Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-22-2001, 10:14 AM   #1
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Jo waza

For many years I've practised the s tsuki strike with the jo by sliding forwards and the rear hand twisting the jo (like a karate punch type of twist), whilst the jo slides through the front hand.

However not so long ago I noticed a few senior instructors thrusting with the jo with more of a slide, but gripping with both hands and thrusting forwards with both hands.

I tried this second method and found that it was much easier to put your body behind it ('cos you have a strong grip with both hands). However it is slower than the first method (in many cases - depends what position the jo was in before the tsuki). Also, it is easier to see the strike coming in this second method (as you can see the front arm moving forwards).

Having briefly seen the Saito video I noticed he actually does both methods!

Does everyone else use both methods (and if so, when do you select one), or do you lot have a particular way of doing it?

Ian
Old 10-22-2001, 11:14 AM   #2
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden
Hi Ian!
When thrusting with the Jo the front end of it will go in a curve/parabel like way until the end of the thrust, if the front hand is completely still. In order to adjust for this non desireable behaveour (straight is faster and more precise) of the front end of the Jo, one has to move the front hand vertically at the same time as the back hand do the thrust.
What you saw Saito sensei do was probably that. Sometimes it's easier to do this adjustment, if the front hand "accidentaly" or not slides slightly with the Jo in its way forward, but the front hand still works as a "hole" through which the Jo is puched through and controlled. It's only at the very end one let the front (and back) hand squeez the Jo.

That sounded more confusing than it was suppose to!

Jakob Blomquist
Old 10-22-2001, 12:46 PM   #3
Jon C Strauss
Dojo: Rocky Mountain Ki Society
Jo Waza

Howdy,

It's also important to note that one may be an actual strike and the other may be an attempt to "chase" tachi away and create better maai.

Peace,
JCS
Rocky Mountain Ki Society

I shall allow no man to belittle my soul by making me hate him.
--Booker T. Washington
Old 10-22-2001, 04:42 PM   #4
Richard Harnack
Dojo: Aikido Institute of Mid-America
Wink Re: Couldn't resist adding to your confusion

Quote:
Originally posted by ian
For many years I've practised the s tsuki strike with the jo by sliding forwards and the rear hand twisting the jo (like a karate punch type of twist), whilst the jo slides through the front hand.

However not so long ago I noticed a few senior instructors thrusting with the jo with more of a slide, but gripping with both hands and thrusting forwards with both hands.
Ian
Ian -
Depending on what you are attempting, the "sliding forward from hips with the thrust coming from your back hand and sliding the jo through your front hand" method is perhaps more common. The reason is simple, this movement allows you to keep your balance much better.

When thrusting forward with both hands, it is important to hold the jo gently, not with a "death grip". If you use the latter you will find yourself easily pulled off-balance.

As to spinning the jo to keep it straight, I actually found that doing a straight thrust without the spin allowed me to keep it straight. Of course I did practice the move on a fencepost with a 2" ring on top several hundreds of times until I was able to do this.

PS: The fence post was 3' high with the ring on top center.

Yours In Aiki,
Richard Harnack
Old 10-23-2001, 06:18 AM   #5
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Wow, Richard! I'll never attack you on top of a fence post

- I have a hard enough time not tripping over the bumps in the lawn.

Anyway, thankyou everyone for the advice - so all those years of practise were not wasted!
Also, I had not considered the 'chase away' reason for the movement.

Ian
Old 10-23-2001, 08:44 AM   #6
Richard Harnack
Dojo: Aikido Institute of Mid-America
Red face Fence Posts & Angels on Pins

Quote:
Originally posted by ian
Wow, Richard! I'll never attack you on top of a fence post
Ian
Ian-
The toughest part of that particular practice was first knocking the millions of angels off who had migrated there from their various pins.

Yours In Aiki,
Richard Harnack