Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-27-2002, 06:51 AM   #1
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Ignore feature, not very Aiki

I have gotten a couple of emails as to why I have so many ignores in the ignore feature?

Bit too harsh? Words grinding in open wounds?

Or merely the superfluous overviews without seeking the meaning in the body of the post?

How Aiki like is it to take words, interpret them in the context of you knowledge, without seeing the multifaceted value of them?

Aikido is like that. O'Sensei talked about love saving the world, and bringing harmony to the world, what did he mean?

In three or four different students of O'Sensei, they all agreed that he meant the personal allignment of each person with their religion and god would cause each person to be charitable, and that person would be open to the harmony of others seeking peace by being alligned in harmony to their own spirit an religion ... not this mushy you learn my ways and my religion to be alligned with my way of harmony.

How Aiki is the person who uses the "Ignore" feature of the Aikiweb?

How might we help each other to understand the differences of two parties who opted to create the barrier, rather than to merely learn to live within the same Aikido community by having them each bend a bit to ease the tension?
Old 08-27-2002, 07:19 AM   #2
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Bruce, the 'Ignore' button doesn't have anything to do with Aikido. It has to do with the attitudes of the people on this forum, which can be far different then their attitudes on the mat. People who write rude, insulting messages deserve to be ignored, so do those who actively try to disrupt honest threads on the forum. Neither of these apply here, I was just trying to set the stage.

If a person gets ignored by many users, it's a sure bet that that person should take a look at his own post to discover why he's insulting/annoying them.

I'm currently ignored by one person. I wish I knew who it was and why I was ignored, so I could either apologise or explain my position.

I know you don't see it youself, Bruce, but to many people on the forum, your posts appear to be pretentious, pompous and insultingly condecending at times. You often have a seriously 'holier than thou' attitude in your posts that make people's hair stand on end. That's a shame, since you often have some very good points, once the reader slices through the superior philosopical ramblings. THAT's the reason people are ignoring you, not for any imagined lack of 'aikido principles', although if you wish to look at such principles, once again I'd look at your own posts first before throwing stones.

Personally, I don't have you or anyone 'Ignored', I never will. I don't particularly like reading your posts (sorry, Bruce, but this IS a time of total honesty), but you have a lot of good to say; it's not WHAT you say, it's how you say it.

I'm willing to bet that in real life, you're nothing like your image on the forum, so why not quit preaching and just talk? If you want to preach, perhaps you could start with: "Friends, I'm going to preach on this one..." Stop taking yourself so seriously in your posts; everyone involved - you and your readers - will have a better time for it.

This is all, of course, my opinion. Sorry to be so blunt about it, but you did ask; sometimes (and I hope this is one of them) being blunt is the best policy.

Dave

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:31 AM   #3
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Thanks Dave, BUT I wasn't too interested in personal applications to myself, even though I seem to be the champion of the IGNORE feature.

I took it more to be a self examination of your own reasons for using this feature, how your emotions spur you to see something as pompous or holier than thou, because of your conditioning in society?

I guess I prefer to be the mad street prophet who speaks the dreams of truth, but only other madmen understand or at least sympthasize.

No ... there is a deeper lesson to be learned in examining your own convictions to maintain your bubble of safety, your grasp of understanding, and the words transfered in writing as emotional or non emotional.

The ignore feature is sometime Aiki, but without some roughness, some discomfort, what would you base comfort and peace upon?

Yep, I like blunt, it get the truth out quickest and finds a happy solution.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:10 AM   #4
IrimiTom
honestly Bruce, what do you smoke? I mean I know a lot of people who would like to try it....

to answer your question, and I do it for the other people in the forum, cause I know you won't read it or give a damn, to ignore your or anyone else's posts is VERY aiki. Whatever it is that annoys those 28 people who have you in their ignore lists, they are stepping off the line and letting you fall flat on your face or ass when you direct your words towards them.

To Dave: I'm a student still on break... I got some time to lose, but you work and train pretty hard, don't even try to do anything about this, trust me.... too many people have, that is why there IS an ignore feature in the first place...
Old 08-27-2002, 08:14 AM   #5
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Yeah, but I had to try.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:36 AM   #6
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Bruce, a wise man once told me that a hard head makes for a tender fanny. Your fanny must be exceedingly tender!

Sincerely,

Last edited by Greg Jennings : 08-28-2002 at 12:14 PM.

Greg Jennings
Old 08-27-2002, 08:45 AM   #7
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Ignore feature, not very Aiki

Quote:
Bruce Baker wrote:
How Aiki is the person who uses the "Ignore" feature of the Aikiweb?
IMHO, its like "getting off the line" and not letting the uke/nage's attack touch me, Its like they are not there.

BTW, I tend not to ignore, but try to choose wisely who and what I respond to.

Some ones once said it is better to be silent and thought a fool ("mad prophet") than to speak up and remove all doubt.

I like to think and be tested by reistance. I believe it strenghtens my waza.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!