Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-30-2009, 01:05 AM   #26
Suru
United_States
Re: Nervous Newbie - About to Test

My real testing nightmare occurred when I had to uke for a fellow Aikidoka's test right before my test. Toward the end my face must have looked like the Japanese flag. But I passed, and here I am, alive.

Drew
Old 08-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #27
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Linda Eskin wrote: View Post
Hi Tim. How are you doing on your cardio? I'm doing my first test on Sept. 19 (we test for 6 kyu first), and that's something I need work on, big time. I do a lot of walking, and am pretty good at low-level endurance stuff (working hard for hours in the yard, etc.). But I figure for the jiyuwaza part of the test I need higher-intensity, shorter-duration cardio (working really hard for a few minutes), plus remembering to breathe. So my thinking is that I should be training exactly that. Like sprints on the elliptical or something. Anyway, if you've found anything helpful, I'm all ears. :-)

Is your test on the 19th, too? Is this your first? In any case, I'm sure you'll do great.
This is my first test, our dojo is USAF and 6th kyu will be implemented on tests from now on I test on sept.19 and if theres one thing I have learned the xtra classes make a differrence in your learning of the techniques .As far as cardio it,s a little better I have picked up walking but I just want my test to be clean .BTW linda that short sprint idea shounds good I will start doing that.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #28
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Jeremy Morrison wrote: View Post
Three weeks is plenty of time to work on your pins - ask some sempai to work with you after class, maybe. It'll be fine!
Jeremy,it,s the shomenuchi ikkyo pin thats killing me my short arms make it impossible to pin with my back straight settled into the mat but I,m pressing on it will come I,m just keeping the faith.TIM
Old 08-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #29
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

Quote:
Tim Evans wrote: View Post
Jeremy,it,s the shomenuchi ikkyo pin thats killing me my short arms make it impossible to pin with my back straight settled into the mat but I,m pressing on it will come I,m just keeping the faith.TIM
I think it's OK to lean forward from the hips (not be strictly vertical), just keep the extension through your arms, and don't collapse or bend at the waist. Of course, don't trust me on that, ask your sensei or sempai.

Here's some inspiration for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKz3sCr5V8M

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 08-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #30
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Just as a story on preparing...

It seems like not that long ago but I guess it was now... Where does the time go? Anyway, I was ranked at gokyu. So I was told I would be testing for Yonkyu. So being one of those over prepared people I carefully studied the required arts for both yonkyu and sankyu (which my sensei probably saw me do as time permitted). So my test rolls around and I suddenly realize they're asking me both sankyu and *nikyu* arts.

Sheesh...

The nice thing is that they skipped me over yonkyu directly to sankyu.

After that I sat down with various lists and created a list for myself with all the kyu and dan level required arts so I could sort them by attack, technique, level, etc. Then I made sure I knew all of them regardless. Made all the remaining tests I had to take (we test up through sandan so I've been done for a while) a lot less stressful on my obsessive personality.

And all that said... Prepare. Be rested. And when it is time to test, relax and do what you've been training to do. It is time to simply perform. Not much else you can do, neh?

Old 08-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #31
Linda Eskin

United_States

That's great advice. I've found myself very well prepared - for the wrong thing - in the past. Horrifying. Showing up on the right day/time is kinda important, too.

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 08-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #32
tim evans
United_States

I have been doing a walk thru test everyday on my own but it,s so much differrent interacting with uke but the main thing that I am striving for is taking uke,s balance,footwork,proper maai,and go to there shikaku all slow ofcourse.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #33
Voitokas

United_States

Quote:
I think it's OK to lean forward from the hips (not be strictly vertical), just keep the extension through your arms, and don't collapse or bend at the waist. Of course, don't trust me on that, ask your sensei or sempai.
I'd definitely agree with that - it's the curving of the back that breaks your strength over uke; a straight back and bent at the hips should make your sensei happy. It also helps me to angle my front toward uke's head a bit. Try it a few ways with a sempai watching to tell you how it looks! Good luck!

I am not an expert
Old 09-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #34
tim evans
United_States

Test is a week out and I feel ready my instructor signed my test form today under the condition I show up every class next week to be better prepared thats not a problem I just don,t want to let him down and prove to myself I can do this.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #35
allowedcloud
United_States

I'm sure you'll do fine
Old 09-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #36
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Joshua Landin wrote: View Post
I'm sure you'll do fine
I sure hope so josh I was so screwed up I had my gi top on wrongside out
Old 09-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #37
tim evans
United_States

Well guys and gals my 5th kyu test is tommorrow after a few practice tests I feel better but it,s still nerve racking and btw thanks to all who responded.TIM
Old 09-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #38
Linda Eskin

United_States

All the best on your test, Tim! Mine (6th kyu) is tomorrow as well. I'll send out some calm, centered, freely-breathing vibes for you. :-)

Stay focused on how well you are going to do, and picture everything going well. And get some rest.

Cheering you on,
Linda

Old 09-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #39
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
All the best on your test, Tim! Mine (6th kyu) is tomorrow as well. I'll send out some calm, centered, freely-breathing vibes for you. :-)

Stay focused on how well you are going to do, and picture everything going well. And get some rest.

Cheering you on,
Linda
Well Linda those breathing vibes were definitely needed and highly appreciated I thought my test went well my wife and instructor said I was all over the mat hands up ready to engage overall I,m happy with it just need to polish up a few things .beginners a quick tip take as many classes as you can before you test even advanced ones also practice tests help tremendously I,m happy it,s over now on to the couch I,m wore out. linda how did you do?TIM
Old 09-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #40
Linda Eskin

United_States

Congratulations, Tim! Sounds like you did great.

I got some good feedback about my test, too. I'll post something on my blog shortly, with a link to the video. Overall it was fun, and I feel pretty good about how I did.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:02 AM   #41
Darryl Cowens
New Zealand

Good stuff Linda... just read your blog and watched your vid..
Old 09-20-2009, 07:28 AM   #42
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Congratulations, Tim! Sounds like you did great.

I got some good feedback about my test, too. I'll post something on my blog shortly, with a link to the video. Overall it was fun, and I feel pretty good about how I did.
That was awesome linda! good technique and control I,m gonna post later on my test and things that went right and wrong.again linda congrats.TIM
Old 09-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #43
heathererandolph
Dojo: Kokikai Aikido Boston
United_States

To work on your cardio, try to get up faster during class and pick up the pace of technique with your partner. For the test, I suggest working on the beginning and ending of technique confidently. That is what people notice the most.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #44
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Heather Randolph wrote: View Post
To work on your cardio, try to get up faster during class and pick up the pace of technique with your partner. For the test, I suggest working on the beginning and ending of technique confidently. That is what people notice the most.
Thanks heather those are great tips and I will use them. My test went well up to tsuki kotegaeshi my first 2 went good on the 3rd one some how me and my uke got jammed up and I ended up throwing him off and he rolled out and I have to take my hat off to him he really helped me a lot thanks chuck.This was a great expierence that I will remember for the rest of my life.TIM