Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #76
Josh Reyer

Japan
Re: Osu!

Just an orthographical note.

"Osu" as a greeting (contracted from "Ohayossu", contracted from "Ohayou gozaimasu"), is written in hiragana おっす, and as Yawata-san suggested, can vary by region. It's like "Hiya" or "Howdy".

"Osu" as a response in the dojo is written with ateji kanji (kanji with irregular readings) 押忍. It's essentially a different word from the other (although they probably came from the origin) in use and orthography. They look the same in romanization, but they are two different words.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 02-10-2006, 07:51 AM   #77
Ethan Weisgard
Dojo: Copenhagen Aiki Shuren Dojo
Denmark

I found an article on the web in Japanese some time ago that mentioned that "osu" originated in the Japanese Navy, among the new recruits. It was used, as others mentioned before, as a shortened "ohayo gozaimasu." It morphed into a general reply to orders, as well as a general greeting. It was not considered polite at that time, but it has become a general, multi-purpose greeting or reply. It has sort of a "tough-guy" ring to it in general use in Japan, as someone mentioned earlier, often used in sports clubs etc.

I believe that the use of "osu" depends on the feeling of the dojo, and the dojo-cho.

I remember way back, Inagaki Sensei from the Iwama Dojo often brought his students from a university aikido club to train at the Iwama Dojo. They all used "osu" as a general reply.

Saito Sensei would tell students that "osu" wasn't used in the dojo.

I remember him saying this to one group of students of Inagaki Sensei's, who proceeded to reply with a whole hearted, and unified "OSU!"

In Aiki,

Ethan Weisgard
Old 02-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #78
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Yeah, once it's programmed in, it's hard to be intelligent about it's use.
Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 02-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #79
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England

The real intent is in the way it is said.

A sloppy, lazy, "oossuu" is like the shortened "Ohayou gozaimasu" or "Onegai Shimasu" - disrespectful.

A strong "OSU" with eyes bright and snilimg is very respectful and a joy to an ubderstanding Sensei.

A hissed "Osu" with a black look is similar to the sloppy, lazy way, but with bad feeling.

If you ask any Military Officer, they will explain this in the same way as the troops can say "Yes Sir!"

OSU!

Osu!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #80
jbelly
United_States

Quote:
Si Wilson wrote: View Post
In Yoshinkan, "Osu!" )which sounds like "Ooss!" is said with energy, humility, respect and not a hint of laziness.

OSU!
i remember saying "Osu!" when entering and exiting the dojo. All aikidoka would stop whatever they were doing, and respond with "Osu!". It was a very formal protocol within this dojo.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #81
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States

My favorite piece on the subject of osu.

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/20...-usage-of-osu/

Last edited by OwlMatt : 04-12-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #82
SteveTrinkle
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International
United_States

it's used among Yakusa guys too

Old 05-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #83
Joe Ricard

When I had the distinct privledge to spend 10 days on a Japanses Destroyer many moons ago. Osu was used as a greeting in a very informal way. Among friends. I asked the meaning and the answer was basically lazy slang for ohayo gozaimasu.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #84
Dave Gallagher
Dojo: Shobukan Dojo, St.Louis
United_States

I can only speak from my 40 years experience in Budo. I started in the early 1970's with JKA style Shotokan Karate.. The expression OSS was, and still is, used to mean a number of things like, I understand, yes, hello, goodbye, Karateka use the term to end letters, emails, phone calls etc.

It is much like the motto of the Irish regiments that use Faugh a Ballagh (clear the way). current serving and veteran soldies will use that term to end letters, emails etc. Manny time using FaB instead of writing it iut. The Irish Guards use their motto Quis Saparabit (who will seperate us ?) in much the same way. Often just written as QS.
Most people know the Irish origin of the American military regiment using the motto Garryowen..
In my Aikido training oss was never used. It is not used in Kendo or in any koryu that I know of.
There is no harm in using the term as long as you use it in the spirit of the art.

It is the duty of the strong to protect the weak.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #85
Pusher
United_States

It means "to push" from my dojo.

Hence, Pusher.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #86
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Dave Gallagher wrote: View Post
It is much like the motto of the Irish regiments that use Faugh a Ballagh (clear the way). current serving and veteran soldies will use that term to end letters, emails etc. Manny time using FaB instead of writing it iut. The Irish Guards use their motto Quis Saparabit (who will seperate us ?) in much the same way. Often just written as QS.
Most people know the Irish origin of the American military regiment using the motto Garryowen..
In my Aikido training oss was never used. It is not used in Kendo or in any koryu that I know of.
There is no harm in using the term as long as you use it in the spirit of the art.
our motto is "Oh Shit!" (Crap!). this usually happened during our atemi phase of training, which is 100% of the time or approximately close to it.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org