Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-14-2005, 01:00 AM   #1
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
United_States
Bokken vs Bokken

I'm not sure where this would go so feel free to move it.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has seen or heard one bokken actually cutting another bokken (both wood) in half. Now I don't mean breaking, I am actually talking about cutting that is clean and smooth on both ends.

The story goes that sensei and one of the advanced guys were doing suburi pretty enthusiastically (read full force) with the bokken (before someoen screams WHA!!! at the higher levels they do the same stuff with dulled live blades) and sensei actually cut the other guy's bokken in half. This has been told a couple times and backed up by everyone in the school at the time.

I'm slightly skeptical about this but I guess it is possible if one metal sword can shear off another one and a piece of straw can penetrate a telephone pole.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:27 AM   #2
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: Bokken vs Bokken

"The idea is to transmit the energy completely," explained my sensei. "Just like a cue ball striking another ball."

With that, he used his bokken to strike on top of another bokken. Holding this bokken was Dave, his close student. There was the sound of the sticks hitting, then Dave's bokken broke in two.

A flustered sensei got Dave another bokken and completed the demonstration. But the most interesting thing from the demonstration was the broken bokken. I should say "things", because there were now two pieces.

There was no shattering or splinters from the two pieces. It looked as if the pieces had broken off each other, the way a piece of flint is broken off the main rock. There didn't seem to be any faults within the grain of the bokken. There were no other cracks or splits.

Both the holder and demonstrator were very experience. This was the only time anything like this had happened.

Last edited by tedehara : 08-14-2005 at 08:30 AM.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 08-14-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

There was most likely a natural flaw in the wood.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

Quote:
Lyle Bogin wrote:
There was most likely a natural flaw in the wood.
That is exactly what my reaction to this incident would be. Except I saw it happen and examined the pieces afterward.

Go figure.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You