Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #26
chillzATL
United_States
Re: Dojo managment software

Quote:
Daniel James wrote: View Post
Slightly OT
I have seen a few setups around the traps, a nice half way point is a book for attendance and collect fees using paypal (its easy to setup). Going to dojo management software means a computer, possibly internet connection, maintaing the computer, backup strategies and probably you still need someone to drive it turn it on/off before and after class. Its all a question of scale I think if the dojo is full time with lots of people coming through the door its probably helpful, but i suspect for the vast majority of dojo its a cool idea but maybe a time sink that distracts from training
You should look into martialmanagement.com, it avoids most of these problems by not requiring anything at the dojo (though you could have a computer there if you wanted). Once your students are entered in it's just a matter of checking off who was in class. What you choose to enter for each day is up to you. Students can log in on their own time if they want to look at their records, see what content you may have added, read messages, etc.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:21 AM   #27
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Trey Price wrote: View Post
I have always thought it would be good to have a swipe card to track attendance. I am a school principal and swipe cards are great. The alternative is a key pad to enter a "student" number.
We use a piece of paper where you check off next to your name and under the current date. This seems to work fine for us, although if we had several hundred members an automated system might make more sense.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:36 AM   #28
edwilli

Sorry about the bad link try this: http://www.thedojomanager.com
Old 08-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #29
edwilli

How important is taking attendance? I guess the real question is what do you get out of it? Is it to find out if people aren't showing up for class? Seems that anything other then an RFID swipe card is going to a lot of extra work. If you've got 20-30 students that's a lot of tracking. If you've got less then that, wouldn't you get a feel for who's not attending?

Do some schools require a specific number of attended classes for a belt? I just don't know what the big payoff is after you collect all that attendance data (I'm not saying there isn't one, I just don't know what it is).
Old 08-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #30
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Dan Williams wrote: View Post
How important is taking attendance? I guess the real question is what do you get out of it? Is it to find out if people aren't showing up for class? Seems that anything other then an RFID swipe card is going to a lot of extra work. If you've got 20-30 students that's a lot of tracking. If you've got less then that, wouldn't you get a feel for who's not attending?

Do some schools require a specific number of attended classes for a belt? I just don't know what the big payoff is after you collect all that attendance data (I'm not saying there isn't one, I just don't know what it is).
The dojo I where I have been for the last year takes attendance every session. Sensei takes the book home at the end of every month and compiles attendance records (from two dojo in the city).

Each month someone gets an award for the most practices attended. The national federation does gradings based on you having had enough hours of practice to be eligible to test - and this takes the guesswork out (and for those of us who don't record our own training sessions, it takes memory out of the deal, too).
Keeping attendance - the other side of planning - if you keep attendance and someone isn't advancing, you can look at the records, see if they're hardly ever training, and point at that as an issue - if you see that they're training lots and not advancing, you can question your teaching/training method, and look for ways to get through to that person - there are different learning styles (VARK), and the traditional "watch me do it and you imitate" doesn't work for everyone.
Walter
Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #31
john.burn

Dojo: Chishin Dojo
United Kingdom

Dan,

It could be best practice in case someone states they trained with you or at your dojo a few years ago and got injured... How would you know they had or hadn't attended? I've kept records or everyone who's ever attended since I opened 3 years ago. Hopefully it would never happen but you never know.

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk
Old 08-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #32
edwilli

Adding an attendance feature it is

I never realized so many schools took attendance, maybe my instructors did it and I never knew they were.

I'm thinking of generating a checklist of current students that can be printed and taken to class. Then transferred to the application later.

A mobile site for iPhone/PDAs/smartphones is a great idea as well.

I'm in the process of enhancing my site http://thedojomanager.com (shameless plug), I've got a nice feedback system for users. So if anyone wants to get the exact software they want, all they need to do is ask (then wait until I get the time to implement it). It's in beta, so for now it's free to use.

Thanks for the feedback,
Dan
http://thedojomanager.com
Old 09-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #33
scarey
Dojo: Shinkikan
United_States

Now that features have been discussed, I'm curious to know what people would be willing to pay.

Assuming the following feature set:
Student profiles (training tracker, social networking)
Ecommerce (dojo store, student fee payment)
Calendar (events, regular schedule)
Curriculum (training topics, test requirements)

Does $1500 sound reasonable as a setup cost? There are benefits to the system to consider:
Ability to use on own domain
Customization of theme
Tailoring the system to individual dojo needs.

Thoughts?
Old 02-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #34
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido

Does anyone know of any dojo management software that one can buy one-time, rather than being a monthy, web-based subscription?
Old 02-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #35
scarey
Dojo: Shinkikan
United_States

Quote:
Lorien Lowe wrote: View Post
Does anyone know of any dojo management software that one can buy one-time, rather than being a monthy, web-based subscription?
Hi Lorien,

What specifically are you looking for?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #36
edwilli

Quote:
KickSoft is one of the only that I know of:
https://www.getphysicalsoftware.com/...TOKEN=62232656

I'm not sure if iGo is or not: http://www.igokaratesoftware.com/page/features/
Old 02-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #37
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
www.martialmanagement.com is free to use. setup an account and try it out. You can email the developer directly if you have questions.