Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-21-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
Vincent Paglia
United_States
Handle wrapping for a Bokken?

I was told that this can help you maintain your grip. Anyone know where to get sword handle wrappings? I don't want something expensive, b/c my bokken is simple cheap wood.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:27 PM   #2
oudbruin
Dojo: Independent
United_States
Re: Handle wrapping for a Bokken?

Vincent_ if you go the traditional route for a handle wrap- it'll get pricy.
I recomend that you visit your local sports shop and see if they have the leather strips used to wrap tennis racket handles-as an alternative visit the proshop at your local tennis or golf club.
If you buy non selfadhesive type material- I recomend that you take several practice runs before you try to wrap your handle"for real"- a good glue to use the the stuff called "gorella snot", or you can try to use a contact type adhesive- just be aware of the dry/application times and ventaliation requirements. The fumes from some glues can be bad news to your "little grey cells"
If you do the job right, your sensai will be envious, as well as everyone in the dojo. Good Luck!
Bruce
Old 02-21-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
akiy

Here are my thoughts on the subject:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...22&postcount=4

(from this thread: http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6883)

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-21-2005, 02:42 PM   #4
Vincent Paglia
United_States

Thanks for the info. I didn't see that thread before I posted. I think Tennis Racket grip may be the way to go.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States
Lightbulb Re: Handle wrapping for a Bokken?

IMHO, I think you may be trying to find a solution for a problem that could be handled a simpler way. Is your bokken fairly new, to you? If so, have you yet sanded off the varnish coat (with fine grit sand paper) and oiled it with lemon oil or linseed oil? I find that an oiled finish is much less slick than a varnished finish, and actually feels good in your hands. Sweat dosn't seem to affect my grip on oiled wood as much it does on varnished wood.

If you tape the handle, you are probably going to develop some compensatory training problems -- for example, you'll become dependent on the friction of your grip-tape, rather than on your hands and how you manipulate the bokken. Aiki-Weapon traditionalists wouldn't even consider taping a bokken handle (some of them won't even tolerate tsuba...).

I would consider using a couple of cheap rubber hand-strengthening balls, properly conditioning my bokken, and observing more experienced practitioners to see how they "handle" their bokken , before I'd try taping mine.

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 02-22-2005, 04:58 PM   #6
Vincent Paglia
United_States

So I lightly sanded my bokken handle and my jo. I'm going to see how it works for a while. Right now, its slicker than before, but thats to be expected when you sand something. Now that the finish is off though, it should absorb sweat better. I sort of agree with you Peter and Jun, so I'm holding off on the handle wrapping for now.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:20 PM   #7
Lachlan Kadick

Dojo: Oswego Aikido Club
United_States

I would say use something soft, because some of the grip tapes actually encourage you, in a way, to grip tighter, and that impedes your training because both Iaido and Aikikendo you need light grips. I would think something that is like cloth would work.

Think big, Live humbly.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:15 AM   #8
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

You have to ask yourself, why is the grip not good enough on a wooden bokken? It's better not to use aids to account for what may be an incorrect grip. Why/how is it slipping in your hands? What does your sensei say? I've never seen anyone using a special grip on their bokken and I've never felt the need myself. I think I would be a bit perturbed if someone in my class felt they needed a tennis racket grip on their bokken to keep it in their hands.

Last edited by ian : 02-23-2005 at 04:17 AM.