Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-16-2001, 01:33 PM   #1
Erik
Suggestions for rubber knives and shinai

I just got myself wacked on the head with a tanto and in addition to an obvious solution like getting out of the way I'm going to add to my weapons case a piece of rubber and some bamboo. Any suggestions on where to get shinai and a rubber knife that doesn't flop around in an embarassing way?

Rather amazing thing too. I thought I was clear by plenty and the next thing I knew...BONK! Didn't hurt but it sure made a mess. Quite amazing how it bleeds so fast and with pressure stopped almost instantly. A few hours later, a bit of glue (isn't 3M amazing) and all appears well.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 06-16-2001, 08:01 PM   #2
guest1234
Eric,
glad to hear you survived and are on the mend...
I think BuJin has bamboo tanto. Not sure about your search for a non-floppy rubber knife---if it doesn't bend that easily, then it may do as much or more damage if you get bonked with it as with a wooden tanto, and it will probaly spear you like the real thing. I hope you have good insurance
Old 06-17-2001, 02:33 PM   #3
Erik
Quote:
Originally posted by ca
Eric,
glad to hear you survived and are on the mend...
I think BuJin has bamboo tanto. Not sure about your search for a non-floppy rubber knife---if it doesn't bend that easily, then it may do as much or more damage if you get bonked with it as with a wooden tanto, and it will probaly spear you like the real thing. I hope you have good insurance
It has a deductable.

I'd never noticed the bamboo tanto. That might have been enough to save me from myself. As I've been looking around I noticed that the knife folks generally use protection and probably better judgement. I'd say both of those were in short supply recently.
Old 06-18-2001, 08:34 PM   #4
TomCat
Dojo: American Society of Combat Martial Artists
Rubber Knives

I would also add that if a rubber knife is too ridgid, then it wouldn't offer much protection. I have had good luck makeing rubber knives from 3/8 inch thick plasticized PVC sheet stock. As long as the "weapon" is kept small, say the size of a Delica(TradeMark), it is not terribly floppy.
Tom
Old 06-20-2001, 04:15 PM   #5
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Re: Suggestions for rubber knives and shinai

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik
Any suggestions on where to get shinai and a rubber knife that doesn't flop around in an embarassing way?

How about one of the foam rubber tantos used in tanto-randori competition? To the eye of a traditional aikidoka, they probably look a bit silly, but it definitely wont hurt if you get hit with it. (A lot of the tsuki strikes in competitive randori hit the mark, so even a bamboo tanto would probably cause injury.)

I'm not too sure where you'd get one though. If you're based in the US, the JAA-USA could probably help you out:
www.tomiki.org

HTH
Sean