Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-29-2005, 10:57 AM   #26
roosvelt
Canada
Re: Aikido3D

I'm going to take my 4th Kyu test next month. I got Aikido3D last night. After installation, I had to log on to their web site www.aikido3d.com to register to get the key. The registration was fast though.

After starting the program, you choose a technique, a computer modeled Donovan and a Uke will show the technique. You can view it from different angle, and slow down the action.

All the techniques are mainly from USAF 5th kyu to 1st kyu tests, no more or less. The style/variation that Donovan has is exactly what my instructor teach us. So I don't have to do any adjustment.

I'm satisfied with Aikido3D. I think it's very useful for a white belt to pass tests. A black belt may find it too basic.

Side notes:

1. Donovan is known for his "soft breakfall". Watching the uke, I think my breakfall that I learnt from my sensei is the soft style. I now wondering what is the "hard breakfall".

2. The Uke doesn't do any back roll. Where normally I do a bankroll (in Iriminage, for example), the Uke turns it into some type of front roll.

Need Improvement:

1. A real video clip in the program would be nice. So I can connect the computer model with real person.

2. No reset button. After slow down the action, I want to watch it in a real life speed. There isn't a way to do it.

3. Since this program seems to target the white belts, it should include the 6th kyu requirements as well, like Ukemi, Shikko, different locks and pins .

I think the program is well worth the price of $60, less than 2 month dojo fee.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:06 AM   #27
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

Thanks for the review. I train in the USAF-ER, too. I've been wanting to get it myself to check it out, but I just tested for 1st kyu so I've been wondering the usefulness to having it other than a good review of our basic techniques.

I just want to add, that you won't see any 6th testing requirements because the USAF-ER doesn't officially have a 6th kyu rank, although I believe some schools might have one on an unofficial basis. But it would be nice if they demonstrated basics things like shikko.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 09-29-2005, 12:20 PM   #28
Michael Zartman
Dojo: Three Streams Aikido/Twinsburg, Ohio
United_States

I believe Aikido3D is very useful, even for those who are beyond Kyu testing. It is a revolutionary training tool, permitting views from the side, above, and behind. It allows for replay in varying speeds, from slow to fast, and with or without hakama (showing footwork). It may cover the USAF kyu testing requirments, but is incomplete as far as all fundamental techniques are concerned. Nevertheless, it contains substantial information.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:53 PM   #29
O-Ren

Dojo: Aikido of Palestine
United_States
Aikido 3D DVD

Hay all, I just stumbled on to a site and I was just wondering if any of U have ever seen and or have it, and wha ya think about it. Also, if you haven't U really should check it. http://www.aikido3d.com/

O-Ren
Old 10-08-2005, 01:57 PM   #30
tenshinaikidoka

Dojo: Aikido Of Benton County Richland, Wa.
United_States
Re: Aikido 3D DVD

I think, as purely a tool to assist in learning, I gues that is not a bad thing. But I hope it is not another "Learn and gain rank at home" system. My personal opinion.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:06 PM   #31
giriasis
United_States

Quote:
Brandon Needham wrote:
I think, as purely a tool to assist in learning, I gues that is not a bad thing. But I hope it is not another "Learn and gain rank at home" system. My personal opinion.
Of course it's not a learn and gain rank at home system. This is put out by Donovaite Waite of the United States Aikido Federation. They do NOT support such concept. You get your rank the good old fashioned way by going to the dojo and training.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 10-08-2005, 04:29 PM   #32
tenshinaikidoka

Dojo: Aikido Of Benton County Richland, Wa.
United_States

Well, pardon me for being ignorant, but I have seen high ranking Sensei in "Federations" give away rank for money. Wasn't trying to offend anyone, because I do not know who this person is. But I have seen an Aikido learn at home program where you get your videos sent to you along with your shodan certificate. So I beleive I was being genuin with my concern and reply. Again, it was not meant to be a reflection on any individual. If it was taken as such, well, then sorry!!!
Old 10-08-2005, 08:26 PM   #33
giriasis
United_States

Quote:
Brandon Needham wrote:
Well, pardon me for being ignorant, but I have seen high ranking Sensei in "Federations" give away rank for money. Wasn't trying to offend anyone, because I do not know who this person is. But I have seen an Aikido learn at home program where you get your videos sent to you along with your shodan certificate. So I beleive I was being genuin with my concern and reply. Again, it was not meant to be a reflection on any individual. If it was taken as such, well, then sorry!!!
Well, there are frauds out their that do things like that and I would agree that such practices are misguided. However, yes, I think you really jumped the gun with this one. If you have done any reading here you'd know that USAF is one of the largest Aikido associations in the U.S. and my experience is that the great majority of the people are respectful human beings and would not think to "sell" ranks through videos. If you don't know who Donovan Waite is why not ask about him and his background instead of jumping to conclusions? You'd come to find out that he is respected across different orgainzations. And he isn't some rank selling fraud.

Aikido3D is merely a teaching aid for those students in our federation, who received instruction in person by qualified and certified instructors. Our testing requirements are also found in the Power and Basics video series by Yamada Sensei, those videos have been out for years. So our testing requirements being on video is nothing new. No one gets rank from just watching a video.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 10-08-2005, 08:31 PM   #34
giriasis
United_States

Quote:
Todd Stark wrote:
Hay all, I just stumbled on to a site and I was just wondering if any of U have ever seen and or have it, and wha ya think about it. Also, if you haven't U really should check it. http://www.aikido3d.com/

O-Ren

Todd, sorry to have side tracked your inquiry. Yes, I've heard of Aikido3D and have heard it is a great tool for helping you learn your techniques, especially if your school is part of the USAF-Eastern Region. These links should help answer some questions:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...light=Aikido3D

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...light=Aikido3D

Anne Marie Giri
Old 10-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #35
vjw
Dojo: Rochester Phoenix
United_States

I make a 180 mile round trip 1 day each week to do a 1 hour class with a USAF instructor. Videos or software programs could not replace this class but they are still very useful tools, especially for someone like myself running a new club 90 miles from any established traditional Aikido club. I have Aikido3d and think it's great. You can watch the technique from any angle, even from above, and at any speed. Not a jerky frame by frame for slow motion but a nice smooth slow reply. You can pause the picture, change the angle of view then use the mouse to go backwards and forwards over a fraction of the technique (great for checking footwork or change of hand grip). It's particularly valuable for anyone studying the USAF (East) test syllabus for 5th to 1st kyu. I'm looking forward to seeing how the software develops. I would love to be able to analyze other instructor's movement using this tool.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:53 AM   #36
ronin_10562
Dojo: NGA Ossining

It's great! That is the best way to watch and understand techniques when not in class. This can only enhance your training. I'm ordering mine today.

Walter Kopitov
Old 10-09-2005, 09:24 AM   #37
ajbarron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai

This is a great adjunct to the videos that Yamada Sensei put out a few years ago with Donovan Waite as Uke. The techniques are similar to our dojo's test syllabus with some variations in execution. This fact does not diminish from the ability of a student of Aikido to use this product as an excellent resource. I can without hesitation recommend this DVD to any serious student of Aikido.

I have my mail order Shodan and am now working on my real one !!!!! 6 years down and months to go!!!

Cheers and soft landings
Old 10-09-2005, 02:24 PM   #38
darin

looks interesting
Old 10-10-2005, 06:54 AM   #39
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

I think it's very cool.

Of most interest to me was the fact that the images recorded are of what Waite Sensei and his uke actually did. There are plenty of things that might be excluded from books as mistakes, that are interesting in themselves. Also you can clearly see subtle movements just before contact that are near impossible to study normally.

What I need now is a suit that replicates the movements exactly - conditioning my body to perform them Joking aside, this would be possible if anyone wants to invest a few million?
Old 11-11-2005, 05:24 AM   #40
craig chapman
Dojo: Jarrow CA, Perth Green
United Kingdom
Smile Aikido3D

Hi Guys

Whilst browsing the net I came across, probably one of the most interesting tools for Aikido training Ive ever seen.
Its definitly worth a look and I'll definitly be buying it...once I can afford it, lol
Its called 'Aikido3D' and Ive included the link below.

Take care of each other

Craig Chapman

PS, before anyones mentions, I do realise this is for a certain 'style' of Aikido.

http://www.aikido3d.com/aboutaikido.htm
Old 11-11-2005, 08:29 AM   #41
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Hi Craig.

Thanks for the mention of this, but it has been brought up before. I'm curious though, if anyone has gotten it and what their thoughts of it are? How helpful has it been?

Looking for reviews...

Old 11-11-2005, 08:34 AM   #42
dj_swim
United_States

What "style" of Aikido is this for? I noticed they mentioned techniques from 5th-1st Kyu... isn't there a 6th Kyu? What are you called before 6th?

I thought about getting this just so I could see the footwork and learn the names of the techniques, since those seem to be my biggest problems.

Thanks!

-Doug
Old 11-11-2005, 08:46 AM   #43
akiy

Thread merged with previous discussion on the Aikido3d product.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 11-11-2005, 09:41 AM   #44
roosvelt
Canada

Quote:
Doug Wiley wrote:
What "style" of Aikido is this for? I noticed they mentioned techniques from 5th-1st Kyu... isn't there a 6th Kyu? What are you called before 6th?

I thought about getting this just so I could see the footwork and learn the names of the techniques, since those seem to be my biggest problems.

Thanks!

-Doug
The Aikido3D covers the following without the freestyle though.

I'd expect a higher level of ukemi because of Donovan's reputation. I wasn't impressed. In the iriminage, the uke step out backward with inside leg (closer leg to nage) to do a kind of backward with forward style. I tried that with my sensei. I found out my inside leg against my sensei's leg. I landed with my ass first. There simply no room to step back. Now I restorted back to my regular backward breakfall. I should ask Aikido3D for partial refund for my sore ass.

I wouldn't complain if Aikido3D from other source. But Donovan Sensei is known for his Ukemi. I expected better ukemi technique.

It speaks out the waza name in Japanese for every waza, which is very nice. I think it's a native Japanese speaker because it's very flat without the western tone.

Since I have no relationship to Aikido3D unless you count I bought a copy from them. I won't say the following list is accurate.

5th Kyu (6th Kyu + 60 days)

* Shomenuchi ikkyo (omote & ura)
* Tsuki kotegaeshi
* Shomenuchi iriminage
* Ushiro tekubitori kotegaeshi
* Katatetori shihonage (omote & ura)
* Morotetori kokyuho
* Ryotetori tenchinage

4th Kyu (5th Kyu + 80 days)

* Shomenuchi nikkyo (omote & ura)
* Ushiro ryokatatori kotegaeshi
* Yokomenuchi shihonage (omote & ura)
* Tsuki iriminage
* Ushiro tekubitori sankyo (omote & ura)
* Suwari waza:
o Shomenuchi ikkyo
o Katatori nikkyo (omote & ura)
o Katatori sankyo

3th Kyu (4th Kyu + 100 days)

* Yokomenuchi iriminage (2 ways)
* Ushiro ryokatatori sankyo (omote & ura)
* Yokomenuchi kotegaeshi
* Morotetori iriminage (2 ways)
* Tsuki kaitenage
* Shomenuchi sankyo (omote & ura)
* Suwari waza:
o Shomenuchi iriminage
o Shomenuchi nikkyo (omote & ura)
* Hanmi-handachi:
o Katatetori shihonage
o Katatetori kaitenage (uchi & soto mawari)

2nd Kyu (3rd Kyu + 200 days)

* Shomenuchi shihonage
* Morotetori nikkyo
* Shomenuchi kaitenage
* Yokomenuchi gokyo
* Ushiro tekubitori shihonage
* Ushiro tekubitori jujinage
* Ushiro kubishime koshinage
* Hanmi-handachi:
o Shomenuchi iriminage
o Katatetori nikkyo
o Yokomenuchi kotegaeshi

1st Kyu (2nd Kyu + 300 days)

* Katatori menuchi - 5 techniques
* Koshinage - 5 techniques
* Yokomenuchi - 5 techniques
* Morotetori - 5 techniques
* Shomenuchi - 5 techniques
* Ryotetori - 5 techniques
* Hanmi-handachi (ushiro waza - 5 techniques)
* Tantotori
Old 11-11-2005, 10:34 AM   #45
dj_swim
United_States
Square Re: Aikido3D

Okay, so I'll tell you my situation, and someone let me know if they think this tool would be useful:

I'm a fourth-class (meaning I've been to four classes) aikido student. Everyone else in my dojo is much more advanced than I am, so I do my best to simply take the advice of sensei, watch the demonstrations, and let my techniques "flow". However, the technical/logical learner in me wants to spend lots of time breaking down and analyzing the small details in the movements (especially footwork!) which I feel can be a nuisance to bring up in class. When I first saw this program, I thought it would be a great tool for me to analyze technique to my hearts desire, and the physical refinement would take place in the dojo.

Also, my school is ASU affiliated, but we have Aikikai in our dojo name, so I'm not really sure if I'm learning the same things as are on this CD (although from the pictures/videos on the website I definitely recognize some common movements).

My biggest concern right now is to learn the most basic movements very very well... I don't care if I never pass a kyu exam, that's not what I'm in this for... I'm in it for the long term... so I know that investing as much time as possible into the most basic techniques (especially ukemi) will pay dividends later. So...

1. Will this help me learn* the most fundamental techniques (including ukemi)?
2. Will this help me learn the names of the techniques?
3. Is this even the same style of Aikido as the dojo I'm currently attending?
4. Most importantly, will this give me the confidence to roll around on my concrete apartment floor?

*learn = technically analyze, I understand that this is in no way shape or form a substitute for dojo training

Alright, this post has become way more long winded than I intended, but I am just starting to grasp the variety of styles/affiliations/techniques that are out there, so I wanted to be clear about my situation.

Thanks in advance!

-Doug
Old 11-11-2005, 11:00 AM   #46
roosvelt
Canada

Quote:
Doug Wiley wrote:

1. Will this help me learn* the most fundamental techniques (including ukemi)?
2. Will this help me learn the names of the techniques?
3. Is this even the same style of Aikido as the dojo I'm currently attending?
4. Most importantly, will this give me the confidence to roll around on my concrete apartment floor?

-Doug
>>1. Will this help me learn* the most fundamental techniques (including ukemi)?

You won't learn ukemi from it. The Uke doesn't do a simple normal backward roll in the entire program.

You can learn the kata from it.

>>2. Will this help me learn the names of the techniques?

Yes. It helps a lot with the pronouncations.

>>3. Is this even the same style of Aikido as the dojo I'm currently attending?

I believe so. Of course your instructor may have small variations.

>>4. Most importantly, will this give me the confidence to roll around on my concrete apartment floor?

Not a chance.

I think you're in the right direction. To learn ukemi is job #1 for beginners.

Aikido3D will help you in the future. But now, I think should get some Ukemi tapes or books first.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:18 PM   #47
Michael Zartman
Dojo: Three Streams Aikido/Twinsburg, Ohio
United_States

Doug Wiley,
I am ASU trained (through all kyu rankings), although I subsequently trained in Aikikai, and am currently training in an early Maruyama Sensei style. My current sensei also is very much enamored with the aikido of Nishio Sensei (on DVD), and we are cross-training in those techniques as well. My point is that, although Donovan Waite Sensei does represent a different style, I have found that the fundamentals are pretty similar across styles--that should be expected, as the fundamentals were created by one man, O'Sensei. I am very impressed with Aikido3D. I believe Waite Sensei's movement, as animated, is excellent. His aikido does seem to vary somewhat from the ASU techniques I learned (from Saotome Sensei and Hreha Sensei), but his aikido works, and works well. I think Aikido3D is one of the best tools I have seen for mudansha--not only does it show the fundamentals of attacks and techniques from different angles and at slow and fast speeds, but it helps to teach the terminology. It will not help you learn ukemi--you can't learn ukemi from a software program, DVD or tape--ukemi must be learned by doing on the mat. However, Aikido3D does reinforce fundamentals concerning footwork, as well as blending, distance and connection between nage and uke. It is a tool, not a replacement, for actual practice. My best advice to you is that, after just 4 classes, you should not roll around on your concrete apartment floor. Learning ukemi on an appropriate surface is the most important thing for beginners, but Aikido3D can show you what you can expect to accomplish as uke and nage through the different stages of your development. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #48
crbateman

Doug, this software is an interesting tool and worth the investment, but technically speaking, the proper place to learn anything of real value, especially for a beginner who needs fundamentals, is ON THE MAT. It's a little early after four classes to be mapping out your training strategy. Don't spend too much time "breaking down" and "analyzing" yet. Get in the dojo, take an overdose of basics, listen to your instructor's suggestions, and then at some point down the road, take stock of your progress, try to identify those areas which are lacking, and then set some goals and strategies. Aikido is a lifetime path for the dedicated student, and patience is a MUST.

As for "styles", whether your dojo is ASU, USAF, AAA, or McBudo, your instructor's Aikido is what you are dealing with the most, and his skill, attitude and ability will have more influence on you than anything else. The lines between styles are often blurry.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #49
dj_swim
United_States

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
McBudo
Hehe...

Oh I understand completely what you're saying about dojo time. I go every day my dojo is open, but the other three days of the week I'm thinking about techniques, so I might as well be looking at an illustration of someone who knows (very well) what they're doing than relying completely on my memory (which is foggy at best).

Also, I defnitely need to work on memorizing some of the names of things that I've done... I'm really horrible at that. "Seiza" is about the only thing I can come up with right now... if that gives you any idea, and this program should help with that and is a more effective use of time to do outside the dojo than asking sensei 1000 times:

Doug: "What's this called again?"
Sensei: "This is the dojo..."

I do appreciate all the input though, and don't worry, I wasn't serious about rolling around on my concrete floors.... well a little... but not from standing!

-Doug
Old 11-11-2005, 05:46 PM   #50
giriasis
United_States

There is no 6th kyu on the video because there is no 6th kyu level for the USAF-ER. We start testing at 5th kyu.

Also regarding the ushiro ukemi for iriminage, that is how it is commonly practiced in the USAF-ER at a basic level. If you watch Donovan's Ukemi video there is an explanation as how to do this. But, I know exactly what you're talking about. It is correct that if you try to tuck the inside the foot that the nage's leg will get in the way and you will either be planted on your derrier or have to take a side fall. There is a simple adjustment you can make. As we practice it, you take a small step to the side with the outside foot first then go down on the inside leg. Once you figure this out you will be able to do this ukemi more easily, and you will be able to avoid nage's leg. As a result, you will be practicing a much softer ukemi and it's nice to utilize when your nage doesn't throw you with enough momentum to put you into a backward roll.

Last edited by giriasis : 11-11-2005 at 05:50 PM.

Anne Marie Giri