Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-26-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
Jamie_Macc
Dojo: Macclesfield/Genbukan
United Kingdom
Training in Japan

I have been doing training in aikido almost six years now, and in a couple of years wish to go and train at the hombu, if anyone has ever been, would you please tell me how it is and if it is wise to do so?

Many thanks Jamie
Old 08-26-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada
Re: Training in Japan

I heard they got one of these babys...

I'd definitely go.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
Carl Thompson

Japan

I've only been about a dozen times, but from what I've experienced so far, I would highly recommend it. If you've been training six years, you shouldn't have trouble with the Doshu's asageiko (morning practice). It gets really crowded (two people to a tatami at times) which is good zanshin training, but people will take turns to sit out if it's really busy. A good thing is you get to see lots of different interpretations, not just from the sensei, but also from the regular students and other visitors from all over Japan and the world. The afternoon classes seem to be a bit quieter so you can get a bit more attention. It all combines into a good training package in my opinion and there seems to be plenty of events year round.

And they have vending machines although I'm not sure if they sell Pocari Sweat. I usually chug a two-litre bottle from the nearest Conbini after training in the current heat and humidity.

Maybe see you there sometime?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

I would second the recommendation. Training there on my last vacation several years ago was absolute fun. I also learned a few things that I was able to remember. I think training there is like a holy pilgrimage that all people practicing the art must try to make. Next... Iwama shrine.

Oh, they have the soda machine inside but I found others outside not too far away that was way more cheaper. Hope they're still there for my next visit.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
Tambreet
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo, Chicago
United_States

That looks the the vending machine they had when I was there in June. Notice how tiny the bottles of water are - if you're like me, you'll want about 5 of those after class.

There was just a recent thread on training in Tokyo which you may find informative:
http://aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12910
Old 08-30-2007, 06:29 AM   #6
Jamie_Macc
Dojo: Macclesfield/Genbukan
United Kingdom

Thanks to you all, its great to hear from people who have been. thanks for the link, and i may see you there sometime soon.

Pocari Sweat souns intresting...