Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-29-2002, 07:10 AM   #1
Ghost Fox
Dojo: Jikishinkan Dojo
Question 42 Guardian Deities of the Aiki Shrine

At the Aiki Shrine at Iwama there are 42 Guardian Spirits enshrined as well as the Great Spirit of Aiki. Does anybody has any information as to the name, history, and/or sphere of influence (e.g. Agni - God of Fire) of these deities? Or where I might obtain this information?

Thank you.

Old 03-29-2002, 07:15 AM   #2
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Reading the Kojiki might help.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 03-29-2002, 07:54 PM   #3
warriorwoman
42 guardian deities of the Aiki Shrine

I would be interested in knowing the names of the others, if it's not asking too much, however, Agni is the ancient Vedic god of fire. You can find out more about this particualar god by researching ancient Indian theology.
janet dtantirojanarat
www.warriorwoman.org

janet dtantirojanarat
www.warriorwoman.org
Old 04-02-2002, 10:20 AM   #4
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
42 deitys/ shrines

I found a myths and legends link for Shinto Gods ... about five computer system crashes and two years ago.

If your look at local Japanese myths/ legends, you should find some links to quench you thirst. Some of these are like the myths and legends of many countries, so you might have to dig a little bit in local heroes, legends, and history or Buddhism, Shintoism, and Martial art history. IF you get a tourism section of Japanese culture, they might have visitor maps to local shrines, kind of like we have for national parks in USA?

I wish you hadn't asked that question ... now I want to get some hard copy/ research into that now ... C'est la vie?
Old 04-08-2002, 07:50 AM   #5
Ghost Fox
Dojo: Jikishinkan Dojo
Re: 42 deitys/ shrines

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Baker
I found a myths and legends link for Shinto Gods ... about five computer system crashes and two years ago.

If your look at local Japanese myths/ legends, you should find some links to quench you thirst. Some of these are like the myths and legends of many countries, so you might have to dig a little bit in local heroes, legends, and history or Buddhism, Shintoism, and Martial art history. IF you get a tourism section of Japanese culture, they might have visitor maps to local shrines, kind of like we have for national parks in USA?

I wish you hadn't asked that question ... now I want to get some hard copy/ research into that now ... C'est la vie?

Thanks for the advice. Followed most of those avenues already. Even visited a few shrines on my business trips to Japan.

Japan has thousands of Kami in the Shinto pantheon. I want to know which particular deities are housed in the Aiki Shrine, what are their traits and most importantly why where they chosen? I was hoping someone from the Iwama Ryu would have some information.

I guess one day I will just have to visit the Aiki Shrine and find out for myself. Again thanks for the advice.

Old 04-29-2002, 02:05 AM   #6
Kami
Dojo: ShinToKai DoJo of AiKiDo
Unhappy Re: Re: 42 deities/ shrines

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghost Fox
I was hoping someone from the Iwama Ryu would have some information. I guess one day I will just have to visit the Aiki Shrine and find out for myself. Again thanks for the advice.
KAMI : I had the same hope as you, Damion. Doesn't anyone from Iwama Ryu know the answer to that question, since the Kami are enshrined there?
Best

"We are all teachers, and what we teach is what we need to learn, and so we teach it over and over again until we learn it".
Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara
Old 05-15-2002, 10:40 AM   #7
Arianah
Dojo: Aikido of Norwalk
I stumbled upon this website. It certainly doesn't list all forty two, but it does list a few that I assume are at the Iwama jinja.

Sarah

Out of clutter, find simplicity.
From discord, find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
-Albert Einstein
Old 05-15-2002, 01:41 PM   #8
Kami
KANNAGARA JINJA

Quote:
Originally posted by Arianah
I stumbled upon this website. It certainly doesn't list all forty two, but it does list a few that I assume are at the Iwama jinja.
Sarah
KAMI : Uh...No, Arianah, no relation to Iwama or to the Aikikai Hombu Dojo, but thanks anyway.
Best

"We are all teachers, and what we teach is what we need to learn, and so we teach it over and over again until we learn it".
Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara
Old 05-15-2002, 02:36 PM   #9
akiy

I'm by no means any expert on this subject, but I have heard that the Tsubaki Grand Shrine has some connections to Morihei Ueshiba. According to this website (whose dojocho I've known quite well for several years now):
Quote:
That Kami is "Sarutahiko O-Kami," whom O-Sensei regarded as his personal guardian spirit and as the guardian deity of Aikido. Tsubaki Grand Shrine is the main shrine of Sarutahiko O-Kami and is one place where O-Sensei practiced waterfall misogi (purification).
Also, the Kannagara website on this page quotes the founder, in part:
Quote:
"I have been given many teachings by Sarutahiko no OhKami. OhKami told me, 'By the work of Takehaya Susanowo no Mikoto, you will worship the Ame no Murakumo Kukamisamuhara Ryu O (Kami of Takemusu) and build an Aiki shrine and dojo.' Then I built the Aiki shrine and dojo in Iwama, Ibaragi prefecture in 1940. Since then I have been searching for the main shrine of Sarutahiko no OhKami. I heard Tsubaki Grand Shrine is the main shrine of Sarutahiko no OhKami, so I visited here today."
The page continues:
Quote:
fter that day master Ueshiba visited the shrine many times a year. When he came to the shrine in 1959, he said he would like to enshrine Sarutahiko no OhKami at the Aiki shrine. In July 1960 I, instead of my father, took the Goshintai of Sarutahiko no OhKami (statue of Sarutahiko no OhKami) to the Aiki shrine in Iwama and performed the enshrinement ceremony. I went there with Mr. Shoji Gomi, who made the Goshintai, Mr. Akihide Isokai, and Mr. Masanori Fukuchi, shrine supporters. I remember that day: Master Ueshiba had great joy. It was a big ceremony with many participants, including master Kisshomaru Ueshiba of the Tokyo dojo.
On a side note, I've been to two aikido dojo blessings done by priests (would that be the right word?) from Tsubaki Jinjya...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-15-2002, 02:47 PM   #10
Arianah
Dojo: Aikido of Norwalk
Re: KANNAGARA JINJA

Quote:
Originally posted by Kami
KAMI : Uh...No, Arianah, no relation to Iwama or to the Aikikai Hombu Dojo, but thanks anyway.
Best
Woops!
In all honesty I just came across it while I was researching other stuff, scanned it and assumed it was the same thing. Well, you know what they say: when you assume . . .
Shrug.
Sarah

Out of clutter, find simplicity.
From discord, find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
-Albert Einstein
Old 05-16-2002, 04:45 AM   #11
Kami
Question KANNAGARA'S LINKS TO UESHIBA?

Quote:
Originally posted by akiy
I'm by no means any expert on this subject, but I have heard that the Tsubaki Grand Shrine has some connections to Morihei Ueshiba.
-- Jun
KAMI : Oops! I think I didn't overstep when I said that Kannagara had no known links with IWAMA or the AIKIKAI. I know Koichi Barrish Sensei claims some connection with Ueshiba but I never heard anything from "the other side"(Ueshiba's family and the Aikikai). Do you?
As to the Kami cited in Kannagara's page, some are linked to O-Sensei but that's all. Any further information?
Always ready to learn

Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara
Old 05-16-2002, 04:52 AM   #12
Kami
Re: Re: KANNAGARA JINJA

Quote:
Originally posted by Arianah

Woops!
In all honesty I just came across it while I was researching other stuff, scanned it and assumed it was the same thing. Well, you know what they say: when you assume . . .
Shrug.
Sarah
KAMI : As you can see, by Jun's post, there's some controversy. So, don't blush yet!
I repeat what I said : there's no known connection between IWAMA or the AIKIKAI, though Koichi Barrish Sensei, Guji of Kannagara Jinja, claims some link with Ueshiba Morihei Okina. The similarity between some Kami's names (AMENOMURAKUMO KUKI SAMUHARA RYOO, for instance) might be just that : similarities...Or not...We do not have information from "the other side" (Ueshiba's family, the Aikikai Hombu or Iwama).
Until then, I believe I might be wrong and you shouldn't be hasty in your blushing...
Let's hope Jun has further information.
Best

Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara
Old 05-16-2002, 08:36 AM   #13
akiy

I'll see if I can find any information on the Japanese sites concerning the Tsubaki Jinjya... I'll post any further information I find here.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-17-2002, 03:03 PM   #14
Kami
Thumbs down 42 GUARDIAN DEITIES...

Quote:
Originally posted by akiy
I'll see if I can find any information on the Japanese sites concerning the Tsubaki Jinjya... I'll post any further information I find here.
-- Jun
KAMI : Thanks, Jun! It will be a great help, specially if it comes from the Aikikai or from the Ueshiba family. Important also is the alleged relationship between Barrish Guji, of Kannagara Jinja and Ueshiba Morihei.
Best

Last edited by Kami : 05-17-2002 at 03:05 PM.

Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara
Old 05-30-2006, 03:39 PM   #15
Murakumo Dojo
Dojo: Murakumo Dojo
United_States
Re: 42 Guardian Deities of the Aiki Shrine

To Kami,

I noticed that you are very resistant to the idea that Tsubaki Okami Yashiro has valuable input on this topic. Apparently there is a claim that Ueshiba had a relationship with Yamamoto guji and that Yamamoto guji installed Sarudahiko in the Aiki Jinja. You refute this by way of only accepting value from what the Aikikai & Ueshiba family have to say on the matter, which has not been presented to them or addressed by them publically. I believe the ? is what are the names of the kami enshrined at the aiki jinja? Yamamoto guji may or may not have enough detailed information to satisfy the question. However, when Osensei visited Tsubaki Daijinja most of the Aikikai or his family members weren't there. So, what does it matter what they say about it? In fact, I have some pictures of Ueshiba Morihei at the shrine in Suzuka, Mie. He was brought there by Hikitsuchi sensei long ago. Maybe the Aikikai will claim it to be a ninja deception, ne? Whatever their knowledge or position, they'll probably not waste any energy addressing such unimportant and trivial contentions. I recommend contacting the Saito family, Aiki Jinja & dojo staff, and Yamamoto guji of Tsubaki Okami Yashiro.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:16 PM   #16
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

In his book, 'The Spirit of Aikido' , Kisshomaru Ueshiba mentions the gods, but he mentions 43.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:32 PM   #17
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Damion Lost wrote:
At the Aiki Shrine at Iwama there are 42 Guardian Spirits enshrined as well as the Great Spirit of Aiki. Does anybody has any information as to the name, history, and/or sphere of influence (e.g. Agni - God of Fire) of these deities? Or where I might obtain this information?

Thank you.

A partial list would be:

Morihei Ueshiba's Guardian Gods, Saruta Hiko no Ookami, Kunitsu Ryuoh Kuzuryu Daigongen, Tajikarao no mikoto, Amenomurakumo Kukisamuhara Ryuoh, Ketsumi Miko no Ookami, Wakumusubi no Mikoto, Ryuoh, Daigongen, Ootengu, Daibosatsu, and others, totalling 43 great Gods are enshrined.

Source:
Aiki Shrine Website

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 05-31-2006, 07:02 AM   #18
Ethan Weisgard
Dojo: Copenhagen Aiki Shuren Dojo
Denmark

Might I suggest going to the link address posted for the Ibaraki Shibu Dojo (former Iwama Dojo) and using the e-mail connected to that site? I believe this e-mail goes to Inagaki Sensei, who takes care of the website. You can also make the inquiry to Isoyama Sensei who is acting Dojo Cho. They are both very knowledgeable regarding these matters.

My guess is that they will be most pleased that people are showing an interest in these things, and help you as much as possible. Please let us know what the results are!

In Aiki,

Ethan Weisgard
Copenhagen Aiki Shuren Dojo