Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
lbb
United_States
Some nights are like that

"There were moments in my training, too many to count, when Sensei's bokken came slashing at me and I thought with the merest periphery of my consciousness about the parry and counter. The center of my attention was taken with my own limitations, and I wondered how much more I could take. From the moment I had stepped into the dojo, I began a struggle with boundaries, imposed by my mind, that threatened and bullied at every step to overwhelm me…I fought a dozen duels with myself for every cut I made with the katana. Sometimes I won, sometimes not. The nights when I won over myself and pushed back the limitations a bit, I would jump down under the stone bridge in the park on my way home, full of confidence and contentment, rubbing my sore muscles briskly, reveling in the whole specialness of being a part of the classical martial arts. But there were other nights, many others, when I crept down under the bridge, tucked my arms around my legs, and stained the knees of my jeans with tears."

Dave Lowry, Autumn Lightning

Some nights are like that. I just have to hold that thought.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
crbateman

Re: Some nights are like that

I have a similar feeling every time I stand over a bunker shot on the golf course...
Old 03-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
"There were moments in my training, too many to count, when Sensei's bokken came slashing at me and I thought with the merest periphery of my consciousness about the parry and counter. The center of my attention was taken with my own limitations, and I wondered how much more I could take. From the moment I had stepped into the dojo, I began a struggle with boundaries, imposed by my mind, that threatened and bullied at every step to overwhelm me…I fought a dozen duels with myself for every cut I made with the katana. Sometimes I won, sometimes not. The nights when I won over myself and pushed back the limitations a bit, I would jump down under the stone bridge in the park on my way home, full of confidence and contentment, rubbing my sore muscles briskly, reveling in the whole specialness of being a part of the classical martial arts. But there were other nights, many others, when I crept down under the bridge, tucked my arms around my legs, and stained the knees of my jeans with tears."

Dave Lowry, Autumn Lightning

Some nights are like that. I just have to hold that thought.
Wow: that's pretty intense. Where/with whom did he train?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

Or, more briefly: Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

In my old age, I've learned that I'm actually learning more from the days where I'm the bug. Too many windshield days in a row make me nervous.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
Richard Stevens
United_States

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
Wow: that's pretty intense. Where/with whom did he train?
Lowry started training at a pretty young age in Yagyu Shinkage Ryu under Ryokichi Kotaro. A real "Karate Kid" story...
Old 03-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Yes, some nights are like that.
Mary
Old 04-12-2011, 01:53 AM   #7
chris wright

Dojo: White Rose Aikikai

Some nights are like that......agreed, and some still are.
Dave Lowry, is an excellent author (and Budoka) I highly recommend his books.
'Whether one is building a cathedral or mastering a martial art, when something is worth doing, and worth doing well, time is not important'
Dave Lowry - Moving towards stillness