Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #26
lbb
United_States
Re: Over 40's Classes?

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
It can help to remember that aikido is difficult. Period. Full stop. Struggling to learn it simply means that you are trying to do something hard, and doesn't have anything to do with age, underlying intelligence, non-Japaneseness, or any of the other ways that people make their struggles about themselves.
This (emphasis mine).
Old 12-31-2014, 06:06 PM   #27
Sojourner
Australia

I found this video, and it did make me think that age clearly is no barrier at all in any martial art if you are committed! - https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 12-31-2014, 06:12 PM   #28
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
You probably didn't notice the gray hair either. Doesn't mean it wasn't there.

(think for a second: this is obviously aimed at beginners, people STARTING after 40. People on aikiweb often need to take a deep breath and say, "Every post is not about me.")
Wha-wha-whattTT!

Ha. You are correct. Having some folks 45+, actually 60+ in my school, it sort of hit home immediately that the writer of the O/P probably was speaking of beginner classes. If you've already been "in" class for 5, 10 or 20 years, who would need it. You've acclimated. But a beginner at age 55.... different thing altogether.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #29
RED
United_States

Gee, I hope 40 isn't considered old. haha
Yeah, I've seen plenty of older guys tear it up just fine. But, alternatively, I've seen how hard it is for people who are older to start, especially ukemi, as new students. Conditioning is an interesting thing. My sports doctor said you either use it or lose it. I'm an optimist--I believe anything is possible at any age...somethings are just harder for some people. Whether or not that is unfair doesn't matter--it is reality. But it is possible. There is a blessing, in my opinion, in the possibility alone. (Even if it is never achieved.)

MM