Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-21-2004, 09:42 AM   #26
Sue Trinidad
Dojo: Island Aikido
United_States
Re: aikido crisis. :(

Quote:
Change has a chance at success. Staying the same is guaranteed failure.
And here's the kicker: nobody actually *gets* to stay the same, no matter how hard they try!

Maybe this is an opportunity.

Pema Chodron says something to the effect that we keep getting the lessons we need until we learn them. Shunryu Suzuki, asked to sum up the whole of Zen in two words, said, "Everything changes."

The cool thing about aikido is (imo), you get to work on your stuff without having to wait for a real (external) crisis in your life--a death, a divorce, a loss of a job, serious illness, whatever--to prompt you to look at what's making you uncomfortable. Plus, it's fun!

Good luck!

Sue
Old 09-21-2004, 11:04 AM   #27
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Bridget Chung wrote:
This has reminded me of a totally not MA related managemen/personnel development course I did some time ago called "Situational Leadership".

Apparently the leader/teacher should adjust their leadership or teaching style to suit the development stage of the person.

The 4 stages are:
D1 - Enthusiastic beginner - has little knowledge or experience of the task but has loads of energy and enthusiasm. Optimistic.
D2 - Disillusioned learner - Frustrated, Demotivated, flashes of competance
D3 - Capable but cautious contributor - med-high competance but doubts self from time to time. Can be apathetic.
D4 - Self Reliant Achiever - Justifiably confident, self-assured, inspires others, autonomous.

People can oscillate between these stages too, but the idea is to adapt your coaching style to suit the stage of the person:

S1 - Give very specific instructions and plenty of feedback.
S2 - Coaching. Praising. Explaining and encourage/guide person to come up with the solutions themselves.
S3 - BE supportive, reassure, collaborate with them. Help them to solve problems for themselves.
S4 - Just let them get on with it, but acknowledge their achievements and provide them with challenges.

Just a curious parallel.
Very interesting, thanks. I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see these patterns in another context, it's just the way in which people's minds work. I like the idea of having specific responses tailored to each stage. It makes a lot of sense.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 09-21-2004, 02:32 PM   #28
Richard Elliott

Quote:
Bridget Chung wrote:
This has reminded me of a totally not MA related managemen/personnel development course I did some time ago called "Situational Leadership".

Apparently the leader/teacher should adjust their leadership or teaching style to suit the development stage of the person.

The 4 stages are:
D1 - Enthusiastic beginner - has little knowledge or experience of the task but has loads of energy and enthusiasm. Optimistic.
D2 - Disillusioned learner - Frustrated, Demotivated, flashes of competance
D3 - Capable but cautious contributor - med-high competance but doubts self from time to time. Can be apathetic.
D4 - Self Reliant Achiever - Justifiably confident, self-assured, inspires others, autonomous.

People can oscillate between these stages too, but the idea is to adapt your coaching style to suit the stage of the person:

S1 - Give very specific instructions and plenty of feedback.
S2 - Coaching. Praising. Explaining and encourage/guide person to come up with the solutions themselves.
S3 - BE supportive, reassure, collaborate with them. Help them to solve problems for themselves.
S4 - Just let them get on with it, but acknowledge their achievements and provide them with challenges.

Just a curious parallel.
Thanx Bridget. I remember teaching ESL to refugees a number of years ago. I worked really hard for these guys for they were so motivated and I remember going thru these stages. My own failure at times was pushing on to S4 when I should have stayed at S2 and S3 longer. I also found determining learning styles a challenge: sight, sound, touch and hearing. I also had one student from Sudan who seemed convinced the key to understanding english was to understand infinitives. Maybe I'll do better next time.

Respectfully, Richard
Old 10-03-2004, 01:00 PM   #29
JAHsattva
United_States

i 've been there ,i once drove all the way to class ,just to decide it wasnt feeling right .then went home.

i think its the routines of everyday life,and getting caught up in it.
alot of times its hard to settle the mind from the faster paced city life.
try to warm up for training at home before class ,meditate to calm the mind.
i also like to skateboard, and my friends and i watch skate videos just to get "amped" and in the mood for skateing.

so it might help to read about Osensei, or whatever it is that keeps you excited and interested about aikido.

J H
Old 10-03-2004, 01:29 PM   #30
Sita Nanthavong

United_States

Quote:
Jason Hackler wrote:
so it might help to read about Osensei, or whatever it is that keeps you excited and interested about aikido.
this sounds silly... but i've decided to keep training regardless of how i feel. just train.

reading about O'Sensei writing about how aikido is love and how the purpose of aikido is to find balance and harmony with nature really helps a lot. in our dojo we don't have time, really, to delve into the spiritual aspect of the art. i think that's what was missing from me.

i was going through the motions without realisation of why i there. it had a lot to do with my feeling disconnected with the art. i was questioning myself... why am i there? why do i bother?

some of the answers i found a short while ago. i'm there to find harmony even if it's not exactly offered in the dojo i go to. by continuing with aikido and continuing down that path... i'll find what's missing. i hope.

again, thank you all so very much.