Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #51
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Belts sticking out

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Well, I think people who wear dress shoes look silly. And ties -- what the hell are those things for anyway? And don't get me started on bow ties...
Damn hippies.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #52
Dave Gallagher
Dojo: Shobukan Dojo, St.Louis
United_States

Quote:
Stelios Papadakis wrote: View Post
Not necessarily, if you ask my own personal experience. Can be a matter of ergonomic acquaintance!
Without a belt under it, my hakama would just fly away each time my teacher throws me around. The only way to keep my hakama close to me is to tie it's belts around and through my inside belt. Tried all the other ways around and nothing works. Tying the hakama belts alone around my iliac bones creates pain than i cannot withstand.
So it always comes down to very personal somatic and psychic comfort, i reckon.
....This sounds strange and I don't know what health problem causes this. In most koryu and some modern budo like Kendo no one wears a rank belt. If it's a true koryu it does not use the dan system.
For Kendo we just have the dogi and hakama and no pants. It was the same when I trained in Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo.
I never heard of anyone in Aikido who could not keep a hakama on without louping through a rank belt. First time for everything. I assume you have seen a doctor for your painful condition. At least you can do Aikido. I wish you well on that painful condition.

It is the duty of the strong to protect the weak.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #53
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Dave Gallagher wrote: View Post
I never heard of anyone in Aikido who could not keep a hakama on without louping through a rank belt. First time for everything.
I guess there is, and a second, because this is also how I tie my hakama for aikido. In Shindo Muso there isn't any need, but in aikido it definitely helps keep things in place.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #54
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

I actually did the super scientific thing of actually paying attention the last time I went to a class full of yudansha and instructors. Most had the belts fairly well concealed inside the hakama (or none at all possibly). A few had bits and pieces sticking out. Me, it tends to stay under the hakama. However, I'll also admit to occasionally not bothering with the belt as the hakama works fine stand alone depending on what I'm doing. Sometimes if I'm teaching a simple weapons class going through some of our forms I'll leave it off. Other times I wear it. Heck, I've had time when I forgot my belt at home and worn one of the 8 zillion white belts that we have on the shelf. Or times I've forgotten the belt and worn no belt.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #55
Dave Gallagher
United_States

I think this sums up the belt issue:

Old 12-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #56
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Dave Gallagher wrote: View Post
I think this sums up the belt issue:
If you say so. But why is it an issue for you? Seriously, throughout this whole thread, all I've been able to think is, "Why is this a thing?"
Old 12-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #57
Dave Gallagher
United_States

Mary, Must you take things so serious? I only asked if anyone else thought it was silly. The replies have been pretty good with people giving their take on this. My last post on this is just humour.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #58
lbb
United_States

Hm. Me so serious? Well, honestly, I'd have said this was a case of the pot calling the kettle black. I thought the simple fact of raising the question would indicate an unusual level of concern with the matter, but if you say otherwise, I take your word for it.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #59
LuvAikido
Canada

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Hm.the pot calling the kettle black.
Hehehe I like that one!
Old 12-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #60
Dave Gallagher
United_States

It was a simple question. It got some not so simple replies. Sometimes people think to much about the question and not enough about the answers. It was not meant to be so deep.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #61
Ethan Weisgard
Dojo: Copenhagen Aiki Shuren Dojo
Denmark

I like the question :-)
I remember in Iwama that Saito Sensei was not happy with the people coming from other dojos with their belts sticking out.
I have also heard Isoyama Sensei speak about matters concerning proper dojo attire. He is very strict about not having your sleeves rolled up, making sure that your hakama straps do not hang down in front and in general making sure that you are properly dressed. He makes a point about if you buy a suit, you make sure to have it fit so that the length of the sleeves is correct, the pants' length fits as well and so on. He says that your aikido apparel should be considered in the same manner.
Now in Denmark, the other large group of dojos is in the Nishio Sensei lineage, and Nishio Sensei wore his belt with the ends out - as someone posted a picture of. This group abides by the traditions that Nishio Sensei stood for, and that is the way it should be. To each his own. I believe you should follow the guidelines of your Sensei, just as in regard to everything else, be it technique, reigi etc.

Now, how about the question of the camouflague hakamas... ;-)
Old 01-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #62
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Ethan Weisgard wrote: View Post
I like the question :-)

Now, how about the question of the camouflague hakamas... ;-)
Actually, I've seen one. A certain person in Concord California has been known to sport one on occasion. Damned silly if you ask me but I think that is the response he was gong for.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.