Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #51
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom
Re: Osensei's Feet of Clay

Hi Thomas,

In the light of your posts in this thread, I would be very interested in how you understand "aiki". I should stress that I'm not looking for an argument - the way I see it has changed a lot over the last few months (one or two forum members will have a good idea who or what has challenged my view...).

Alex

P.S. Like Joe, I have known your teacher for many years
Old 09-29-2013, 06:41 AM   #52
tamthebam
Dojo: Hokushinkan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
Hi Thomas,

In the light of your posts in this thread, I would be very interested in how you understand "aiki". I should stress that I'm not looking for an argument - the way I see it has changed a lot over the last few months (one or two forum members will have a good idea who or what has challenged my view...).

Alex

P.S. Like Joe, I have known your teacher for many years
Hi Alex, my previous post, on reflection was blunt. Allow me to qualify it by saying that IMO modern Aikido has to a large degree abandoned the " internal" aspect of the art. I believe go no keiko techniques were designed to test internal power ie can tori control a uke who is resisting fully in morote dori without having to move and unbalance them on contact? Obviously allowances are made depending on people's level of experience etc. but I think we must be careful not to lose the "testing" aspect of this type of practice. Cheers
Old 09-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #53
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Thomas Madden wrote: View Post
Hi Alex, my previous post, on reflection was blunt. Allow me to qualify it by saying that IMO modern Aikido has to a large degree abandoned the " internal" aspect of the art. I believe go no keiko techniques were designed to test internal power ie can tori control a uke who is resisting fully in morote dori without having to move and unbalance them on contact? Obviously allowances are made depending on people's level of experience etc. but I think we must be careful not to lose the "testing" aspect of this type of practice. Cheers
Dear Tam the Bam,
Great Glesca nickname!!! I agree with you in respect of go no keiko.Too many people bypass this aspect of training.The problem is a lot of people neglect the fundamentals.Its important to study footwork, usage of hands, centre, developing kokyu and training the mind.This is what makes aikido training from becoming boring.Really aikido is a boring activity, doing the same thing year in year out.Yet I still continue to follow the path.I feel that I owe a debt to all the many instructors/traing partners I have met, some of them sadly no longer in the realm of the living.In go no keiko, uke initially has the advantage,You as tori have to utilise your own power, destabilise Uke, change the dynamics of the encounter ie you neutralise Uke, then you initiate an appropriate waza to finish uke off.
Later of course you can in time, use Ju Waza the implement flowing /kokyu/ki waza.According to Sato Sensei, one only gets the hang of flowing waza at godan level..Check out Saito Senseis books
for further info.Cheers, joe,