Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #26
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium
Re: Training Frequency

Dear all,

obviously the more you train the better you get, but I think it depends very much on your personal skills and aptitude what you will get out of the training. In my dojo, we have four classes per week, and most aikidoka come only twice. Myself and two or three others come four times, and I don't see really a difference in our advancement; apparently we just need to put in more effort to achieve the same.

This said - it does not bother me very much, because I think if I train the double time, I also have double fun and more lessons to look forward to. If I also calculate karate lessons and aikido seminars, I'm doing martial arts between 6 and 10 hours per week, thus corresponding to a full working day, but that does not make me a master very quickly. I'm also an engineer, and if I work one day per week for 20 years, I'd certainly not become one of the best ones in my area of expertise

Paraphrasing Marx, everyone trains according to his needs, and everyone advances according to his capacities...

Best regards,

Eva
Old 03-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #27
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Eva Röben wrote: View Post
Dear all,

obviously the more you train the better you get, but I think it depends very much on your personal skills and aptitude what you will get out of the training. In my dojo, we have four classes per week, and most aikidoka come only twice. Myself and two or three others come four times, and I don't see really a difference in our advancement; apparently we just need to put in more effort to achieve the same.
Or maybe there's just a point of diminishing returns. I think that's true in general, whether or not it applies in your case specifically.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #28
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
For copying the basic outer form - maybe 2-3 times per week.

For actually training your body to do anything worthwhile - each and every day.

I usually do an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening, if there's no group training that day.

Best,

Chris
I keep thinking of posting, but really I'd just be repeating what Mr. Li wrote above. At our dojo we have daily classes. I've seen guys come more often than 3 days a week and they seem to kinda max out at that point. And it depends on how many hours each day. And it kinda depends on where you are in your training. Honestly, truly enjoy and cherish my time on the mat now, but I spend time each and every day doing things on my own to build up the stuff insides. But that's after a bunch of years training a lot. I was one of those guys that tended to come 3+ times a week when I first started, often for multiple hours each time. And I was anal enough to be doing things like our AIki taiso by myself in my empty office late at night when everyone was gone.

It's just going to depend on where you are and where you're planning on going...

Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #29
JCT53
Dojo: Just This Aikido

I train four days a week. One day, it's 1 1/2 hours, the other it's like 2 1/2 to three. on the weekend it's like two hours each class.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
Old 05-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #30
dps

Just as the living space of a house is defined by the spaces between the floors, walls and ceilings, and music is defined by the spaces between the notes, your Aikido is defined by the spaces between the visits to the dojo.

Time in the dojo is for instruction and correction. The spaces between visits to the dojo is for practicing.

dps
Old 04-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #31
zakariae abbad
Dojo: Dojo Aiki Fez
Morocco

Really interesting subject, I think that depends on every one objectif, for example if someone is just wanting to learn techniques for self defense or just maintaining hes physical condition, Ithink that 2-3 session per week is sufficient. But for those who wants to learn the spirit of the martial art and exceed themselves in the martial arts, I think that we are talking about "every day practice", and by the way that is what I found in all the books I read about Aikido (or any other martial art), the authors talk about "every day practice", and this is the way of all the martial artists who marked the history of martial arts.
So finally It's a matter of every one objectif.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #32
barron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai
Canada

"Practice does not make perfect, rather perfect practice makes perfect"

Andrew Barron
Old 04-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #33
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Japan

I recall a study, done on people who practiced piano, as to what resulted in the most success. The obvious answer would be the amount someone practices, but this turned out to not be the case.

The most successful people were the ones that practiced the music correctly the most times. It seems repeating mistakes many times made it harder to progress, as then the person had to unlearn the mistake as much as learn the correct way. I thought that there were strong parallels with Aikido.

It made a lot of sense to me, as I had a lot of issues with my techniques I had to fix. What was most effective in that included a lot of solo practice of movement, and the very slow practice of techniques with seniors to allow my body to learn the correct movement and feeling.

Naturally having something useful to say is like natural responses during training: It takes much practice.