Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-25-2001, 10:03 PM   #1
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
Focus

yesterday was an intresting day at Aikido!! I didnt just learn a new throw but I learned some thoughts on training and focus. it all started when my sensi was talking us through a throw... you see I am hearing impaired ( as i have said on other post) and I was trying to look where teh sensi was. I was in a awkard position because i was tori and had to maintain my balance while I was trying to listin to my sensi and watch what he was doing. this was very difficult for me. so he comes over me and tells me in a stern voice to look ahead and focus. well I was thinking I am trying to focus but I also want to know what is going on to. this was alright because thankfully he didnt have to explain any more steps to the throw. ( I am doing yoshinkian wich the teachers teach step by step kind of nice then later we do them repetitivly as fast as we can while still maintaining our balance and poster. then he finaly says kame and we are in a stance. then my partner bows to me, and I was walking away to sit.. but then I noticed that no one else moved.so I scrambled back to my spot. you se I rely on more what I see than hear bacicaly because I dont hear well. so, my sensi frusterated and very stern! tells me how I am not focused and you must be focused in order to trian. this sort of got me and I felt sort of misunderstood but I learned some stuff.

1. make sure you are absolutly positive that your sensi tells you to bow.

2. stay focused and try not to hear sensi.

3. being focused brings good training.

I concluded that he wasn't mad but was trying to get a point acroos even though I tried my best to be focused..
any thoughts on focus and training??

Dallas Adolphsen
Old 06-26-2001, 03:10 AM   #2
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Yep, my thoughts on focus and training is; how do you get it?

I find that sometimes the class gets a bit slack and casual; attacks become weak, people end up chatting, techniques become tired and bend their backs.

I think sometimes making sure the mat is small compared to the class size can help as you have to keep moving to avoid other people and you have to get up quick to avoid someone landing on you!

Ian

P.S. sounds a bit harsh on you if you can't hear properly, but I suppose it's up to you to use other strategies to make up for that.

Last edited by ian : 06-26-2001 at 03:12 AM.
Old 06-26-2001, 09:47 AM   #3
TheProdigy
Dojo: Aikido Kokikai Delaware
Well, still in my 1st year I'm a newbie. Although I had an interesting insight last class regarding one point. What happened wasn't so important to this topic, though it's a great place to put your focus during techniques as you get more and more comfortable with them.

In regards to focusing on what's going on with your eyes, I would say don't so much look just ahead. Rather, allow your sight to expand even into your periphiral vision, focusing on nothing, and yet everything. At least, this is something I've been told. I've gotten close to these states, and I must say awareness does come to an all-time high.

Good luck to you,
-Jase

Jason Hobbs
"As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise you will miss most of your life."