Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
John Matsushima

United_States
What is correct maai?

Last night, I was practicing with a beginner and in the middle of a bokken kumitachi he asked me "What is the correct maai in Aikido?".
I never thought about maai in a general way like this before and never considered this question. So, I replied with "I don't know".
Since then, I have given this a lot of thought. I have thought that in the beginning of a conflict, the correct maai would be not to be within range of an immediate strike, or sucker punch, or takedown; at least more than 1 step from the attacker. However, during the conflict there are moments where I want to be in a position where I can hit him, but he can't hit me, and then there are times when I want to be right on top of uke, and times when I want him to go right by me.
I have heard or read many times that weapon practice is great for practicing correct maai, but what is correct maai?

-John Matsushima

My blog on Japanese culture
http://onecorneroftheplanetinjapan.blogspot.jp/
Old 07-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: What is correct maai?

Correct maai for what? As you stated, it tends to change.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Correct maai is generally a 'safe place'. So yes, in the middle of things, you have to continually adjust.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 07-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I remember once I was doing some kihon waza, and my instructor mentioned to me that my ma ai kept changing...far, near, far, near, thoughout the waza. At that particular time, for that particular waza, he said it should be the same throughout the waza...move to the appropriate distance, and maintain it thoughout the waza.

But that was kihon, empty hand, and one particular instance. I can't even remember now what waza it was!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 07-17-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
MM
United_States

I like to refer to the experts.

Maai by Diane Skoss
http://www.koryu.com/library/dskoss2.html
Old 07-18-2007, 04:48 AM   #6
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

I just read somewhere else:
"far for the enemy, near for me"
I guess, that describes nearly every situation.

best Regards

Dirk
Old 07-18-2007, 06:58 AM   #7
philippe willaume

United Kingdom

Hello
From what I understood, is the distance at which you can deliver the technique staying within your own space (or on posture/balanced what ever you chose to call that) and at which it is difficult or you opponent to counter (grab or strike efficiently).
Basically it varies with what you do (ie technique) and with weapons.
So I would say ma ai is the right distance for what we are doing.

The proper ma ai with the broken can not be the same as with open hand (other wise you would never touch each other). However you can transpose that distance to open hand.

If we take the fist boken awasai and its variation you can either cut the hand or the hand and then hand.
We both start in a bind (sword crossed) and we rise at the same, he cut and we counter cut him as a one time defence.
Obviously the distance from your opponent will vary but our ma ai stayed constant.
We remained at the same distance of our target be it the hand or the head

phil

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #8
Dewey
United_States

Quote:
John Matsushima wrote: View Post
I have heard or read many times that weapon practice is great for practicing correct maai, but what is correct maai?
Yes, it is. I actually wrote about this in another thread: http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=84. I freely admit that I'm no expert, just John Q. Aikidoka who's in the kyu-level. However, my limited experiences have taught me that maai is dynamic and an interpersonal interaction. It's not fixed or static...your attacker determines maai. The bokken helps the Aikidoka better visualize proper maai. It's a piece of wood, fine. If someone swings it hard enough, it can become a blunt weapon and shatter bones. Visualizing it as a live blade dramatically improves your maai drills...you don't want to get cut, do you? The same goes with dealing with a striker or a grappler. Your attacker wants to close the distance so he can strike or clinch and do a takedown...maai is not letting him close that distance. Yes, it works in real life...lots of Aikidoka have, and quite successfully. You just need training partners who are willing to make committed attacks (as in range of motion and realistic trajectory...not intensity). Also, maai and tai sabaki go hand in hand. Can't have one without the other.

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Correct maai for what? As you stated, it tends to change.
Exactly. It's dynamic and situation-dependent.

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
I like to refer to the experts.

Maai by Diane Skoss
http://www.koryu.com/library/dskoss2.html
Excellent article. Glad you posted the link!

Last edited by Dewey : 07-18-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:05 AM   #9
seank
Australia

I consider ma ai to be the range where with one step toward me an uke can actually make contact with me, and where with one step I can change that distance as nage.

In reality though, I would suggest ma ai is almost a state of mind, wherein you know that you are either beyond reach or in imminent danger of being hit. It is fluid and depends on the movement, position of uke and nage and also whether uke or nage has a weapon in their hand.

Something I have found useful for getting a feel for ma ai (unarmed) is the average of the height of yourself and uke as a horizontal distance between you. For example an uke of 180cms and and nage of 185cms would be a distance of 182.5cms. Mind you though, its not practical to consider this in a fighting context, but can be useful in basic training.

As related from the article above, it does depend on speed and timing as well.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Sean Kelleher wrote: View Post
Something I have found useful for getting a feel for ma ai (unarmed) is the average of the height of yourself and uke as a horizontal distance between you. For example an uke of 180cms and and nage of 185cms would be a distance of 182.5cms. Mind you though, its not practical to consider this in a fighting context, but can be useful in basic training.
I was shown a way to check initial maai that seems to work pretty well (most of the time... nothing is absolute).

While facing uke and looking at his chin/nose area you should just be able to see his feet with your peripheral vision. If you can't see his feet, you're too close. If you see a lot of floor in front of his feet, you're too far away. After a while the correct distance starts to happen more automatically.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 07-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Maai is also a natural function of proper Hanmi (Stance). In our Aikido Hanmi/Maai is with the toes pointed in towards the Uke and no more than shoulder width apart. Irimi is always a half step with the toes/angle of "entry" of the lead foot toes pointed in. This allows you to strike/control your Uke and protect yourself from harm at the same instant.

Shoji Nishio Shihan stated that our Hanmi/Maai was one important technical distinction between our Aikido and the Hombu/Iwama Style.

William Hazen
Old 07-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #12
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
This allows you to strike/control your Uke and protect yourself from harm at the same instant.
IOW, close enough to be effective while far enough to be safe?
I like that.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-21-2007, 06:46 AM   #13
kokyu
Hong Kong

I agree with the answers in this thread...

However, if you talk about maai just before practicing a technique, I've been taught 2 ways:

1) For empty-hand, tori and uke face each other and raise their hands (palm down) to shoulder level. The beginning maai would be the distance when tori and uke's fingers are just about to touch.

2) For weapons, it's the same concept... the distance where the tips of the bokken are just about to touch

Last edited by kokyu : 07-21-2007 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:57 AM   #14
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

You'll soon find out when you get zapped!!
Maai is dependent on size of weapon, size of person, the nature of the attack.
Tony
Old 07-21-2007, 01:09 PM   #15
Dewey
United_States

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
You'll soon find out when you get zapped!!
Maai is dependent on size of weapon, size of person, the nature of the attack.
Tony
Exactly! To use MMA terminology, maai can be considered a component of "aliveness" training in aikido. It's dynamic and changes with each encounter. Don't focus your sight and stare them in the eyes, but keep your vision wide and observe their whole body for posture, muscle-tensing, movement, etc.