Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #26
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Henry Wang sifu's no touch

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
I am not sure and I am going to say it is so or not. The feats Wang does could be actual, if he is or isn't credible. I don't want to walk into that debate unless I have experienced it. But....when the students say what Wang student said it isn't something that can be ignored; along with a certain type of testimonials. What is the purpose of doing such feats? If it is to show master of a principle and someone goes over the top to keep people's attention- people do want more as unfortunate as it is audiences are there to be entertained. Is the feat being done in the dojo to inspire, even if it over the top. I think we can over look such things and give a little in that regard. But, is it for me the mentality and perspective, and attitude the students have toward the instructor's skills and abilities. People do believe their own press, and people will believe something that isn't possible to be possible for lots of reasons.

If the principle is there and it is demonstrated in exaggeration without any press that for me is tolerable. But when you have people, rationalizing things as Wang's student than that is a major concern.
Phillip:

People on this forum have been asking you for a LONG TIME NOW to step up to the plate and show us what you personally have to offer. We would love to meet you "experience" anything for that matter, so that we know what you do bring to the debate. Words are cheap and actions say it all. You seem to be good at cut and paste with things, but what do you really know and can show about any of this?

Marc Abrams
Old 07-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #27
Buck
United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
Well, if no touch knock out powers worked on everyone, there would be an easy $1,000,000.00 in his future via http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/...plication.html
I agree with these links
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dV90...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwnF_...eature=related

FWIW, For me, I haven't seen Wang's abilities tested, and at least one of his student is making rationalization of concern. That is one student I know of. I would have to read or hear other students. I am not going to judge Wang's professed ability to project energy, until I experience it. I just see him professing a special feat. Is he a fraud. don't know. He could be, or he couldn't.

We also know that Taoism became superstitious which became infused itself becoming a big part of Chinese martial arts.

I look at these type of things as truth in marketing. Wang can project energy, but how he defines and uses projection of energy and his purpose for it needs to be looked it. In addition to who is marketing him and why. Whether he can do no touch or not, Wang is following that Chinese martial arts Taoist platform. That is for better or worse. But usually, that platform is less impressive and archaic in our modern world.

Some Chinese martial artist uses their Qi to pull a bus with their genitalia. That catches people's attention and advertises the existence of Qi (which it self is very abstract and has many definitions) and attests to their skill. A skill personally am not interested in. But there is a point that a seemingly weak part of the body can be so strong. That Qi is a the root of such a feat to develop something weak into something strong.

That feat as weird as it is to me, is pointing out a purpose. Whether proving that Qi exists or not as an entity to itself, used at will isn't important to me. That is just a matter of language, explanation, and knowledge of an ability. Any such ability has to be closely looked at. I had heard stories of Chinese Martial Artists running up walls. I didn't believe it. Until that stunt became popular some years ago in the entertainment world. Plus, that French running over obstacles and doing acrobatic stunts became popular. And people where doing incredible feats like running up walls. So yes people can run up wall, but only to a point without the add of a mechanical device.

Point being for me it is not being skeptical rather than truth in advertising. Because the Chinese Martial Arts have that Taoism in it you have to pay close attention to what is being advertised.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #28
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Dave with all due respect, with no intention of being argumentative, nor thinking you must agree, and I am not even read you clearly getting your meaning. But here goes.

With Wang my concern was his student's rationalization, and views. In Takeda's case, seeing him just now for the first time on YouTube, he is demonstrating principles, and not professing projecting a some kind of power. Many times do I watch skilled craftsmen with years of experience do things seemly effortlessly. Ever watch a pro float concrete, I mean a guy who has been doing for 15 years, who apprenticed? It is amazing how similar such a man and Takeda move. It is as if the pro floater wasn't touching the cement at all with this floater. As if the water magically rose to the surface of the concrete. Watching such a guy work is magic.

Or better yet, watching Tiger Woods or some pro golfer who has the best swing in the world, btw I don't play much golf, would be par with Takeda. In contrast to someone saying they can hit a ball without hitting it with a club and the caddy rationalizing it the same way as Wang's student is something of a concern.

I see Takeda showing Aikido techniques, where as I see Wang demonstrating a feat. It isn't an issue for me if both men are actually effective. Again, it is the state of mind of the students.
Philip,

I was referring to Takeda's teaching not his feat or aikido techniques.

David Y
Old 07-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #29
Buck
United_States

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Phillip:

People on this forum have been asking you for a LONG TIME NOW to step up to the plate and show us what you personally have to offer. We would love to meet you "experience" anything for that matter, so that we know what you do bring to the debate. Words are cheap and actions say it all. You seem to be good at cut and paste with things, but what do you really know and can show about any of this?

Marc Abrams
Marc, I have never met you, and I am really unclear what issues you may have. You are welcome to PM. But I don't believe the use of this forum is for the direction you are heading. Aikiweb, I feel, is a place to share knowledge for the betterment of those who come here seeking knowledge. I didn't believe that early on, and made an ass of myself behaving disrespectfully. Sadly, I subscribed to that and the disrespecting of the forum, due to misreading this forum. Jun, I believed, worked hard at getting the forum back on track. And I didn't see that or respect that. And that reflected badly on me.

But, I took some time off and re-evaluated my behavior and attitude on this forum. I feel disrespecting others with insults and jabs publicly on a forum is disrupting and disrespectful to the purpose of the forum and readers seeking information.

Therefore, because I no longer have interest to continuing to engage in senseless bickering and insults and such behaviors, as I demonstrated. I hope those who I have had such engagements will see my efforts. And as a result, we can establish a mutual respect in our words and posts, and thus, we can move on toward respectfully sharing our experiences and knowledge - what ever that maybe.

In all sincerely,

Last edited by Buck : 07-22-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #30
Buck
United_States

Quote:
David Yap wrote: View Post
Philip,

I was referring to Takeda's teaching not his feat or aikido techniques.

David Y
Opps, my bad Dave, sorry about that. Thanks for pointing that out.

I am not sure. I can't give an opinion really. Of what I seen on Youtube, it seems he is talking about principles that he is demonstrating. I do see skill in him. I see principles he is applying. I am not so concern with the uke's reactions. And he is demonstrating and teaching to a group of Aikidoka. You can't control really how a person reacts. Some uke's have bias, or star struck, or just want the sensei to look good for the school or the uke's personal own reasons. It is hard to control that.I liked after the demo, Takeda was demonstrating on a white belt and his skills came through similarly to his demo. Based on that I will assume he would be willing to demonstrate on others, and not just his own students. That is my take.

That is my opinion, and I may sound bias toward those like Takeda over those like Wang. But Wang's approach is different, but am not a 100% sure of that, as that is based on what I read and seen in the links and on Youtube. And I am not out to discredit Wang. Rather understand what he is really doing. Unlike Aikido I don't recognize as many principles going on with Wang. And he is demonstrating a feat, that I don't fully comprehend as well as that of Aikido.

Last edited by Buck : 07-22-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #31
Marc Abrams
United_States

Quote:
Marc, I have never met you, and I am really unclear what issues you may have. You are welcome to PM. But I don't believe the use of this forum is for the direction you are heading. Aikiweb, I feel, is a place to share knowledge for the betterment of those who come here seeking knowledge. I didn't believe that early on, and made an ass of myself behaving disrespectfully. Sadly, I subscribed to that and the disrespecting of the forum, due to misreading this forum. Jun, I believed, worked hard at getting the forum back on track. And I didn't see that or respect that. And that reflected badly on me.

But, I took some time off and re-evaluated my behavior and attitude on this forum. I feel disrespecting others with insults and jabs publicly on a forum is disrupting and disrespectful to the purpose of the forum and readers seeking information.

Therefore, because I no longer have interest to continuing to engage in senseless bickering and insults and such behaviors, as I demonstrated. I hope those who I have had such engagements will see my efforts. And as a result, we can establish a mutual respect in our words and posts, and thus, we can move on toward respectfully sharing our experiences and knowledge - what ever that maybe.

In all sincerely,
Buck:

Believe or not, I am not trying to belittle you. You write about things in a manner that many of us interpret as coming from a "keyboard warrior." These types of people add little to serious discussions because of a true lack of experience and knowledge and are typically posting for attention-seeking purposes. I cannot think of another person on this forum who has steadfastly refused to talk about actual experience, current experience, past, present teachers,...... I am simply asking for some hard, cold facts so that we can honestly evaluated where you are coming from when you post. There should be no shame in stating that one has no real experience or knowledge and is seeking such. There should be no reason why someone should not want to be open and honest with others as to what one's real experiences are. I cannot think of any legitimate reason as to why you try and hide the facts about your martial arts experience, particularly when it is so frequently called into question because of the nature of your posts. You have been and are continuously given the benefit of the doubt by many. What is your obligation to try and set the record straight as to who you are and what you can do and what you represent?

True martial arts begins with integrity in all aspects of ones' live. Standing behind and in front of one's words should be a simple prerequisite. The beauty about martial arts is that one cannot hide behind one's words. That only exists on cyberspace. The integrity of an honest answer from you simply allows us to appropriate evaluation information. There are a good number of us that dedicate our lives towards what we do. We put in countless hours and remarkable costs to do what we do. When we engage in these discussions, we are open about who we are, what we do, what we think..... This allows us to be able to process information efficiently in order to help us along the way.

Stop deflecting legitimate questions and step up to the plate so that we can continue discussions with a genuine understanding as to the person behind the information.

Sincerely,

Marc Abrams
Old 07-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #32
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Josh Philipson wrote: View Post
Don,
These are some excellent points. I'm currently looking into starting a cult; and am wondering if you had any other ideas along these lines.
Thanks,
Josh "Hodjie" P.

p.s. good post! .. just kidding around.
Well, you need to force everyone to conform in some small way that won't really let them think about. Say like making them all dress alike.

Next you need to have some kind of authority hierarchy. Some way in which they can seemingly gain power or authority over new comers. Of course this authority should only be able to be handed down by you. You also need to reinforce the system by commenting on how they are getting better at whatever it is you are using as control. Tell them how bad they were when they first got there, and how great they are now. You also need to get them financially involved. It is a lot harder to leave something when you have put time AND money into it. Finally you need a really awesome title

I think I just described almost every martial art class I've ever encountered

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 07-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #33
Patrick Hutchinson

"We also know that Taoism became superstitious which became infused itself becoming a big part of Chinese martial arts."

Can anyone parse this for me?
Old 07-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #34
C. David Henderson
United_States

I read it to say, "As Taosim became infused into TCMA, the superstitions that had become part of Taosim became, in turn, a 'big part' Chinese Martial arts."

Whether that's accurate or not, I'll leave to someone with knowledge in these areas to address. But hey, I do own a copy of the I Ching, somewhere, I think ....

David Henderson
Old 07-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #35
Buck
United_States

Quote:
Charles David Henderson wrote: View Post
I read it to say, "As Taosim became infused into TCMA, the superstitions that had become part of Taosim became, in turn, a 'big part' Chinese Martial arts."

Whether that's accurate or not, I'll leave to someone with knowledge in these areas to address. But hey, I do own a copy of the I Ching, somewhere, I think ....
Good, point. We shouldn't believe everything we hear or read, or see. I certainly don't advocate it. It is not about being skeptical for me as much as it is a good thing to do hold off on judgement until the research is done and make the decision of validity. Keep an open mind. Even if it isn't valid, there is something to learn, or even a motivation tool.

I had in the past had a view that myth was bad, and now I see it as tied in with mystery. And mystery can be very motivating and have some surprising results. That is Wang is presenting a model. Let's see if no-touch, how ever you define it, is possible. Maybe it isn't. But the journey can have some surprising discoveries and results.

Here are some links just for the heck of it I found on the net. Can't vouch for the credibility but they look pretty good. Maybe you will find better,t here is a start.

http://www.plumflower.com/philosophy...artial_art.htm
http://www.daoiststudies.org/dao/con...m-introduction
http://history.cultural-china.com/en...story5052.html
Old 07-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #36
C. David Henderson
United_States

FWIW, I was hoping you would respond to Marc, not to me. Sorry Marc. I really don't see this as about you avoiding "bickering" but "embarrassment." FWIW

David Henderson
Old 07-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #37
Buck
United_States

Opps...I quoted Dave instead of Patrick.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #38
Buck
United_States

Quote:
FWIW, I was hoping you would respond to Marc, not to me. Sorry Marc. I really don't see this as about you avoiding "bickering" but "embarrassment." FWIW
Marc's post is really off-topic, and can be handled via a new thread or PM. Dave your welcome to PM me if you like. And sorry about quoting you instead of Patrick. And out of respect for David Yap and this forum, I wish to stay on more topic and out of personal discussions where the thread could be closed. I don't want that to happen to David Yap's thread.

Last edited by Buck : 07-22-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #39
Marc Abrams
United_States

Quote:
Charles:

How does that song go? " It's the same old story yeah......"

Buck:

Feel free to start a new thread and answer the questions. PM's have been done already without a straight and/or honest answer. The reality is that answering the questions are not off topic but actually on topic. They provide the necessary context for answers to be understood within. The thread would only be closed if people are personally insulting towards one another. People disclosing pertinent information about themselves is entirely within the bounds of this forum and can fit nicely within any thread. For example, a person can talk about studying with this Chinese teacher in "X" particular art and talk about how a word like "jin" applies to that person's understanding of what they do and how they think about something.

Now that I have clearly shown how honest information about your training can help us place your posts in context to what you actually do and know, please feel free to fill in the missing details.

Marc Abrams
Old 07-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #40
Buck
United_States

Quote:
FWIW, yes, I am embarrassed What the sentence should have read was, "We also know that Taoism became superstitious which became a big part of Chinese martial arts."
Old 07-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #41
Thomas Campbell

I have to agree with Buck that queries as to his own specific experience for other posters to be able to place his remarks in some sort of elusive "context" is off-topic to this particular thread. I haven't read any of Buck's statements or remarks on this thread as necessarily relating to or depending upon Buck's individual ability to manifest any particular physical skill or demonstrate aiki. He's commented on Wang's students' credulity, asked some questions about what goes into students' acceptance of a teacher's demonstration, and offered some sources relating to Daoism and Chinese culture.

I might take a different position if Buck was posting about some demonstration of physical skill and critiquing it. But he's not on this thread. It's a general topic, not about whether Buck has a particular skill or training experience.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #42
Mike Sigman
United_States

All of this may be getting off-topic from the original post. Henry Wang was a tournament push-hands guy from Taiwan who did pretty well in some of the local Taiwanese tournaments. A number of Taiwanese and HongKongese "masters" have become "names" in North America and in Europe while not ever rising to much in mainland China (even though polite lip-service is paid to many American, Canadian, etc., 'masters' who have been able to establish 'name' status for themselves).

What Wang does with cooperative students is, IMO, not much of an issue. To sum up Taiwanese "push-hands", I've seen someone like Yang Jwing Ming realize how overtly muscular most of the "push hands" is on Taiwan, when viewed in the company of real mainland names, and toss a VHS tape into the trash. I.e., Taiwanese push-hands is not considered to be top-of-the-line in anyone's book, except for Taiwanese loyalists.

Wang, however, is not a complete naif, like most westerners, and does approach theoretical training from the idea of controlling someone's center, and so on. His fairly obvious addition of what I call "muscular jin" doesn't encourage me much beyond saying that. The point is that there are basic principles to these arts and the principles should be firmly and simply understood/stated before (again, IMO) there should be too much attention paid to any one performer. Let's face it folks... these skills are just getting off the ground and we need to quit looking for an Ace jet-pilot in every guy who just got his single-engine pilot's license.

FWIW

Mike Sigman
Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #43
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
David:

My issue with this is not whether or not this person can project energy. This issue is with the people amplifying and reacting in a non-sensible manner to what they might be experiencing.

Marc Abrams
Marc,

Sorry for the late response. I am totally with you on this issue. I don't how Wang sifu feel but I get totally pissed when a uke falls before I even execute a technique. Pissed that I have not realized that I have acquired this "transparent" power

Regards

David Y
Old 07-23-2010, 06:26 AM   #44
Marc Abrams
United_States

Quote:
David Yap wrote: View Post
Marc,

Sorry for the late response. I am totally with you on this issue. I don't how Wang sifu feel but I get totally pissed when a uke falls before I even execute a technique. Pissed that I have not realized that I have acquired this "transparent" power

Regards

David Y
David:

I am with you on that brother! It is both sad and encouraging to see that Aikido is not the only art that has trouble balancing between collusive practice (that borders on cult-like behavior) and cooperative practice that push each partner to their limits.

I find that I am constantly reminding and encouraging my students to stop "helping me" look good and actually try and make what I do fail. It is easy to slip into those collusive patterns. Of course when that happens, our "transparent" powers are just marvelous !

Marc Abrams
Old 07-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #45
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

Quote:
Thomas Campbell wrote: View Post
I have to agree with Buck that queries as to his own specific experience for other posters to be able to place his remarks in some sort of elusive "context" is off-topic to this particular thread. I haven't read any of Buck's statements or remarks on this thread as necessarily relating to or depending upon Buck's individual ability to manifest any particular physical skill or demonstrate aiki. He's commented on Wang's students' credulity, asked some questions about what goes into students' acceptance of a teacher's demonstration, and offered some sources relating to Daoism and Chinese culture.

I might take a different position if Buck was posting about some demonstration of physical skill and critiquing it. But he's not on this thread. It's a general topic, not about whether Buck has a particular skill or training experience.
+1

Especially in light of a pretty solid mea culpa from him in post #29.