Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-04-2011, 04:25 AM   #51
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: Jo Dori Clip

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
... you must not give back the attacking weapon for another attack.
And you must not hold the weapon which is carrying the spirit of the attacker longer then needed ...
I think the weapon of an attacker / enemy doesn't deserve any respect due to this understanding. And one just has to get get rid of it.

And I added:
Quote:
I don't know how the sword of the enemy was treated in "old japan"?
I only know reishiki concerning ones own sword or the sword of a friend.
I don't know any traditional way how to treat the sword of an enemy.
I once heard that you would break the blade?
Old 04-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #52
Autrelle Holland

Great variety in the waza. It depends on the setting as far as throwing the jo. In the video here, I just sort of went with with. This is an unrehearsed demo on a hardwood floor. The black covering is the thin rubber used at dance studios. I prefer to set the jo somewhere so that I am between the jo and uke, and walk in a direction from both of them, so that uke has to reclaim the jo at a safe distance away from me. Like I said, it really depends. In this demo, I wanted to showcase technique without injury, which is hard on a floor with no mats. You'll notice in the randori, there is one part where I had to make a last minute call to sit down on my butt rather than stand erect and throw my uke backwards over my shoulders. Looks like crud, but, safety first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdK5Iru6j3w
Old 04-15-2011, 12:43 AM   #53
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
Yes this is good observation. Some aikido styles do weapons in Start-Stop method, and the result is a real disaster.
Generally the techniques on this video have very low quality. The level is maximum 5th kyu and not black belt.
Some points from very rudimentary, physical point of view:
Both students are very stiff.
Attacks have not martial intent.
Balance of attacker is not taken in the moment of contact.
Nage is not interested to attack the center of uke but instead is concentrated in the jo catching and later waving jo as attacker doesn't exist.
There is no connection between both students, everybody plays his role separately.
Nage is not doing any locks seriously, so there is no question about even minimum effectiveness(as it can be obtained in dojo context ). Nage would never be able to take jo out of attacker if attacker decide to hold(I'm not even talking here about any serious counter) it for real.
The leading principle doesn't exist.
Nage is not controlling attacker at any moment.
..ok I'l not discuss here any more sophisticated no-physical aspects to demonstrate, unless all above point are not mastered there is no point to talk about it.
Hi, Naga Baba,
Did the demonstrators do anything right? It seems to me you focus is on the negative side.Would you not agree that rather than be really critical , perhaps you could give the guys some encouragement.How about you putting a clip of yourself doing the same ? I would like to see what you would do.The lads doing their
demo deserve a bit of praise for putting the clip online. Cheers, Joe
Old 04-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #54
sorokod
United Kingdom

Quote:
The lads doing their demo deserve a bit of praise for putting the clip online
Why on earth would this be true?

Old 04-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #55
NagaBaba

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Hi, Naga Baba,
Did the demonstrators do anything right? It seems to me you focus is on the negative side.Would you not agree that rather than be really critical , perhaps you could give the guys some encouragement.How about you putting a clip of yourself doing the same ? I would like to see what you would do.The lads doing their
demo deserve a bit of praise for putting the clip online. Cheers, Joe
Hello Joe,
I think all depends how you set the expectations. I'll give you few examples:

When I was young and beautiful(in the middle ages), video was expensive to produce. About 3th kyu I saw myself very first time on video, and I went into the deep depression - I saw so many errors, I couldn't believe it can be true. After that, I promised myself - no more video.

One of my first teachers even didn't remarked my existence first 8 years of my practice. First time he began to talk to me it was after my shodan test.

So when my teacher is pointing my errors I'm very happy - it means he still has a hope I can learn something.This is the best encouragement.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 04-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #56
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post
Why on earth would this be true?
Hi David,
For the simple reason that putting yourself on web pages invites criticism , both positive and negative,By the way i looked at your dojo Webpage and viewed you video clips.No comment.
Hope you are well, Joe
Old 04-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #57
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Hello Joe,
I think all depends how you set the expectations. I'll give you few examples:

When I was young and beautiful(in the middle ages), video was expensive to produce. About 3th kyu I saw myself very first time on video, and I went into the deep depression - I saw so many errors, I couldn't believe it can be true. After that, I promised myself - no more video.

One of my first teachers even didn't remarked my existence first 8 years of my practice. First time he began to talk to me it was after my shodan test.

So when my teacher is pointing my errors I'm very happy - it means he still has a hope I can learn something.This is the best encouragement.
Dear Naga Baba,
As a teacher one must try and balance criticism to a student
i.m.o. I personally am inclined to focus on the positive aspects of a student rather than negative aspects.While I am not a school teacher or a trained educationalist I would suggest to you that
most people will respond to encouragement rather than if the instructor keeps saying 'this/that is incorrect'.I find it strange that you did not speak or communicate with one of your instructors for the first 8 years.Was it a case that both of you did not have anything to say to each other? Your example is not what I would call a good student /teacher relationship, which I consider to be an important element in the transmission of aikido from teacher to student.Still if the apparent lack of dialogue between him /you suited you , fine.
Cheers, Joe.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #58
NagaBaba

Hello Joe,

Quote:
Dear Naga Baba,
As a teacher one must try and balance criticism to a student
i.m.o. I personally am inclined to focus on the positive aspects of a student rather than negative aspects.While I am not a school teacher or a trained educationalist I would suggest to you that
most people will respond to encouragement rather than if the instructor keeps saying 'this/that is incorrect'.
This is very 'western' educational approach.
Quote:
I find it strange that you did not speak or communicate with one of your instructors for the first 8 years.Was it a case that both of you did not have anything to say to each other? Your example is not what I would call a good student /teacher relationship, which I consider to be an important element in the transmission of aikido from teacher to student.Still if the apparent lack of dialogue between him /you suited you , fine.
Cheers, Joe.
I was not in the position to ask questions.

Nagababa

Old 04-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #59
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada

Quote:
Hello Joe,

If this was such a good example, how did you end up on this side of the Atlantic, learning aikido from a western-educated school teacher and earning yourself a reputation for asking the shihans all kinds of awkward questions.

Jonathan Olson
Old 04-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #60
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Hello Joe,

Even my most traditional instructors in Japan talked to me - and I didn't have to wait 8 years. Not a one of them minded answering a polite question either.

Best,

Chris

Old 04-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #61
NagaBaba

Quote:
Jonathan Olson wrote: View Post
If this was such a good example, how did you end up on this side of the Atlantic, learning aikido from a western-educated school teacher and earning yourself a reputation for asking the shihans all kinds of awkward questions.
That is a looong story....one day, with good Belgium beer, we could talk about it

Nagababa

Old 04-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #62
NagaBaba

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Even my most traditional instructors in Japan talked to me - and I didn't have to wait 8 years. Not a one of them minded answering a polite question either.

Best,

Chris
Hi Chris,
In some countries, it can be complicated.

Nagababa

Old 04-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #63
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Hi Chris,
In some countries, it can be complicated.
Do you mean Canada? I lived in Japan for a long time, and it really wasn't all that complicated.

Best,

Chris

Old 04-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #64
NagaBaba

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Do you mean Canada? I lived in Japan for a long time, and it really wasn't all that complicated.

Best,

Chris
No, it was in Europe. I don't want to enter to the details on public forum.

Nagababa

Old 04-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #65
sorokod
United Kingdom

Quote:
Hi David,
For the simple reason that putting yourself on web pages invites criticism , both positive and negative,By the way i looked at your dojo Webpage and viewed you video clips.No comment.
Hope you are well, Joe
Criticism period. There is no intrinsic requirement to be balanced in some way. For that matter no requirement for being constructive or fair. In this case the criticism is honest and to the point so I'd say that it is as good as can be expected.
As far as I am concerned this applies also to the clips posted by the club I train in althoug if memory serves I am not in those clips.

Cheers