Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-14-2002, 07:26 PM   #1
Bob Heffner
United_States
Different styles of Aikido

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere before, and if so point me in the correct direction.
What is the difference between the different styles of Aikido? I'm currently enrolled in a Dojo that falls under the USAF. I checked out their web site and it dosen't really talk about what is taught. So if you can point me to a web site or book that will talk about the different styles I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Bob
Old 04-14-2002, 08:50 PM   #2
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: Different styles of Aikido

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Heffner
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere before, and if so point me in the correct direction.
What is the difference between the different styles of Aikido? I'm currently enrolled in a Dojo that falls under the USAF. I checked out their web site and it dosen't really talk about what is taught. So if you can point me to a web site or book that will talk about the different styles I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Bob
Try http://www.aikidofaq.com/ .

Styles have to be taken with a grain, or double handful, of salt. It's really about the specific person.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 04-14-2002, 08:52 PM   #3
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Different styles of Aikido

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Heffner

Thanks
Bob
It is way more complicated than that my friend. There are the recognized styles founded by the various uchi deshi, especially those that trained in the thirties. But there are also huge differences between teachers who are ostensbily associated by organization. You really need to spend a lot of time reading and perhaps watching a bunch of videos as well to get an idea of what the differences are. Certainly one could write a very long article about this and only have an outline.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 05-14-2002, 03:13 PM   #4
faramos
Dojo: University of Chicago Aikido Club
Style as a Tool

I would agree with Aikidoka Ledyard in that it is a bit more complicated in that with several different organizations comes several different schools of thought. Or as my sensei once put to to me- "If you go to 100 different dojos, you'll learn 100 different forms of tenkan." At the same time however, it's good to keep in mind that training is done so we can adapt to each form no matter how it is taught. In the minimal time I have done Aikido (ca 2 years) I have trained in around 7 different forms of aikido (USAF included), all of which I am thankful to have learned. The fundamental understanding I hold though, is that no matter the "style", if the willingness to train exists, then forms can only be a tool in helping us with Aikido to the best of our abilities. So in the end, Aikido can be more than just forms, it can be a way to view life and learning.

In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him, and in that I am his pupil.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-14-2002, 05:19 PM   #5
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Aikido Faq

If you are not satisfied with the variety of teachers who come to a seminar, I know there are a variety of people who come to Boston to seminars, let alone northeast summer camp, try looking at some clips in the Aikido FAQ.

I know that every Sensei does each technique a little different with minor variences, so if you have a video camera, it might be worth your while to catch a variety of people there. I know the different seminars I have taped for my club reveal details, when replayed, that I did not see originally.

There is a whole host of people in USAF that give seminars but each have a different feel when you get to be thrown or throw them ... so trying a few seminars will definitely be a beginning.

You didn't hear it from me, but most Aikido people have some kind of collection or video library, that would be a good source to view what you seek. Check around with your Aikido mates, someone will have something you might watch.

Other than training, getting a feel of what your teacher does, then getting the feel of other guest teachers, or seminar instructors ... get your foundation built, then you will have a gauge to measure and compare what others present.

If my health situation improves, I might take a spin up to Boston to do a seminar this year. Then you can annoy me personally during practice, which is always fun.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:33 PM   #6
Detective Dobbs
While in the Tokyo dojo I heard the current doshu say O` sensei created aikikai and therefore there is only one aikido,aikikai! Then again if you have ever trained in the honbu dojo,you would know it is not the best as many of the techniques taught are old style,not O`sensei`s and very rough.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:58 AM   #7
Ali B
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I recently had this discussion with my teacher, his answer was that none of the students were able to completely understand all of O senseiīs teachings. therefore they took away with them the parts which they did.

This is the reason that there are so many different styles, which are reflecting these issues.

At the end of the day, how many styles are there? - As many as there are people practicing Aikido.

If we were to practice together and your technique is better than mine, then I will use your technique and I hope vice versa.

I hope the purists donīt get too upset.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:15 AM   #8
Andy
Quote:
Originally posted by Detective Dobbs
While in the Tokyo dojo I heard the current doshu say O` sensei created aikikai and therefore there is only one aikido,aikikai!
If he actually said that, he's wrong.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:15 AM   #9
SeiserL

United_States
I have to agree that IMHO most styles sumply reflect the individual's interpretation and limitations of the waza. I have watched a lot of those tapes, read books, seen demonstrations, and been to seminars. The waza is basically the same. the emphasis and applications changes with the person and the situation.

Just relax, breathe, and enjoy the training.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!