Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-30-2006, 06:14 AM   #1
"anon"
IP Hash: 0d8eae62
Anonymous User
Feeling Guilty (sort of)

OK heres the situation. I have been with a Dojo for a while and they (organization, teachers and fellow students) are great! A fellow aikidoka, lets call him "Ramone", moved to my town and is hoping to create a dojo, different style, affiliation. I found out, introduced myself and welcomed "Ramone" to town. Through some emails I told "Ramone" about our group and Sensei, and said if you contact our sensei I am sure he would be welcome as we love to have visitors regardless of styles as we like to see different things. Anyway, "Ramone" visited a few times to train, very nice individual. Well I recently found out that "Ramone" has tried to recruit some of our members for his dojo. All this was done on the "down low" as the kids say. Well our sensei found out, talked to "Ramone", and sadly he is no longer welcome. I found out about the situation last night and was shocked.
Now here are my questions:
1) Should I feel guilty for the situation I (sort of) created?
2) What should I do IF "Ramone" contacts me for help with his dojo? Before all this I mentioned I would help if I could but that I have no interest in joining them as I am very happy with where I am currently. Can I rescind this offer? Is that aiki?
3) Should I avoid welcoming people to our group?
FYI, I plan on talking to my sensei tonight about this. But I would just like some others take on this.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2006, 10:43 AM   #2
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Re: Feeling Guilty (sort of)

He's a dick. So: NO.

Offering to open your doors to other people is fine, poaching students isnt.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
No way! You intended to help someone spread a wonderful art to another part of town. No doubt, you probably felt that this person could reach potential students unable to reach your dojo.
Quote:
2) What should I do IF "Ramone" contacts me for help with his dojo? Before all this I mentioned I would help if I could but that I have no interest in joining them as I am very happy with where I am currently. Can I rescind this offer? Is that aiki?
You can offer him advice. I, myself, woud include the advice to not steal students. Tell "Ramone" to print some business cards and invite people to visit his dojo in an open and straightforward manner. If the students want to change to his school after their visit, that's their business. The fact that he was being secretive about it is a little bit sad.
Quote:
Absolutely not! How will you ever share your art with anyone new? How would aikidoka visiting your town find a dojo home if you were constantly afraid of inviting them to yours? Keep doing what you're doing.

Quote:
FYI, I plan on talking to my sensei tonight about this. But I would just like some others take on this.
Hope it helps.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 03-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Nick Simpson wrote:
He's a dick. So: NO.

Offering to open your doors to other people is fine, poaching students isnt.
Wow! I could have made my post so much shorter! You're a genius, Nick!

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 03-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #5
merlynn

Dojo: lone pine ryu school of aiki kyusho jujutsu ,woking & guildford
United Kingdom

i dont think you should feel guilty in wanting to invite some one to your dojo the fact that this moron took advantage of your kindness is awful but dont give up there are a more than enough decent aikidoka out there.
ps i have invited a few of the guys and gals who post on aikiweb to come visit us cos they know they are welcome

some things are so dear and so precious you have to let them go
Old 03-30-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan

Quote:
Nope as said above you were trying to spread your art and possibly your teacher. You invited him he took advantage of it. It reflects on him not you

Quote:
Do you want to help him? I probably would not. Thus I would say no... If he asks just tell him how you feel. Be straight up with him and you can both decide what to do in that situation.

Quote:
NO! If the instructor wants you to invite people then by all means invite people.

I put my right foot in, I put my left foot out, I do the Aikipokey and throw you all about
Old 03-30-2006, 04:13 PM   #7
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

You could not foresee how things would go. Most of us can't. By all means rescind the offer to help with his dojo, it would make you a sort of accomplice. In gassho
Old 03-30-2006, 10:56 PM   #8
Aristeia
New Zealand

Let's not necessarily be too quick to judge Ramone. What does "recruiting on the down low" mean? It could just be that people were chatting in the changing rooms and Ramone told them what he was doing and that they were welcome to check it out as part of normal conversation. Which is innocuous enough but many would interepret as coming in to poach. <shrug>

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 03-30-2006, 11:49 PM   #9
nelsonhomer
Dojo: Kiryukan Dojo(formerly Takemusu Hidaka)
Philippines

in my opinion its up to the student if he feels "ramone" has good aikido, and if the student chose to train with him its ok. if he stays with the old teacher then very good.

in the end students will really see whose stick is "really" bigger
Old 03-31-2006, 02:11 AM   #10
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

Quote:
:
1) Should I feel guilty <snip>
2) What should I do <snip>
3) Should I avoid <snip>

Thanks
As a Therapist-friend of mine often used to say...

There are no "should's."

Last edited by Neil Mick : 03-31-2006 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:04 AM   #11
John (King John)

Dojo: Prince Bishops Durham/ White Rose
England

Would it be unseemly for students to go to both classes?

Grab my arm.....The other arm.....MY other arm
Old 03-31-2006, 05:34 AM   #12
merlynn

Dojo: lone pine ryu school of aiki kyusho jujutsu ,woking & guildford
United Kingdom

Quote:
John Chapman wrote:
Would it be unseemly for students to go to both classes?
no i dont think it would as my sensei mark was once a student of rays , i think its ok as long as neither undermines the others teaching

some things are so dear and so precious you have to let them go
Old 03-31-2006, 06:04 AM   #13
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Quote:
You're a genius, Nick!
I know James, I try to keep it on the downlo though

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.