Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
deathlinenetworks
Dojo: Aikido Seishinkan
Malaysia
Big Belly Aikido

Alright. All instructors in my dojo have a big and fat belly. The chief instructor has the biggest then the 2nd instructor has the second biggest then the 3rd instructor has the 3rd biggest. NOW, does aikido makes your belly big? seriously, even o' sensei has a big belly. is it because of the chi thing or because we practice our center that;s why? hahaha..... it would be funny if aikido really makes your tummy big.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Big Belly Aikido

Maybe from Chee...Toes.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Do your instructors have big bellies 'cause they eat or drink too much or is it just a big belly aikido club? ha ha!
Is it partly down to middle aged spread or just bad habits?
Some people do develop big bellies, partly down to their genetics when older. Some people stay thin some get fat ...... its no indicator to ability, but I would imagine it cannot be good for health if it is too big.....
At 55 years I have developed a small paunch even though I still do 'V'crunches of 60 - 100 reps 3 - 4 times a week and isometric crunches when I think to do it......
I am able to take full punches to the belly area as was Tohei Shihan was known to be able to do...... no big deal as it can be done by anyone with a trained belly.... boxers have this ability also....
So maybe depending on one's genetics, general fitness and diet will determine whether or not you will develop a fat belly when YOU get older...... who knows?
Ya might get lucky!!

Last edited by Tony Wagstaffe : 11-13-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
John Brockington
Dojo: Retsushinkan/Birmingham, AL
United_States

Actually, not necessarily a humorous observation. Certain training paradigms emphasizing power generation from the lower body, hips, and center/tanden while simultaneously de-emphasizing upper body power sourcing may cultivate such a physique. Sort of the "pear-shaped" opposite of the "triangle-shaped" body habitus that some people seek through upper body weight training, etc. It may not be coincidence at all that Tohei and Ueshiba developed this body type over time. I don't think there is anything to indicate that gluttony played a role in those two. Someone like Mike Sigman may be able to give you a much more eloquent answer, though, if he is still on Aikiweb. It might be interesting to talk with your instructors about their own training techniques and points of emphasis, too!

Regards-

John
Old 11-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Voitokas

United_States

Maybe the better you get, the less you have to move. So a big belly is a sign of the aiki adept: "Mwa ha ha, I just threw you six fellas all over the mat for an hour and only burned 400 calories! Feel the power!"

I am not an expert
Old 11-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #6
AnniN
Dojo: Menai Ki Society
Finland

Maybe a big belly helps keep balance cos the weight of the upper body is concentrated lower? My instructors actually follow a different pattern: the assistant instructors have big bellies whereas the chief instructor is completely flat Actually I think he's the only one of the chief instructors in my organization who doesn't have a pot belly
Old 11-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
dps

Don't forget that the formula for force is F=MA. Some martial artists increase the A (acceleration or speed) part of the formula to increase the force applied in the technique. The wiser ones increase the M (mass) part of the equation for the same effect.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
Voitokas

United_States

And the centrifugal moment increases with the distance from the center of rotation, so the actual girth also lends some aikido-mechanical advantage

I am not an expert
Old 11-13-2008, 10:24 PM   #9
Janet Rosen

When I first started training, a sempai whispered to me in the changing room that from what she could tell, karate attracted ascetics and they tended to be thin, while aikido attracted gourmands, hence smoking, drinking, overeating and bellies :-)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-14-2008, 01:29 AM   #10
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium

Round forms roll better

Eva
Old 11-17-2008, 12:25 AM   #11
wideawakedreamer

Dojo: Bu Yuu Kan dojo
Philippines

^ Amen

Old 11-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #12
Walter Martindale
Canada

Depending on the dojo and the tradition... In some places there is a tradition of rehydrating with several barley sandwiches after training. Add sushi, tempura, and a few more barley sandwiches, and the more experienced one is at post training discussions, the bigger the belly.
sorry it's not the real answer, but I've seen really experienced sensei who had big bellies who also had this habit, and I've seen really experienced sensei who didn't (don't) have big bellies who limit their 'rehydration' to one beer.
Cheers, (the kiwi greeting, cheers, not the toast)
Walter
Old 12-03-2008, 01:48 AM   #13
curlytops
Philippines

They may eat a lot after training.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
Jamie_Macc
Dojo: Macclesfield/Genbukan
United Kingdom

haha, thats quite funny, ive noticed that! all the instructors i have met/trained with have a 'big belly'. If any of the brit practioners have met sensei david yates from manchester, he was rather big, but when he got back from Japan he had lost so much weight.

jamie

To injure an opponent is to injure yourself. To control aggression without inflicting injury is Aikido.

- Morihei Ueshiba
Old 12-15-2008, 05:13 AM   #15
Ethan Weisgard
Dojo: Copenhagen Aiki Shuren Dojo
Denmark

I have heard the part of the anatomy in question referred to affectionately as the Ki Tank...

In aiki,

Ethan Weisgard