Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
delliott

Dojo: Aikido of Marshall
United_States
Training on your own

In between classes every week, I train very hard at home on my own. I usually walk through the progressions of what I had learned in the last class I attended. I try to pay close attention to my footwork, hand placement and my center. I have the aikido 3D program which was recommended by my sensei and I love it!

I'm wondering if anyone can share what they do to train at home on their own to remember techniques. Any advice is appreciated....

"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead. "

O-Sensei
Old 02-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: Training on your own

I don't have a real good space at home to be able to do full movements in so I do more things like Tenkan, Tenkan undo, rowing, and some other little foot work exercises that sensei has shown me in class.

In order to practice full techniques I use visualization. Luckily I have a strong imagination and this works very well for me. LOL even in my imagination techniques don't always go quite right.

I also spend time learning things like meditation and how to quiet the mind in order to better feel and experience what I am learning and to weed out distractions and negative thoughts so that I can get more out of my time in the dojo when I am there.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
dps

Quote:
Darrell Elliott wrote: View Post
In between classes every week, I train very hard at home on my own. I usually walk through the progressions of what I had learned in the last class I attended. I try to pay close attention to my footwork, hand placement and my center. I have the aikido 3D program which was recommended by my sensei and I love it!

I'm wondering if anyone can share what they do to train at home on their own to remember techniques. Any advice is appreciated....
What you are doing is what you should be doing, practicing what is taught in class.
I would be cautious about practicing anything other than what your sensei ( Mark Ultech) is teaching you.
Discuss it with him.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
John Connolly
Dojo: NYC Icho Ryu
United_States

Wrote a lil' bloggy thing about it: http://ourbadbudo.blogspot.com/2009/...out-of-it.html

That's what's worked well for me.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:
Darrell Elliott wrote: View Post

Go with the flow...

- I practice with my kids...
- Watch videos of my instructor and I practicing
- Read forums, etc and watch youtube clips, etc.
- Watch Aikido 3D and ponder the differences
- Train once a week with a few guys from the dojo on the side [focus on training for upcoming test as well as trying to 'feel' why a technique works or does not work]

- Cross training in Thai Boxing/MMA [though I have taken this month off... something about getting out in minus celsius weather constantly turns me off... its enough just getting out the door to the Aikido practices.]

Basically make it your own... you can practice your footwork - and really start pondering and making Aikido fit you. [philosophical, sport, etc.]

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com