Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
mastro
5th kyu question

Hi everybody this is my first post!! Today are my 5th kyu exams and i would to ask you if someone has a video or a detailed description about the kaitenage-soto-tenkan technique!! i would like to see some last min errors hope someone can help me!!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan
Re: 5th kyu question

Maybe try "soto kaiten nage" in youtube? Good luck!

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 07-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
lbb
United_States

Kaitenage soto-tenkan on a fifth kyu test?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
Mikemac

Dojo: Aikido World Alliance
United_States

Here's a video from a dojo that lists all the techniques for testing on their site. Maybe this is what you are looking for:

http://www.chushin.com/Video/5th/Kat...itennageTS.wmv

"Hey! You got your kotegaeshi in my peanut butter!"
Old 07-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
United_States

Hello Michael,

It appears that James Nakayama Sensei was performing "uchi" kaiten nage, not "soto". The "atemi" was omitted, so it may look confusing.

It still looks good enough to use for training purposes!

Yoroshiku ongegaishimasu.

Last edited by aikishihan : 07-15-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
mastro

thanks everybody!! i ll leave for the exams now!
i ll post the results, i ll try not to be nervous
Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
Mikemac

United_States

Quote:
Francis Takahashi wrote: View Post
Hello Michael,

It appears that James Nakayama Sensei was performing "uchi" kaiten nage, not "soto". The "atemi" was omitted, so it may look confusing.

It still looks good enough to use for training purposes!

Yoroshiku ongegaishimasu.
Yeah......I realize the slight differences between schools and techniques. Figured it might help though.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
My 5th kyu test included Kaiten nage uchi, soto, omote and ura versions as well as the first 4 bokken kata.

Mastro- I had looked on Utube for kaiten nage and I think I saw a few but they didn't quite match what my sensei was teaching. I mainly just asked someone in the dojo to let me practice on them lets of times with sensei watching and correcting me in between classes.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
mastro

Thanks everybody again!I passed my exams!! im 5th kyu now! Good luck to everybody and continue our progress!!
Old 07-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #10
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
United_States

Congratulations!

Now for that dreaded 4th kyu preparation, eh?

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #11
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Giorgos Mastrogiannis wrote: View Post
Thanks everybody again!I passed my exams!! im 5th kyu now! Good luck to everybody and continue our progress!!
Congratulations on your first milestone in the journey!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

congratulations.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
Mikemac

United_States

Way to go! Congratulations!!

Old 07-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #14
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Quote:
We did uchi and soto kaitenage on my 5th kyu test.

On another note:
CONGRATS ON PASSING YOUR TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #15
RED
United_States

Quote:
A lot of associations and non-affiliated dojo require kaitenage.
It wasn't on my 5th kyu test. Didn't see it until 3rd kyu.
But associations (like ASU) or what not, aren't always standardize for what is or not on a kyu test. (sometimes they are standardized in regions, but there is differences from north to south USA, or east to west USA. ) I've heard of an ASU school the requires a "simplistic" variation of about every named technique you can think of. (While the ASU kyu tests aren't always standardized, their black belt tests are more standardized. They can only be belted in the dan ranks by their shihan. However some non-affiliates have zero consistency, even within the same school, for both kyu and dan ranks...different strokes I guess.)

Anyways, Kaitenage soto is very common for a 5th kyu technique according to what I've gathered from conversations with Aikidoka who are non-affiliates of the USAF. USAF and some of her sister organizations are a novelty for not including it.

MM
Old 07-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #16
ninjaqutie

United_States

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
Anyways, Kaitenage soto is very common for a 5th kyu technique according to what I've gathered from conversations with Aikidoka who are non-affiliates of the USAF. USAF and some of her sister organizations are a novelty for not including it.
Yeah, we used to be with USAF-Western region, but now we are with Birankai. It is my understanding that we still follow their testing guidelines closely, but our sensei has some wiggle room to cut and or add techniques

~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:44 AM   #17
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Whatever. At that point I'd think you'd want people concentrating more on things like basic footwork, but what do I know?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #18
David Maidment
United Nations

Quote:
I've heard of an ASU school the requires a "simplistic" variation of about every named technique you can think of.
We have something like this. Most techniques are on most gradings (in some form or another). At each stage the idea is that you'll be able to see a vast improvement over previous gradings. A sizeable portion of our gokyu test is repeated in the nikyu test.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #19
RED
United_States

Quote:
Whatever. At that point I'd think you'd want people concentrating more on things like basic footwork, but what do I know?
Well I'm not going to criticize the testing standards of other federations. I'm sure they have very real reasons for what they do, and there are specific things their Shihan want out of their students.

MM
Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #20
ninjaqutie

United_States

Quote:
Mary, out of curiosity, what types of techniques are on the 5th kyu exam in your dojo? I don't need a full list or anything like that, but I would be interested in hearing more.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #21
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
Mary, out of curiosity, what types of techniques are on the 5th kyu exam in your dojo? I don't need a full list or anything like that, but I would be interested in hearing more.
Oh jeez, like I'm going to be able to remember that. Well, if you google, you can find out what the USAF requirements are -- they haven't changed much for fifth kyu since I tested, I don't think. The reason I'm not going to remember, though, is that our test is always "Whatever Sensei wants". I really don't recall what that was for my test, but I don't believe we had any of kaitenage/udenage for fifth kyu. That said, there was a kyu test last Saturday, and the one poor guy who was testing for fifth kind of got dragged along with the people testing for 4th, and there may have been a kaitenage or two involved...I really don't remember. What's always there is suwariwaza, typically ikkyo, nikkyo, sankyo, kotegaeshi, iriminage and maybe shihonage...same stuff standing...eh, I don't remember what all else. It's really not that many different techniques, just from different attacks, with different openings, standing, suwari waza, hanmi handachi.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #22
RED
United_States

Quote:
Oh jeez, like I'm going to be able to remember that. Well, if you google, you can find out what the USAF requirements are -- they haven't changed much for fifth kyu since I tested, I don't think. The reason I'm not going to remember, though, is that our test is always "Whatever Sensei wants". I really don't recall what that was for my test, but I don't believe we had any of kaitenage/udenage for fifth kyu. That said, there was a kyu test last Saturday, and the one poor guy who was testing for fifth kind of got dragged along with the people testing for 4th, and there may have been a kaitenage or two involved...I really don't remember. What's always there is suwariwaza, typically ikkyo, nikkyo, sankyo, kotegaeshi, iriminage and maybe shihonage...same stuff standing...eh, I don't remember what all else. It's really not that many different techniques, just from different attacks, with different openings, standing, suwari waza, hanmi handachi.
USAF doesn't introduce kaitenage until 3rd kyu. Suwariwaza at 4th, hamni handachi until 3rd.
The test technique requirements haven't changed since the 1980's.

MM
Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #23
lbb
United_States

Quote:
USAF doesn't introduce kaitenage until 3rd kyu. Suwariwaza at 4th, hamni handachi until 3rd.
The test technique requirements haven't changed since the 1980's.
As I explained in the text that you quoted, Maggie, "our test is always "Whatever Sensei wants".".
Old 07-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #24
RED
United_States

Quote:
As I explained in the text that you quoted, Maggie, "our test is always "Whatever Sensei wants".".
Does he adhere to at least the minimal requirements in addition to "whatever he wants"?

MM
Old 07-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #25
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Does he adhere to at least the minimal requirements in addition to "whatever he wants"?
Yes. Are you satisfied now that you've done your due diligence?