Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
DonMagee
United_States
Leaving, final thoughts.

Sorry I am not sure where to best put this, please move as needed.

As some people might have noticed. I have a very strong personality. I tend to make people mad with the bluntness of my arguments and the mindset of which I approach things. If you were unable to tell, I am not a religious person, I am a man of logic and science, and I have been that way only after being burned multiple times with trust in faith.

I started my path in the martial arts as a child, quit and started up again about 6 or 7 years ago. I tried really hard to have faith, but found I simply no longer have that capability. I tried to believe what I was told, but my mind would sit and work out the logic, research anatomy, talk to doctors, and scientists, seek out new information. According to my teachers this confused me, and kept me from learning the true martial arts. This approach was bad.

I was lucky to be introduced to MMA by my aikido instructor. It showed me something quantifiable. I was lucky he introduced me to the history of aikido, to books that helped me find the answers I was seeking so desperately. A hobby I tried to pick up for fun because a desperate pursuit of answers that often kept me awake at night, as much as any programming problem I might face in my day to day job. Simply put he helped me get my fun back.

I did have the thought of , if it is not from asia, it is not martial arts. I had the belief that if it was sport, it was not useful. And I desperately clung to the belief that size, strength, and physical attributes simply did not matter. Judo helped prove me wrong on the sport part. Bjj, helped prove me wrong on the asain part, and mma sparing helped prove me wrong on all accounts. Or maybe rather just refine those beliefs into something more realistic.

I found this forum in the mist of this change. I found a lot of insight here that I was looking for. I waited about a year to post. My first posts ironically came with my last 'offical' lessons in aikido. I went from 3 days a week, to 2 days, to 1 day, to when I could wake up on a saturday, to "hey, I'll meet you guys for breakfast after class". At the same time my bjj training and judo training were escalating to 6 days a week. And my vision was changing as well.

In the beginning, when I would go to a martial art class, I would be amazed at what I saw. Especially my first few aikido classes. I couldn't even understand what was happening to the students. I could not 'see' their balance, their mindset, their intent.

Now that is changed. I can watch a technique and see how the balance is set, where the escapes are, the mindset and intent of the uke and nage, etc. And now instead of wonderment, I think "How can I use this?" and I work though all the situations I am familiar with and how it can work. If I come up with one, I test it in my training. I also think "where are the flaws, what are the strengths?" and again I apraise the technique based on my current understanding. I take notes, keep a training log, save videos on the internet, consult my teachers(bjj, judo), friends(karate, mma) and mentors (aikido, japanese jj, boxing, mauy thai, and karate) and run drills in my off time. I'm sure my wife is sick of the "Honey, can you come down here so I can try this?" questions. If I don't see immediate possibility afor use, I shelve it and make a solid attempt to come back to it later.

I found this forum to fit int between the friend and mentor status. A place where I could find people with training from all over the world to listen to my ideas and feedback with their own ideas. Some of my ideas changed from posting here, some of my ideas solidified. This website, judoforum.com, and bullshido.net have all helped me understand what I was after, and what I was getting from my training.

I was talking to my old aikido teacher about martial arts a couple weeks ago. We were talking philosophy and training concepts and about his teacher. Now, I know he has the goal of returning me to aikido, because he really feels it is the best martial art. I can't fault him for that and I can't argue with him. It is the best martial art, for him and his students. That is another subject. One thing he did say though is that he has found what he enjoys and has zero interest in what anyone else is doing. That hit home with me and took a while to really settle in.

I guess it hit home because this is what my online presence has become. I am no longer enjoying my conversations or exploring the reasoning for my beliefs. I am no longer being presented with new information and instead, just a rehash of the same old same old. I stopped reading the spiritual posts and the ideal posts because they no longer interested me. Instead I was reading about training methods, and techniques and how they can be applied. Looking over my past posts for the last few months I found nothing but wasteful arguments with no insight gained and no resolution. Very different from my first posts here. I think this is because my ideas on what a martial art is, and what I want from the martial arts has solidified. Arguments presented on the internet are just not solid enough to change my ideals anymore. I feel all my future growth will be done face to face.

Continuing to post here will really accomplish nothing but annoy those of you who are trying to get information from this forum. I do not wish to become the negative voice in anyone's training. It is not my place to point out things I find fundamentally wrong or silly and I sincerely hope none of us ever find out if I was right or wrong. I'm just spinning my wheels and getting annoyed and it seems what I thought was respect is in fact disrespectful. If you felt my challenging and asking questions or tone was or is against your concept of respect, then I am sorry.

So I want to thank everyone who argued with me, tolerated me, tried to help me, and even those who attempted to insult me. All of you have helped define what I believe martial arts are. I'll leave you with what I feel I have learned. Feel free to take it to heart, argue it or ignore it, but I will not be back, at least not unless I encounter something that changes me way of thinking. Who knows what changes time will make.

Things I've come to believe:

A martial art is as good as its worst teacher.
The person is more important then any training.
Technique and strategy can overcome size and strength, but only so much.
When technique is equal, bigger stronger faster matters.
The starting place and often most neglected self defense is getting physically fit.
Breathing is the most important thing you can learn .
Position is the second most important thing you can learn .
Nothing is certain.
Trickery is a talent.
Sparing is not competition
Sparing is not fighting
Repetition is the best form of memorization
Most people can't handle being punched in the face.
Most people can't handle the stress of sparing, at first.
Pride defeats learning, but confidence helps.
Pride and confidence are often confused for the same thing, or for each other.
Speculation is bad.
Testing your ideas is a noble pursuit. But honesty is required because you can't test everything all the time.
Groin shots are not as effective as I've been lead to believe.
When someone says it is impossible to escape, what they really mean is that they have not been taught the escape, or they never let anyone try.
If it is impossible to test in sparing, and is non-obvious (like eye gouges), it's not worth training.
Most people argue about what budo is.
I do not want to peruse budo.
I have adequate self defense, even if I stopped training today and only went to the gym to stay in shape.
I've learned more about myself in competition then I ever have though reflection, meditation, yoga, kata, one step sparing, writing songs on my guitar, playing in a band, programing, working on cars, going to school, or any other spiritual activity.

Anyways, thanks again for the chance to learn from all of you. I won't be coming back so if you want a response, email me. I turned on emailing for this account and changed the address to one I check. I'll be happy to reply as long as I think it is productive.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 11-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Leaving, final thoughts.

Hi Don,

I for one will miss you...please come back and visit from time to time, even if only to read and say hello. You and I probably have very different overall perspectives and goals, but I have learned a lot from you and I admire the way you stick to your guns. And they are good guns, too!

Wish you the best in your future endevours,

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 11-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

Don, I appreciate the self reflection and candor of your post. Best wishes, wherever life and your training leads you.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-09-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
crbateman

My personal view is that there is never a time when people have nothing more to gain from, or offer to, each other. It is obvious from your post and your prior contributions that you are a thinking man. Don't stop thinking, because you may one day think it is time to rejoin this community. I hope so. Gambatte.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Don't worry everybody, he'll come crawling back! They always do!

Take care, Don. I hope you come back.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 11-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States

Bumper sticker seen on the streets of Miami, FL:

"Don't go away mad, we weren't shootin' at you!"

Well, sorry to hear you're movin' on, I like to think I learn a little about Aikido and life from everyone who posts. And I certainly don't need less folks to learn from. Thanks.

W.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 11-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

I'll miss you Don.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #8
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

See you at the top of the mountain.

William Hazen
Old 11-09-2007, 06:52 PM   #9
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Don,

It has been a pleasure reading your post and conversing with you. I wish you'd stay, I enjoy your honesty, thoughts, and faith you have that the path requires much thought, introspection, and hardwork.

That is the faith that I represent and believe in. In that respect, I agree with much of what you are doing and in what you say!

Good luck and I hope to some day train and meet with you!

Old 11-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #10
nagoyajoe

Dojo: Kokikai Hombu Shushinkan Dojo, Nagoya
Japan

Best of luck in your new adventures and wherever your training takes you. Stay healthy and I wish you peace of mind.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:59 PM   #11
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
Continuing to post here will really accomplish nothing but annoy those of you who are trying to get information from this forum. ... I will not be back, at least not unless I encounter something that changes me way of thinking. Who knows what changes time will make.
Only that it will make changes. "Getting information"is actually not a large part of this for me. "Find out for yourself" is very much my mode of exploration. In that a sounding board is necessary to avoid self-delusion. This is a good place for that, even when it fails in that role.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #12
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
NOTHING STAYS THE SAME, THE ONLY CONSTANT IS CHANGE ITSELF.
With this, I wish you all the best, we are all journey-(wo)men after all.

We are all but only a tourist on this journey called life. Live for the moment, enjoy the view, move on... Live and let live.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:41 AM   #13
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, some like resistance training, some don't.
Some like to give it but not receive it.
Some like to receive it, but not give it.
On the mat or in forum, the same.
I always bow and thank my training partners.
Rei, Domo.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:16 AM   #14
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany

Thank you very much for your input, Don! Best of luck for your life and training.
N.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:24 AM   #15
Aristeia
New Zealand

Sorry to see you go Don, I've found your input to be immensely valuable. Maybe one day the stars will align and we'll find ourselves on the same mat. Until then, travel well....

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 11-12-2007, 03:53 AM   #16
dps

As my favorite cowboy actor of my childhood used to sing at the end of his tv show, " Happy trails to you, until we meet again."

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:36 AM   #17
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Don,

I've aways enjoyed reading your posts, challenging or otherwise. It's always loss when a good student leaves a dojo, but nearly always everyone wishes them the best.

Go well,

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:52 AM   #18
salim
United_States

Don,

Greatly appreciated your input and perspectives and often agreed with you. You are definitely need in such forums.

Unfortunately there are not enough people like you on this forum, which causes an unbalance of perspectives to share. I feel alone in my quest to promote views that are similar to yours.

Really a shame they ran you away.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:56 AM   #19
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Quote:
...Greatly appreciated your input and perspectives and often agreed with you. You are definitely need in such forums.

Unfortunately there are not enough people like you on this forum, which causes an unbalance of perspectives to share...
I agree.
Not enough Dons around.

I found myself in agreement with more than 90% of Don's comments, and that's amazing.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #20
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Salim Shaw wrote: View Post
Don,
Unfortunately there are not enough people like you on this forum, which causes an unbalance of perspectives to share. I feel alone in my quest to promote views that are similar to yours.

Really a shame they ran you away.
I think you do a great dis-service to Don and to yourself with these statements...

Don would have been the first to say no one "ran him away" and he never implied anything like that is his message...

Second the view that your "quest" to promote similar views is a Trollish Manifesto at best...and your suggestion that you're the only one here who is interested in making Aikido better is rediculous...

Nothing could be further from the truth and it's posts like this that give internet discourse the poor reputation that it has in some circles.

William Hazen