Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
oharrismaytin
Dojo: Ichi Rei Dojo
Panama
Ignored by my sensei

Hello everyone. I've been practicing Aikido since 2001. I live in the Republic of Panamá and our Technical Director (TD) lives in Chile. On his last visit our TD promoted me and a coaikidoist to shodan. The announcement was made public and the joy of everyone else for use was legitimate and pure. Our sensei has been encouraging us for some time, maybe two years, to start teaching and improve our teaching methods. Neither my other shodan friend and I felt it was appropriate to teach until we passed the shodan test and received the proper certification, Now, after four months of this, our sensei says is not convenient for her to process our yudansha and certificate at Aikikai Hombu Dojo. No explanation given. Neither my friend nor I know what happened after so much encouraging from her. We are sadden to think our sensei sees us as competition or even that she's envious of the projects and plans we have shared with her. All these projects, for us, morally depend on the appropriate paper work to back up the effort of years, to run them properly and with the necessary recognition. Neither of us wants to be a mercenary of Aikido.

We know there's not much we can do if our sensei doesn't starts the paper work but would like your sincere comments on this subject.

Thanks, Omar
Old 07-31-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
lifeafter2am
Dojo: Shindai Aikikai
United_States
Re: Ignored by my sensei

Are you sure your Sensei is truly affiliated with Aikikai Hombu dojo? Could be another reason for not doing the paperwork. Just throwing a guess out there.

Sorry to hear of your situation!

"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhattha Gotama Buddha
Old 07-31-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

An explanation might not have been given, but did you ask for one? I would ask why it's inconvenient. I'm not sure what the process is for making a promotion official. I'd first ask your sensei, and if an answer wasn't given, then I'd probably ask the technical director.
Good luck.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 07-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Dont know for sure, but it would seem best for her to promote you.
I dont really still have the full gist of it, but it seems you have to have 3 people of dan rank present to even promote someone?
(Im sure there is some basic standard in Aikido on how this is done?)

So my question would be what someone else asked...is she even affiliated? - if so then dont know why she would be worried about competition.

Anyway, suppose this is the point at which people would go independent?

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 07-31-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

I would completely take personal responsibility for following through on your own before making this too much more public.

You've got a right to ask questions, even direct and uncomfortable questions such as :What happened between my exam and now? What is the inconvenience? How can I help move this process long? Are you uncomfortable with my role in teaching?etc...
Those are very important questions and should be simple to answer, especially if you are learning to teach on your own. You need to know the answer. And you need to protect yourself. If you don't you aren't helping anyone else learn Aikido because you aren't applying it to yourself.Love yourself and get some answers.

Best,
Jen

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 07-31-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
An explanation might not have been given, but did you ask for one? I would ask why it's inconvenient. I'm not sure what the process is for making a promotion official. I'd first ask your sensei, and if an answer wasn't given, then I'd probably ask the technical director.
Good luck.
If you're Aikikai affiliated the actual paperwork is minimal and the process is quite simple.

If you're not sure, you can email the international department at Aikikai hombu (in English) and they will tell you whether or not your organization is actually affiliated with the Aikikai.

Best,

Chris

Old 08-01-2008, 02:40 AM   #7
crbateman

You did not mention whether any others in your dojo have previously received accredited dan grades. If so, then affiliation is not the problem, unless it has since lapsed. However, if none have been previously promoted, then I would suspect that a cover-up may be in progress. As others have suggested, you do not need to feel ashamed if you discreetly check directly with Aikikai to see if a relationship is indeed in force.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:02 AM   #8
Beard of Chuck Norris
Dojo: Aberdeen Aikido Yuishinkai
United Kingdom

Congratulations on the shodan!
Old 08-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
oharrismaytin
Dojo: Ichi Rei Dojo
Panama

Thanks for your replies. Other aikido friends have Hombu Aikikai recognition but through the federation managed by our TD in Chile. He's the person who brought Aikido to Panama formally. I follow the advice Jennifer gave me and requested to talk to sensei. I have being requesting this for some time but only on last sat she agreed to talked to me mainly because close friends of both asked her as the tension was growing exponentially. Asked her why she was treating my shodan friend and me so harshly. She said because i don't respect rank. I was surprised and asked when I was disrespectful. She said I exchange e mail address with people at the dojo and that's disrespectful as she's the one that should be taking these addresses. I reminded her that she takes this addresses too when people register to the dojo and that I never use them to make any official announcements of the Aikikai of Panama. She says that I organized social activities and take pictures and share them with everybody and she's not in the pictures. I reminded her that she's the first one invited by me or any other member that organizes an activity and she's the first one invited out of respect. That to be in the pictures she has to be present at the activities and she usually is not. I am still amazed at this answers and how much they do not relate to Aikido directly. I like making friends and Aikido has been a way to find the best. For some time I felt she was no longer supportive or proud of me. Back then I asked if something was wrong. She always said everything was alright. She said she will process all yudansha. My friend's, mine and another friend's that was promoted 3 years ago and she kept it like that with no paper work. She said I have her blessing and support to move on an experience Aikido any way I want but on this tone and stare as if inviting me to go away. I am sad. Deeply.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
lifeafter2am
Dojo: Shindai Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Omar Harris wrote: View Post
Thanks for your replies. Other aikido friends have Hombu Aikikai recognition but through the federation managed by our TD in Chile. He's the person who brought Aikido to Panama formally. I follow the advice Jennifer gave me and requested to talk to sensei. I have being requesting this for some time but only on last sat she agreed to talked to me mainly because close friends of both asked her as the tension was growing exponentially. Asked her why she was treating my shodan friend and me so harshly. She said because i don't respect rank. I was surprised and asked when I was disrespectful. She said I exchange e mail address with people at the dojo and that's disrespectful as she's the one that should be taking these addresses. I reminded her that she takes this addresses too when people register to the dojo and that I never use them to make any official announcements of the Aikikai of Panama. She says that I organized social activities and take pictures and share them with everybody and she's not in the pictures. I reminded her that she's the first one invited by me or any other member that organizes an activity and she's the first one invited out of respect. That to be in the pictures she has to be present at the activities and she usually is not. I am still amazed at this answers and how much they do not relate to Aikido directly. I like making friends and Aikido has been a way to find the best. For some time I felt she was no longer supportive or proud of me. Back then I asked if something was wrong. She always said everything was alright. She said she will process all yudansha. My friend's, mine and another friend's that was promoted 3 years ago and she kept it like that with no paper work. She said I have her blessing and support to move on an experience Aikido any way I want but on this tone and stare as if inviting me to go away. I am sad. Deeply.
Wow, I am really really sorry to hear that!

"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhattha Gotama Buddha
Old 08-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #11
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Omar Harris wrote: View Post
"Something is rotten in the State of Denmark."
-From someone who's been there

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 08-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #12
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Mr. Harris,

I am deeply sorry to have read your posts, but thank you for sharing them. I for one would like to congratulate you on keeping your account as unbiased as possible. It must have been difficult for you and your colleagues.

Though it may seem to appear that time and effort invested has been in vain, please take courage in knowing that this difficult and awkward stage will pass, and you will all be stronger for having worked through it together.

Good luck.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:39 AM   #13
Joe McParland

Dojo: Sword Mountain Aikido & Zen
United_States

Consider an alternative hypothetical view: Through posting this account on AikiWeb, Omar has focused an international eye onto his dojo's operation, all possibly prior to taking the issue up with his instructor or his organization's "TD." This could all be interpreted as "strong arm tactics" for him to get his way in spite of his instructor's opinion or other circumstances. If so, how could Omar possibly go on where he is, now that he's created a sense of embarrassment or shame? After all, if Omar's sensei outranks Omar, should we not silently defer to the ranking party rather than entertain the junior member's postings?

This thread points very clearly to what rank really means.

If Omar's account is complete and accurate---meaning also there is no "other side of the story"---then the thread even more clearly points to what rank really means.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

Omar,

Let me share with you a similar experience.

In the mid/late 1990's the Shaolin Monks toured the united states giving performances, and soon a couple of them had, er, "moved" here to the US . I became a student of one of them in New York City, and spent a couple of years in absolute awe of this guy. We had seven students or so at the beginning, and soon the generous promotional effort surrounding the temple has drawn many more, some quite famous.

We had some interesting adventures and performances, but eventually he started criticizing my character and our relationship became strained. The end came when I started making too strong a social bond with my fellow disciples. I invited several of them to a party at my apartment (on the roof, actually) and then lated invited the monk (he was once a very relaxed guy). "Why didn't you ask me first? Why did you invite so many students?" was his reply, and a few days later he asked me to stay after class. He counted out my last payment, handed it back, and said "you still don't understand. don't come back. if you want to visit, call first." I fought back tears and rang for the elevator. (I'm a sensitive guy)

As I got on he looked me in the eye and said "don't stop training." At least our last moment together was sincere.

I never have stopped training (although I left chinese martial arts behind entirely and here I am in aiki-land). Wow, that was 10 years ago this year. I've never been back to visit, and have since been in touch with many friends from those days who also had, unfortunately, very negative experiences and have all left the temple. A few others have been able to find a place there and remain to this day.

So don't worry. I think it's time to move on, break free to the 36th chamber!!! There's a better teacher out there, I'm sure. One who doesn't feel threatened so easily.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #15
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Lyle Bogin wrote: View Post
So don't worry. I think it's time to move on, break free to the 36th chamber!!! There's a better teacher out there, I'm sure. One who doesn't feel threatened so easily.
"Only one answer. More Practice." -Master Killer 2(36th chamber of the shaolin)

And with all the above in metaphor, I agree. I have had the same experience. Beyond the implicit, although veiled, compliment of jealousy,you are being told there is so much more to learn and to share in some new environment. Your path continues elsewhere.

Best,
Jen

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 08-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #16
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

If she does not follow through, you can always contact the technical director since he promoted you.