Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
On again off again on again

Hey folks,
I recently returned to training after a bit of time away (again) and just really had a great time. It was interesting and a bit surreal in that it felt very much like old times though new at the same time. I'm curious about this on again off again aspect to training. Has anyone noticed anything particularly noteworthy when they go away for a while and come back again? While I know the basic idea is continuous training, have any of you ever gained a nice new perspective from stepping back and then reengaging training?
I used to train so intensely and then half-assed it for quite some time...i guess my heart wasn't as into it and I was distracted by other things going on, but coming back and training 'till my guts caught fire sure did feel good!
So...i guess I'm asking (a bit redundantly)...any interesting milestones along these lines? ...or not along these lines?
Hope you're all doing well.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 08-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Re: On again off again on again

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
So...i guess I'm asking (a bit redundantly)...any interesting milestones along these lines? ...or not along these lines?
Hope you're all doing well.
Take care,
Matt
I cannot say that I've ever done what you describe except when taking a trip with family and was unable to find a dojo to train in on that trip. So the longest I've ever been off the mat is perhaps a couple of weeks.

However, being a bit OCD, I have found that I make plenty of progress and discoveries about my training during these times and when returning. A lot of study can be done solo while visualizing a partner. It does not replace training with real partners, but is actually vital at various stages of practice.

Regards,

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 08-14-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote: View Post
A lot of study can be done solo while visualizing a partner. It does not replace training with real partners, but is actually vital at various stages of practice.

Regards,
Hi Tarik,
That's great how consistent your training has been! I certainly hold that as the highest ideal and with that in mind have regularly practiced in the way you describe above. I've found the visualization of a partner really helps me to consider how their whole body is moving, as opposed to fixating on the attacking part alone (which I tend to do). Still, as you say, it can't replace the feeling of what is happening with a partner on the mat. This last saturday when i trained i was noticing how less sensitive I was to the movements of my partner for just this reason.
Thanks for the reply!
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 08-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
Mike Hamer

Dojo: Shinki Rengo, Mt. Pleasant MI
United_States

I can whole heartedly relate to what your saying Matthew, sometimes it takes some time away from training to make you realize how much you really love it.

To speak ill of anything is against the nature of Aikido