Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-08-2003, 05:25 PM   #1
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: ccdbc9d0
Anonymous User
Whose watching?

I discvoered that my sensei lurks at this website quite often though doesn't post
(at least not under name)

do you lurk here to check on your students?

no need to id yourself; who is watching?

why don't you chime in?
Old 07-08-2003, 05:35 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

I'm not an instructor, but find it interesting that you ascribe motives so easily, assuming an instructor lurks in order to "check on" his or her own students, as if most folks don't have enough to do. Certainly there are plenty of other reasons for perusing the site!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-08-2003, 06:01 PM   #3
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
I've had good reason to be paranoid.

I get involved in a point of discussion on some technical term and within a few weeks its covered in class.

Spooky.

If you right something that your teachers would be embarrased to see - don't right it. Or post in the anonymous forum.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 07-09-2003, 03:42 AM   #4
Daniel Mills

Dojo: Kokyu Aikido Association.
I've recently learned that the same is true for my Senseis, and have noted one of our Shodans has signed up in the past few days but has yet to post.

After a quick panic, I realised I'd posted nothing to panic about other than the fact I'd kept my Gi paranoia between myself and a few closer friends in the dojo , and look forward to being able to cover topics from here, in sessions, and also vice versa.

Old 07-09-2003, 07:20 AM   #5
JimAde
Quote:
Daniel Mills wrote:
After a quick panic, I realised I'd posted nothing to panic about other than the fact I'd kept my Gi paranoia between myself and a few closer friends in the dojo
Gi paranoia? That's a phrase I haven't heard before. Can you explain, please

Remember: No matter where you go...There you are.
-Buckaroo Banzai
Old 07-09-2003, 07:24 AM   #6
Daniel Mills

Dojo: Kokyu Aikido Association.
Hi Jim,

I only started training three months ago, and weigh pushing 400lbs, so finding a Gi that I was comfortable in/with proved an effort.

The day I got my Gi and wore it awhile was a less than fun day as my insecurities got the better of me, and I had a quick panic and so forth. A little embarassing in retrospect

Best,

-Daniel.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:25 AM   #7
mj
I also know that my sensei reads these forums but (afaik) never posts.

And may I add what a wonderful sensei he is

Old 07-09-2003, 08:39 AM   #8
Veers

Dojo: Shinkikan Aikikai Aikido of Corpus Christi
My sensei checks this site rarely... And if anyone remembers Jorge Garcia (from my big stink thread about Premu and the OKF and stuff), his son attends our dojo.

But big deal...I have nothing to hide...well, I guess my aikido journal might have a few gripes...but oh well.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:59 AM   #9
JimAde
Thanks for the explanation, Daniel. I thought I was missing a whole new Martial Arts/Psychology crossover

I pictured somebody in the changing room screaming at the wall "Who's been messing with my gi? I know it was you, Elvis!!!"

Remember: No matter where you go...There you are.
-Buckaroo Banzai
Old 07-09-2003, 09:32 AM   #10
Kevin Wilbanks
I'm of the opinion that one should generally express oneself as honestly as possible, and let the chips fall where they may. If you think it or believe it, why not put it out there and own up to the consequences of it? I guess the exception would be expressions that are pointlessly insulting and of no public interest (i.e., "I think you're ugly", etc...) In general, I've found that it's not a formula for maximum popularity, but I always sleep well and never waste time/energy on regrets or stewing in repression.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:05 AM   #11
JMCavazos
Dojo: Aikido Center of South Texas
United_States
Lurking is such an ugly word!

I am an instructor, & I enjoy reading what others write. I don't post very often. I often mention to my students about this forum. I haven't seen any postings from them, but if they did -- it's OK. Sometimes an instructor may find that he/she is not explaining something as good as could be explained.

I don't think that this forum is good place to post a question about technique. It is a great place to meet & speak with folks that have the same interests that you do. It can also help others that are looking for a place, like Jonathan who was looking for a place to train a few months ago.

My instructor "lurks" here so often, and I think that there is insight to me by what I post and the manner in which it is posted.

Anyway, don't be paranoid about talking with friends.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:22 AM   #12
Veers

Dojo: Shinkikan Aikikai Aikido of Corpus Christi
Quote:
It can also help others that are looking for a place, like Jonathan who was looking for a place to train a few months ago.
*gasp* I guess that answers the topic question for me.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:11 PM   #13
"Unregistered"
Anonymous User
ah, this is in an invitation for those instructors who do lurk and don't post to post here anonymously .. just to confirm that yeah, someone's watching.

come on, you know who you are..
Old 07-09-2003, 03:42 PM   #14
akiy

Quote:
ah, this is in an invitation for those instructors who do lurk and don't post to post here anonymously .. just to confirm that yeah, someone's watching.

come on, you know who you are..
Invitation? Sounds more like a challenge or some sort of weird guilt trip.

Do you really consider posting onto a public site on the Internet and having people, even your instructors, read what you wrote to be surreptitiously "watching" or "checking" -- as though they're peeping through binoculars from within some bushes? I don't see anything wrong with people, even (or, heck, especially) instructors who read public thoughts expressed by someone they know.

I, for one, take it to be a given that there'll be people I personally know who read what I write here. Heck, I take it as a given that there'll be a bunch of people whom I personally know who is reading this who aren't active posters here. And so it goes; that's the nature of posting in a public forum within a relatively small community as that of aikido.

In any case, I'll just say, for the purpose of clarifying the purpose of these Forums, that everyone regardless of whether they know anyone else here in these Forums is welcome to come here for the sole purpose of reading; participating, although very much encouraged and welcome, is not necessary. Read away!

In closing, a question to the Anonymous User who started this thread. I take it that you usually post with your account. What kind of issues do you personally have with your instructor reading your posts here? And why? Are there many unresolved issues between you and your instructor?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-10-2003, 01:03 PM   #15
"Unregistered"
Anonymous User
Ok, not to be taken to seriously, my hope was to see if any of the silent instructors would perform a "cyber wink" , because some people don't post because they don't want to discourage newer folks.

of course I always assume that what I post will be read. I don't always think before I hit "Submit" so I admit to having foot in mouth disease.

issues with my instructors? none so far, and I hope it stays that way. i belive it's understood that I'm not a spokesperson for them or for the dojo.

this thread is pure impudence by the way..

no offense meant, but i hope it reminds people that what is posted here is in fact read.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:08 PM   #16
"Unregistered"
Anonymous User
oh and one other thing; I know my instructors read posts here, by keeping my identity secret I was making this more of a global case.

ok no more misuse of the "touchy" forum
Old 07-11-2003, 01:59 AM   #17
Hanna B
Sweden
Some people I train with have found me on the web boards, and told me so. Some have not said anything.

Although it clearly is the rules of the game that anybody can read, I do find those people more honest who tell me to my face that they read my rants. If I found out that my teacher had been reading my posts for years and never said a word, I would certainly wonder why.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:39 AM   #18
justinm
United Kingdom
You mean - someone i know might read this?

I had better logoff and come back in anonymously!!

Yikes!

Justin. I mean 'A Person'

Justin McCarthy