Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-22-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
MitchMZ
Dojo: Prairie-Aikikai
United_States
Aikido and Hapkido

This a topic I love. My father studied Hapkido when he was my age under a master in Bismark, ND. Over the years, he has obviously taught me a lot of Hapkido techniques. I just recently started training in Aikido, I think I'm picking up the techniques and mindset pretty well thus far. Anywho, I've heard from multiple sources that these two arts both originated from Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu. Must be, because all the principles of Hapkido are very similar to those in Aikido; albeit its a "harder" style. Really I think the only difference is that they work more with the Korean Tae Kwon aspect of things. Hapkido guys do more strikes...but we do more throws and locks. I realize that all martial arts are fairly similar in their aims and techniques at their highest level of practice, but I think these two arts do a wonderful job of complementing each other. My dad has seen many of the same techniques in Hapkido; such as Ikkyo(although thats not what they call it, obviously). Its great to be able to use Hapkido type "blocks" to blend and throw...but just like Aikido, Hapkido also stress body movement rather than having to actually block. I think any martial art does. When conftonted with rear choke type attacks, movements are also very similar. From what I've seen any style of Aikido teaches you to use the muscle you have MUCH more effeciently. So, I guess as I progress I can always add more power into techniques. I am just very pleased that different arts fuse together so well...maybe its because these are somewhat related..or maybe its because I'm developing the mindset of a mixed martial artist. Okay, have fun with this.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:31 PM   #2
Clayton Drescher

Dojo: Beach Cities Aikido
United_States
Re: Aikido and Hapkido

I studied Hapkido for a few months before I started Aikido. Apparently Hapkido is a "healing" art too, and my teacher emphasized proper breathing and pressure points that could be used offensively and as healing points. Its nice to know that a "hard" art like Hapkido also has a very deep and "soft" foundation
Old 04-22-2004, 10:39 PM   #3
Fausto
Dojo: Bu Iku Kai Mexico

The "harder style" issue well it depends which style of aikido you practice.

I have not seen a lot of Hapkido but from what I have it's similar to aikido, I agree with that.

What do you mean when you said that they do more strikes?, do you mean atemi or attacks? I ask this because if you are talking about atemis, well that also depends on the style of aikido you practice.

As far as I now, aikido is kind of a "healing" art to because it helps your body in a lot of things, what I did not knew is that Hapkido is a healing art (from that I understood that it may be similar to Shiatsu or Reiki, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:54 PM   #4
Randal Gore
United_States
Ai symbol Re: Aikido and Hapkido

I too studied a little Hapkido before starting Aikido. From the reading that I did, it looks as though the founder of Hapkido actually studied under OSensei. That would explain why Hapkido is so very similiar to Aikido but apparently the Hapkido founder (his name completely slips me at the moment, sorry) felt that the Aikido he had learned would be more effective by blending some of the Korean arts into it.

So my question would be: is Hapkido really just another style of Aikido?

Just curious

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."-Super Chicken
Old 04-22-2004, 11:03 PM   #5
Brad Darr
Dojo: Aikido of Flagstaff/Seibukan Aikido Kobe
United_States

I actually went to a Hapkido shodan test last weekend. Anyway before hand I did a little research. Apparently the originator of hapkido was the korean house boy of Sokaku Takeda and trained in Daitoryu aikijujutsu. Well because he was korean he is not in any of Takeda's records and as the story goes when he went back to Korea years later the certificates he received from Takeda were lost on teh boat ride home. Once back in Korea he set up a school but it was actually one of his students that started using the term Hapkido sometime in the 50's or 60's. Hapkido actually means the same in Korean as Aikido does in japanese. So there it is I got most of that information simply by typing in hapkido into Google and reading the history section of several sites.

the edges of the sword are life and death
no one knows which is which
-Ikkyu Sojun
Old 04-22-2004, 11:32 PM   #6
Brad Darr
Dojo: Aikido of Flagstaff/Seibukan Aikido Kobe
United_States

So I was jsut looking at some old threads that have way more info than I could give. I also wanted to say that watching the shodan test was interesting and the connection between the two arts is very apparent. Just within the first ten minutes I noticed ikkyo, nikkyo, sankyo, shihonage, kotegaeshi, kokyu nage, or some variation of these. Also I really liked the way they did shihonage, with a foot sweep, as they curl the arm they would also sweep the foot making for an effective if some what intense fall. Anyway the connection is definately there to see regardless of all the historical/political gobbledy gook.

the edges of the sword are life and death
no one knows which is which
-Ikkyu Sojun
Old 04-23-2004, 01:39 AM   #7
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Bruce Simms, used to post quite a bit over on Aikido Journal is a pretty good resource for Hapkido history and lineage.

regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 04-23-2004, 07:56 AM   #8
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

I hate soft aikido, if its not hard whats the point? Then again, im a thug
Old 04-23-2004, 08:05 AM   #9
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States

Nick, I know this is off the point of the thread, but I am curious. You say you hate "soft Aikido" When you say soft aikido, does that mean that when you throw or pin, you add more power to the technique than is required to get the same result if soft Aikido is used?

Thanks...Larry
Old 04-25-2004, 04:31 PM   #10
MitchMZ
Dojo: Prairie-Aikikai
United_States

Well thanks for the comments guys...just reaffirming that these arts do in fact have a strong connection. As far as softness goes; if you train for "softness" and near perfect technique...adding a little more muscle power to your body(center) power and extension could only make it stronger right? People have always told me learn the technique well first...then you can add power and practicality accordingly.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:27 PM   #11
gasman

Dojo: Sunyata

a very interesting read, this. ive been aware for a long time that hapkido shares many techniques and much of the philosophy of aikido. ive had some regulars in my bar that did hapkido and next week I am going for a doorman seminar held at some place called "the Korean Self Defence Institute" This could be very interesting... I used to do Tae Kwon Do and now I'm eager to find out more about this other Korean art.

(and it all comes from India through China, innit?)