Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
mraikido
Egypt
What I Think "Ki" Is

I Think That (ki = Feelings,emotions)
Negative Ki Is
Anger,pain,grief,sadness
Positive Ki Is
Happiness,courage,
To Extend Positive Ki ,you Should Recall Positive Ideas And Neglect Bad Negative Or Bad Ideas
Old 08-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Zach Trent
Dojo: Integral Dojo
Israel
Re: What I Think "Ki" Is

As Salam Alakum Wael!

I like your definition of Ki-

I think that Ki is life energy- what animates us- I think unless we ponder and excercise our life energy that it inherently stays up toward our brain where our instincts and nervous system reactions dwell.

After we think about our life energy and excercise identifying it for a while, I think that we can expand that life energy so that it can dwell near our center as well- At that point I think we can begin to be a little more sensitive toward other living things, which to me is where this idea of human connectedness comes from.

But then again, I'm really new at this- so I'm sure my ideas will change eventually!
Old 08-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
Pneuma, prana, spirit, ruach, and so on...

This is an ever returning subject, of course. The nature of ki. It's not at all something unique to the Eastern traditions. I recently published a book exploring lots of synonyms to ki - such as prana, pneuma, spirit, ruach, and on and on.

Aristotle was probably right at the core of it, when he wondered what makes it possible for us to move. To the ancient mind, voluntary movement was what defined life. So, the life force was something that made us move.

As I have said many times on this forum, I like to think of ki as the ether of intention. We will to move, and the ether or agent of this will is ki.
At least, that works well in the budo applications of ki

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: https://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd
Old 08-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States

What is bad, or negative to the unknowable source from which KI flows? Does it make judgments on energy by the same moral standards developed by human social interaction? If an earthquake kills 10,000 people, we don't say it was evil or bad, because it comes from nature, which is without malice or judgment. Does KI also possibly flow from nature? Look at the Yin Yang, good and bad, positive and negative seamlessly blended into the whole. Anger, pain, grief and sadness are perfect. As are their opposites. They have their appropriate place, and in that place they are the perfect response to the situation. They all blend seamlessly and should be regarded and appreciated as equals.

On that note, "Join the dark side, luke, together we can rule the universe as father and son..."

and...

'Curious indeed how these things happen. The wand chooses the wizard, remember.... I think we must expect great things from you, Mr Potter.... After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things — terrible, yes, but great.'

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 08-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

"From Wakan Tanka, the Great Spirit, there came a great unifying life force that flowed in and through all things -- the flowers of the plains, blowing winds, rocks, trees, birds, animals -- and was the same force that had been breathed into the first man. Thus all things were kindred, and were brought together by the same Great Mystery."- Luther Standing Bear, Chief of the Lakota

I used to think just like the above folks, and I guess this thought isn't that much different. Everyone above touched upon it.
I stumbled upon a realization one day that our approach as empericaly driven people, fragmented by fragments, is seperate from the wholeness of life that my Indigenous Ancestors spoke of and then it came to follow that my Aikido understandings and my relationship to the founder took on a different dimension; it took on the perspective of an indigenous practice and not of an emperical practice, if one could seperate the two.

Food for thought,
Jen

If you're interested in learning a little bit more about this slant
http://www.indigenouspeople.net/JapaneseLit/.
and
http://www.indigenouspeople.net/standbea.htm.

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 08-06-2008 at 03:16 PM.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 08-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
Buck
United_States
Re: Pneuma, prana, spirit, ruach, and so on...

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote: View Post
This is an ever returning subject, of course. The nature of ki. It's not at all something unique to the Eastern traditions. I recently published a book exploring lots of synonyms to ki - such as prana, pneuma, spirit, ruach, and on and on.

Aristotle was probably right at the core of it, when he wondered what makes it possible for us to move. To the ancient mind, voluntary movement was what defined life. So, the life force was something that made us move.

As I have said many times on this forum, I like to think of ki as the ether of intention. We will to move, and the ether or agent of this will is ki.
At least, that works well in the budo applications of ki
I like what you said here, no too many people talk about how differently people thing then (when the term ki was coined) and now. Today, we understand more of our world and what we are then past generations. Ki was a word or term to describe something that honestly was not understand very well, yes it was applied, but not well understood. Because of the lack of understanding ki got a myriad of definitions. People though the ages morphed it, because I guess the idea of ki came from China, and the way chi is written is describing empirically (best they could at that time) a natural action. How that action was applied and how it was communicated was kind of up to anyone interpretation, and the way to teach it for centuries, and even to day people don't agree on a single meaning or have the same way of communicating what ki is. But in our modern times we are getting closer to that because we undertanding the natural world.

Some people resist change, others don't, l don't resist change. I think to think of ki more as intention like you said, then anything else.

Zoombie ki- it is funny that zoombies can run, yet no matter where you run to, they are always standing right behind you groaning. I have never seen a zoombie run, its gotta be the bad knees. What is with all Zoombies having bad knees? Frankinstein's monster had bad knees too. So what is it about such monsters that have knees that don't work? I wonder if Dracula had a bad back from all that flying around. Zoombie and monster threads gotta love the classics.

Last edited by Buck : 08-06-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
Rev.K. Barrish

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja
United_States

Hello Aikido List members,

re KI, may I add a bit from a Jinja Shinto perspective?

Basic of Shinto is to seek to lead a positive, creative, fulfilled life, receiving wisdom and strength from Great Nature. Ohmitama is a term used to describe this infinite power of Divine/Great Nature.

Ohmitama consists of four aspects: KON (Soul), MEI (Life), REI (Spirit) and KI (Primal Causer).

KON is the Soul. When we can become appreciative of everything in Great Nature we can renew ourselves as Children of the Divine World.

MEI is Life..our human life is nourished by energy from the Sun…when we realize this pivotal fact of our existence we can begin to understand existence.

REI can mean spirituality or a spirit or a ghost. Rei can be low and impure or high and refined….if we purify ourselves we can raise our spirituality.

KI is primal causer…everything is started by KI. The Great Universe is started by KI. Your mood, decisions and actions are initiated by Ki. Of course negative Ki exists but we can purify ourselves to sense Ki and to receive positive Ki

thank you
Koichi Barrish
Senior Shinto Priest
Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America
Old 08-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

Ki is manifest when mind and body are coordinated. It is the attainment of one's strongest possible state, when intent and action are one, which defines what Ki is on a personal level.

Ron
Old 08-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Lawrence Koichi Barrish wrote: View Post
Hello Aikido List members,

re KI, may I add a bit from a Jinja Shinto perspective?

Basic of Shinto is to seek to lead a positive, creative, fulfilled life, receiving wisdom and strength from Great Nature. Ohmitama is a term used to describe this infinite power of Divine/Great Nature.

Ohmitama consists of four aspects: KON (Soul), MEI (Life), REI (Spirit) and KI (Primal Causer).

KON is the Soul. When we can become appreciative of everything in Great Nature we can renew ourselves as Children of the Divine World.

MEI is Life..our human life is nourished by energy from the Sun…when we realize this pivotal fact of our existence we can begin to understand existence.

REI can mean spirituality or a spirit or a ghost. Rei can be low and impure or high and refined….if we purify ourselves we can raise our spirituality.

KI is primal causer…everything is started by KI. The Great Universe is started by KI. Your mood, decisions and actions are initiated by Ki. Of course negative Ki exists but we can purify ourselves to sense Ki and to receive positive Ki

thank you
Koichi Barrish
Senior Shinto Priest
Sensei,
Thank You for this very nice explanation from a Shinto base.I find similarities in reference and experience to that of Lakota, Great Nature, 'perspectives'.
Would you be willing to talk about creationist Ki 'relationships' in terms of kotodama?
If you could talk a little about that I'd be very happy to hear your thoughts.Onegaishimasu.

Jen

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 08-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #10
Rev.K. Barrish

United_States

Hello everyone,

Hello Ms. Smith. Thank you for your kind words and for your wonderful post:
“"From Wakan Tanka, the Great Spirit, there came a great unifying life force that flowed in and through all things -- the flowers of the plains, blowing winds, rocks, trees, birds, animals -- and was the same force that had been breathed into the first man. Thus all things were kindred, and were brought together by the same Great Mystery."- Luther Standing Bear, Chief of the Lakota

I used to think just like the above folks, and I guess this thought isn't that much different. Everyone above touched upon it.
I stumbled upon a realization one day that our approach as empericaly driven people, fragmented by fragments, is seperate from the wholeness of life that my Indigenous Ancestors spoke of and then it came to follow that my Aikido understandings and my relationship to the founder took on a different dimension; it took on the perspective of an indigenous practice and not of an emperical practice, if one could seperate the two.”

This is really profound and of course exactly as Shinto thinking…

Re: Origin/Genisis of the Universe…………
At the beginning of the Universe (AMETSUCHI HAJIMETE OKOROSHI TOKI NI TAKAAMANOHARA NI NARIMASERU KAMI NO NA WA) from the original nothingness from which all things originated, there came into existence the very 1st Kami AMENOMINAKANUSHI. As the Universe was formed next to appear was TAKAMIMUSUBINOOUKAMI the Kami of Birth and next was KAMIMUSUBINOOUKAMI the Kami of Growth.
the Three Kami: AME-NO-MI-NAKA-NUSHI-NO-OU-KAMI, TAKAMA-MUSUBI-NO-KAMI and KAMI-MUSUBI-NO-KAMI are referred to as ZOKANOSANSHIN or the Three Divine Creators. In this early stage of development of the Universe the core of Shinto, MUSUBI is revealed ...Musubi is: forces of creating, combining, germinating, generative positive forces.

The Kototama thinking of the origin of the Universe is that it is beginning perpetually here and now..I think Kaiso said something to the effect of”

“Aiki is the activity of being taught by Okami about the echoes of the soul of Universal design/creation”

Aiki began with the creation of the Universe” (appearance of AMENOMINAKANUSHINOOUKAMI)

Thank you
Koichi Barrish
Senior Shinto Priest
Old 08-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #11
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
I stumbled upon a realization one day that our approach as empericaly driven people, fragmented by fragments, is seperate from the wholeness of life...
As an empirical matter, since "ki' has also an empirical physical meaning, I see the concept as "inclination" with all that it implies physically, and motivationally. "Inclined" is a statement of potential, an acknowledgment of a center about which a rotation is poised in suspense, and if released (relaxed) and not impeded, it will follow through without additional "effort." This makes it a matter of moment or angular momentum as a fundamental quantity of the universe. Obviously, to commence an inclination requires a modicum of intention and some effort but once commenced the action transpires (Lit. -- "breathes through") on its own, i.e -- kokyu ho.

As a spiritual matter, I tend to agree with the following -- with a gloss that makes it (as Atsutane first suggested) harmonious with explicitly Western Christian thought, and following O Sensei who referred to John 1:1 explicitly identifying of the Divine Logos (Word) of Christ as the root of kotodama (lit. "spirit of the word"):

Quote:
Re: Origin/Genisis of the Universe…………
At the beginning of the Universe (AMETSUCHI HAJIMETE OKOROSHI TOKI NI TAKAAMANOHARA NI NARIMASERU KAMI NO NA WA) from the original nothingness from which all things originated, there came into existence the very 1st Kami AMENOMINAKANUSHI. As the Universe was formed next to appear was TAKAMIMUSUBINOOUKAMI the Kami of Birth and next was KAMIMUSUBINOOUKAMI the Kami of Growth.
the Three Kami: AME-NO-MI-NAKA-NUSHI-NO-OU-KAMI, TAKAMA-MUSUBI-NO-KAMI and KAMI-MUSUBI-NO-KAMI are referred to as ZOKANOSANSHIN or the Three Divine Creators. In this early stage of development of the Universe the core of Shinto, MUSUBI is revealed ...Musubi is: forces of creating, combining, germinating, generative positive forces.

The Kototama thinking of the origin of the Universe is that it is beginning perpetually here and now..I think Kaiso said something to the effect of"

"Aiki is the activity of being taught by Okami about the echoes of the soul of Universal design/creation"

Aiki began with the creation of the Universe" (appearance of AMENOMINAKANUSHINOOUKAMI).
Western ideas and Shinto concepts of deity are not as far removed as one might think.

Compare, in light of the thought of ki as inclination or motion and potential movement about a center with the meaning of the spirit of the word, kotodama, transpiring, breathing through, all creation.

Creation was made real through the action of the Lord of the Center Heaven ( Amenominakamushi no kami), and the action of the other two in the Creator Trinity: the Lord of the incarnate Creation (Takamimusubi no Kami), and the Holy Spirit of the invisible or spiritual Creation (Kamimusubi no Kami).

These three, of all others, are the only Kami who "became" and were not originally "born." These three, of all others are the only kami that are "hidden" which is to say they are everywhere and nowhere, not bound or enshrined in any place or thing (mono), which is the case with all other forms of high spiritual beings (kami), including even the exalted among human spiritual beings.

John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it."

From the Nicene Creed: "...One God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen....

... One Lord... God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, one in being with the Father... through him all THINGS were made;

...the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of Life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son.... He has SPOKEN through the Prophets."

Relating the two, physical and spiritual, Christian understanding of God in the Thomistic sense as "Prime mover" sees all creation, visible and invisible, as moving in, through, and because of the movement of the Center of all being -- as the movement of Aiki is the movement of all things in, through and because of the motion of the center.

That light of the movement of Creation is mirrored back on the Created, by a blessed mother who by means of seiyaku 誓約, her spoken pledge (i.e. -- kotodama) bore into the world in physical form the divine principle that was joined with coarse humanity (Amaterasu) ("illumination of Heaven") This is the joining of heaven and earth the source of purity, symbolized by juuji 十字 the sign of the cross, joining in the Center the vertical plane of heaven to the horizontal plane of earth.

That illumination later enlightened and purified a terrible sword of destruction, redeeming (Murakomo) (Heavenly cloud cleaver), that dispels the clouds that impede the light shining out from the center of all Being and the center of all beings. It becomes Kusanagi (grass cutter) the sword that destroys creeping impurities like cutting down overgrown grass. It is the sword of life (Katsu jinken), brought by the anointed (christ) of Heaven. Our sins and impurities cloud or choke out the light and its benefits; and so we must be purified by its sharp, continuous and vigorous discipline to share in the light of divine grace.

Thus, the physical, empirical and spiritual are all of a piece and not different from one another.

But the darkness has not understood it.

Last edited by Erick Mead : 08-08-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:47 AM   #12
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
As an empirical matter, since "ki' has also an empirical physical meaning, I see the concept as "inclination" with all that it implies physically, and motivationally. "Inclined" is a statement of potential, an acknowledgment of a center about which a rotation is poised in suspense, and if released (relaxed) and not impeded, it will follow through without additional "effort." This makes it a matter of moment or angular momentum as a fundamental quantity of the universe. Obviously, to commence an inclination requires a modicum of intention and some effort but once commenced the action transpires (Lit. -- "breathes through") on its own, i.e -- kokyu ho.

As a spiritual matter, I tend to agree with the following -- with a gloss that makes it (as Atsutane first suggested) harmonious with explicitly Western Christian thought, and following O Sensei who referred to John 1:1 explicitly identifying of the Divine Logos (Word) of Christ as the root of kotodama (lit. "spirit of the word"):

Western ideas and Shinto concepts of deity are not as far removed as one might think.

Compare, in light of the thought of ki as inclination or motion and potential movement about a center with the meaning of the spirit of the word, kotodama, transpiring, breathing through, all creation.

Creation was made real through the action of the Lord of the Center Heaven ( Amenominakamushi no kami), and the action of the other two in the Creator Trinity: the Lord of the incarnate Creation (Takamimusubi no Kami), and the Holy Spirit of the invisible or spiritual Creation (Kamimusubi no Kami).

These three, of all others, are the only Kami who "became" and were not originally "born." These three, of all others are the only kami that are "hidden" which is to say they are everywhere and nowhere, not bound or enshrined in any place or thing (mono), which is the case with all other forms of high spiritual beings (kami), including even the exalted among human spiritual beings.

John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it."

From the Nicene Creed: "...One God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen....

... One Lord... God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, one in being with the Father... through him all THINGS were made;

...the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of Life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son.... He has SPOKEN through the Prophets."

Relating the two, physical and spiritual, Christian understanding of God in the Thomistic sense as "Prime mover" sees all creation, visible and invisible, as moving in, through, and because of the movement of the Center of all being -- as the movement of Aiki is the movement of all things in, through and because of the motion of the center.

That light of the movement of Creation is mirrored back on the Created, by a blessed mother who by means of seiyaku ??, her spoken pledge (i.e. -- kotodama) bore into the world in physical form the divine principle that was joined with coarse humanity (Amaterasu) ("illumination of Heaven") This is the joining of heaven and earth the source of purity, symbolized by juuji ?? the sign of the cross, joining in the Center the vertical plane of heaven to the horizontal plane of earth.

That illumination later enlightened and purified a terrible sword of destruction, redeeming (Murakomo) (Heavenly cloud cleaver), that dispels the clouds that impede the light shining out from the center of all Being and the center of all beings. It becomes Kusanagi (grass cutter) the sword that destroys creeping impurities like cutting down overgrown grass. It is the sword of life (Katsu jinken), brought by the anointed (christ) of Heaven. Our sins and impurities cloud or choke out the light and its benefits; and so we must be purified by its sharp, continuous and vigorous discipline to share in the light of divine grace.

Thus, the physical, empirical and spiritual are all of a piece and not different from one another.

But the darkness has not understood it.
Thank you, Eric.

To clarify one little bit, The first portion of your post contains a quote from Rev. Barrish's post. Those are my words he didn't actually say them, initially( however I love that he had great things to say and provided a wonderful context). So if there is a difference to be picked it would be with me. But I don't think there is much of a difference between our perspectives on the thought, anyhow.

The christian context you bring up above was also rolling around in my mind but I didn't have the stamina to get to it. So thanks for that, too.
Finally, I also agree that the physical spiritual and empirical are not different from one another.

And so we begin to unveil dark-matter.......I can't wait for science to speak more to this.

Best,
Jen

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 08-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #13
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Reverend Barrish,
Thanks for your well written thoughts. I'm enjoying and learning from them.

The last quote of your post brings to mind Yama-Biko, the Way of the Mountain Echo Path, as O'Sensei described Aikido. Would you mind saying a little bit about that potential correllary?
Onegaishimasu.

Your post indicated:
The Kototama thinking of the origin of the Universe is that it is beginning perpetually here and now..I think Kaiso said something to the effect of”

“Aiki is the activity of being taught by Okami about the echoes of the soul of Universal design/creation”

Aiki began with the creation of the Universe” (appearance of AMENOMINAKANUSHINOOUKAMI)

Domo Arigato Gozaimashita,
Jen

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 08-08-2008 at 10:53 AM.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 08-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #14
Rev.K. Barrish

United_States

Hello Aikido List members

Ms. Smith thank you again for kind thinking…

The last quote of your post brings to mind Yama-Biko, the Way of the Mountain Echo Path, as O'Sensei described Aikido. Would you mind saying a little bit about that potential correllary?
Onegaishimasu.

Your post indicated:

It is really interesting you mention Yamabiko-no-Michi as I have had a real fascination with that subject for many years……Of course I cannot speak for Kaiso, but I think Yamabiko-no-Michi is the apex of physical Aiki technique…may I ask do you ever have occasion to visit the Pacific Northwest.. I would like to welcome you to Tsubaki Jinja and Kannagara Aiki Training…also I can be in Kings Beach CA next weekend at the Matsuba Dojo of Jason House Sensei and we will without fail explore Yamabiko-no-Michi in some depth during the weekend..in my opinion a useful key has to do with the echo of primal earth resonance, natural waves of rising and falling of KI and tension between centralization and extension…of course common vocabulary comes from shared training experience…yoroshiku oneagaishimasu

Koichi Barrish
Tsubaki Kannagara Aikido
Old 08-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #15
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Rev. Barrish,
Thank you for the kind invitation. I would be delighted to train with you. If not at the upcoming Kings Beach Seminar, where the mountains are amazing, than certainly at your shrine in the near future.
Jen

Please look for a PM from me.

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 08-12-2008 at 12:11 PM.

Jennifer Paige Smith