Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-12-2001, 01:22 PM   #1
lili
my first sensei.

hi every body,
i have a problem, and i went help please:
i practice aikido since 2years, in the same dojo. now i would like to change, to see another sensei, another method to learn..but in the same time i can't let my first sensei, cause i feel something like fidelity for him.
He gave me many things during this 2years and i feel that i must stay with him for giving all this for the new aikidoka..
please tell me what do you think?
thank you.
Old 12-12-2001, 02:13 PM   #2
JMCavazos
Dojo: Aikido Center of South Texas
United_States
In my aikido career I have had 3 senseis. The first one introduced me to the art and I trained with him for 3 years. I learned a lot from him, but I knew that at some point I would need to move on because I felt that he could only take me up to a certain level. I felt bad leaving this teacher because I too felt loyalty.

My next sensei I trained with for about 3 years also, and he helped take me to the next level. In this level I got to really know my current sensei better. I did not feel bad leaving this instructor, because I haven't really left. We work together in helping to spread Aikido in South Texas. When I became an instructor, my sensei became someone else on a different level.

I will continue learning from my current sensei until he or I are no longer here! I have found the man that I can learn from - it seems like forever.

I want to mention that throughout my entire Aikido career I have attended seminars from my current sensei. My first teacher started with my current sensei then split out on his own. My second teacher also started out with my current sensei. He & I get along great and we help each other with our respective dojos. Through his help I was able to begin teaching and through this I eventually became the student of my current sensei.

So, in a nutshetll, you need to find the sensei that you feel you need to be with at your current state of aikido. If you are lucky, you can find that great teacher on your first try, otherwise keep trying - but don't give up on the art.

Good Luck in your search.
Old 12-12-2001, 08:37 PM   #3
Edward
Thailand
Believe me, there is no problem in changing your dojo. Your sensei will understand that and will be happy for you. Loyalty is not about staying in a room which is too small for you. It is in the heart. It is a kind of gratitude that you feel for your sensei for the rest of your life, regardless of the distance that separates you.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:47 PM   #4
shihonage
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by Edward
It is in the heart. It is a kind of gratitude that you feel for your sensei for the rest of your life, regardless of the distance that separates you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	16  
Old 12-12-2001, 10:01 PM   #5
Edward
Thailand
Thank you, shihonage...
Old 12-12-2001, 10:17 PM   #6
shihonage
United_States
You're welcome
Old 12-12-2001, 11:05 PM   #7
jk
Talking

Heh-heh...

Just to throw in my 2 cents, my first sensei (not in aikido) encouraged me to go out and learn what I can from other teachers/styles, especially after I got kicked upstairs into the dan ranks. In other words, he encouraged me to cross-train, and did not bat an eye when I went through my kung fu fightin' stage...

Indeed, now that I am not under his tutelage, and am practicing a different(?) art, I still feel a loyalty towards him that perhaps would not have existed if he subscribed to the notion that his art was the "one true way." Perhaps it is the mark of a good sensei that he/she encourages you to find out what else is out there, and perhaps switch dojos if it comes to that.

Just some rambling on a SLOW business day...

Regards,