Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-10-2010, 03:18 AM   #1
Hebrew Hammer

Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
United_States
Recovering from a Herniated Disc

Hi Peeps,
My work out regimen of Yoga, boxing/kicboxing, some running and circuit training (I like to cross train if you can't tell) of the last five months, has led me to a herniated disc. I had been working out 5 days a week doing a mixture two of the above programs for about an hour a piece.

Since then have been in tremedous pain, siatica and have started accupuncture and physical therapy treatments for the last three weeks...and am now just starting to get back into the gym. I'm unable to do martial arts, yoga or running right now, just some exercise bike for cardio and seated weight machines. Feeling a bit better and considering trying akido in the next month or two in place of my other martial training.

Has anyone had experience coming back from this type of injury? Any helpful hints for recovery? And what are you thoughts on doing Akido training inplace of my hard style boxing/kickboxing regimen?

Looking forward to your responses,

The Hebrew Hammer

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer
Old 07-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
chillzATL
United_States
Re: Recovering from a Herniated Disc

Aikido isn't any more forgiving on a back injury than any of the other activities you've had to give up while you heal. I've been down that road myself and eventually had to stop completely for a while. Best thing you can do is stick to the PT and take it slow with everything.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Mikemac

Dojo: Aikido World Alliance
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Hagens wrote: View Post
Hi Peeps,
My work out regimen of Yoga, boxing/kicboxing, some running and circuit training (I like to cross train if you can't tell) of the last five months, has led me to a herniated disc. I had been working out 5 days a week doing a mixture two of the above programs for about an hour a piece.

Since then have been in tremedous pain, siatica and have started accupuncture and physical therapy treatments for the last three weeks...and am now just starting to get back into the gym. I'm unable to do martial arts, yoga or running right now, just some exercise bike for cardio and seated weight machines. Feeling a bit better and considering trying akido in the next month or two in place of my other martial training.

Has anyone had experience coming back from this type of injury? Any helpful hints for recovery? And what are you thoughts on doing Akido training inplace of my hard style boxing/kickboxing regimen?

Looking forward to your responses,

The Hebrew Hammer
Can you tell us of any particular incident or workout that you believe caused this? Was it sudden, or something that developed over time? This is very important.

"Hey! You got your kotegaeshi in my peanut butter!"
Old 07-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
Hebrew Hammer

United_States

Quote:
Michael McNamara wrote: View Post
Can you tell us of any particular incident or workout that you believe caused this? Was it sudden, or something that developed over time? This is very important.
Good question, I believe it developed over time, no one particular incident...just used to working through pain (years of football in my youth) so kept at it...it just got worse. Thought it was a pinched nerve that I used to get from Football. Brilliant eh?

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer
Old 07-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Hebrew Hammer

United_States

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
Aikido isn't any more forgiving on a back injury than any of the other activities you've had to give up while you heal. I've been down that road myself and eventually had to stop completely for a while. Best thing you can do is stick to the PT and take it slow with everything.
Thanks Jason..may I ask how long it took you to get back into form?

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer
Old 07-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Hagens wrote: View Post
Thanks Jason..may I ask how long it took you to get back into form?
Well, my timeline probably isn't a good one to go by, because I didn't do my PT like I should have. I would do that stuff till I felt comfortable again then start back up like nothing had ever happened. My injuries were really the result of a lack of conditioning and years of poor posture than any specific trauma. so it really took me spending a year or so just conditioning my back through lots of ab and core work before I felt ready to come back. Of late the p90x ab and core workouts have really helped a lot.

I would just stick with the PT schedule they have you on, continue to do that stuff and slowly build up the intensity of those exercises and others. Once you're doing all that stuff at an increased level without any discomfort or mental focus on your injury, then you're probably ready to start working your way back to training.

Best of luck to you.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

I second what Jason said about physical therapy. Do it, do it like your life depended on it, and then do it some more. When you're done with that, overdo it. I'm just coming back from arthoscopic surgery to repair both menisci in my knee and I've been a monster at PT. As a result, my knee is stable and I can do almost everything as well as I could prior to the injury. Six weeks post-op and I can do squats, lunges and all that sort of thing without pain or strain. I still can't get all the way down in seiza yet, but that's probably just another week or so away. I've known many others who blew off the PT and are still hobbled up years later.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 07-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #8
Hebrew Hammer

United_States

Thanks for the advice and feedback gentlemen...have been slowly getting back into the gym this week and am following the PT exercises.

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer
Old 07-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
RED
United_States

I've got a messed up disc in my lower back. Caused by a slip at work, NOT Aikido I mind you.
You can train your body to make it stronger to reduce the chance of re-injuring yourself, but the disc will be broken for live, even if it stops herniating and touching your nerves.
Improving flexibility and improving the muscle strength according to the doctor I saw is the only method of managing the injury. Unless you want to go through an invasive surgery to remove the herniated portion of the disc. That's not something I'm willing to do at my young age, but if the pain is bad enough you might talk to your doctor about it.

Aikido makes dealing with the back problem easier for me. It improves core strength and flexibility. When I take plenty of classes in a day my back feels great and I can sit up right for hours. But if I only manage to take one class in a day the amount of time I can sit up right at the dinner table or what not is maybe 45 minutes. If I skip a day of classes to rest, I can sit up right for 15 minutes before I have to walk around to get the pressure off of my spinal nerves.

So basically keeping active and following your doctor's advice for treatment is the only way to manage the injury if you aren't into extreme pain killers or surgery.

MM
Old 07-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
cguzik

You should be able to continue your yoga practice in such a way that it contributes to your recovery. But you need to work with a skilled and experienced teacher who has worked with others in similar situations. You may be able to find a good yoga therapist who does private sessions that would be geared specifically to your recovery. Tim Miller's studio in Encinitas might be one to check out.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
Hebrew Hammer

United_States

Mike, thanks for the referral, I know their are Yoga techniques that will help...not sure I can afford private sessions with all the other expenditures right now. But will look up Tim's site.

Maggie, thanks for the imput and ouch. Did you just call me old? I'm hoping to avoid surgery as well...usually standing for long periods and walking/moving around cause me the most discomfort...sitting or laying isn't as painful. Who knows its a new experience for me...

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer
Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

How about Tai Chi? I took a few Tai Chi classes, and I was surprised to discover how much of a work out it can slowly give you while looking so easy.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
Hebrew Hammer

United_States

Quote:
Marie Noelle Fequiere wrote: View Post
How about Tai Chi? I took a few Tai Chi classes, and I was surprised to discover how much of a work out it can slowly give you while looking so easy.
You just read my mind Marie...actually started looking into that today! Great minds think alike, I'm worried that a lot of the tumbling/aikido rolls involved in regular practice might be a bit much for me to handle...thanks for the suggestion.

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer
Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #14
cguzik

Kevin,
I would not take a class at that yoga studio if I were you (very vigorous practice, probably too intense with the injury) but you might contact them to see if they do private therapy sessions.
Chris
Old 09-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #15
tomreynolds99
Dojo: Zenshinkan Aikido Worcester, MA
United_States

I developed a herniated and subseequently ruptured disc from an Aikido throw. I had back surgery and was back on the mat in about 6 months however, no break falls for another 6 months. I still have some numbness in my left leg because of the disc problem but it is SLOWLY coming back. I make accomodations on the mat for the numbness. I also purchased an inversion table (Teeter HangUps) which helps to decompress the discs and I find it tremendously helpful.

Domo Arigato,
Tom Reynolds
Zenshinkan Aikido
Worcester, MA
Old 09-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #16
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai

HH:

I herniated L5-S1 over ten years ago now. It was a major blow out. I couldn't stand up straight for over 4 weeks! I permanently lost the nerve reflex in my right ankle and my right leg was numb along the sciatic nerve for months. The morphine was...interesting, though.

I was in a hurry to get better, so I pushed things too much. I wouldn't make this same mistake, if I were you. Go slow and easy and you'll likely be back into training sooner and more fully than if you push it too much and suffer aggravations of your back injury.

One of the most useful rehab practices that I did was simply walking - alot. Oh, and I have found planking to be a marvelous way to stabilize my core without aggravating my old back injury. I would recommend planking over crunches and hyperextensions any day!

I have had to modify things in training somewhat. I can't go slam bang on the mats all the time like I once did. But, I can still train well, nevertheless.

You have my sincerest sympathy. I hope your recovery goes well.

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."