Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-09-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
CarlRylander
The 'Glow' around Ueshiba.

The thing is, he doesn't have one!

Not as much as Kennedy, or Gandhi, or other figures.

I'd still like to have met him, though.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: The 'Glow' around Ueshiba.

Pedestals are for falling off of.....

Ordinary men often accomplish extraordinary things. But in the end they are all still just people like you and I. Sometimes meeting someone in person can break the illusions one creates for themselves that said person is beyond ordinary.

Maybe meeting Ueshiba would have been an amazing experience... maybe meeting him would break the illusion.....and then where would you be?

The man gave us a wonderful martial art and for that I appreciate and respect him. But in the end he was only a man. As were the others you mentioned. Far from perfect, just doing what we all should be trying to accomplish. Live life in such a way as to hopefully make their one little corner of the world a little bit better place.

Last edited by Shadowfax : 11-09-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
RED
United_States

I glow... ^_^
Old 11-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Carl Rylander wrote: View Post
The thing is, he doesn't have one!

Not as much as Kennedy, or Gandhi, or other figures.

I'd still like to have met him, though.
glowing folks can't be healthy. just think about the radiation and cancer and stuffs like that. i'd stay away from folks like that.

if you met him and he said "what the f@#$!#$ are you doing? that's not aikido!" what then? rather not meet him at all, that way i can be comfortable with my aikido!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
MM
United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
if you met him and he said "what the f@#$!#$ are you doing? that's not aikido!" what then? rather not meet him at all, that way i can be comfortable with my aikido!
It's okay. That actually happened and everyone just rationalized the old man away. You can still be comfortable in your "aikido".
Old 11-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
RED
United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
glowing folks can't be healthy. just think about the radiation and cancer and stuffs like that. i'd stay away from folks like that.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

So he is The Last Dragon?

Or maybe the Shogun of Harlem?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Scott Stahurski

United_States

I glowed when I was born....cause my mom stood to close to the microwave when she was pregnant with me.

Truly if someone is glowing it means that swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.....

No really if someone is glowing tell them to stop, drop, and roll....and fire bokken isnt really an aikido technique or practice...no matter how fun it sounds

Maggie, if you are glowing maybe you should take a pregnancy test...I here pregnant women glow.

Charley Murphy once said that Rick James had a purple aura....I dont know about this....must of been some super freak lighting.

but if you truly see someone glow then tell them to sit down they are in front of the movie screen...
Old 11-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
Shadowfax

United_States

Quote:
and fire bokken isnt really an aikido technique or practice...no matter how fun it sounds
Awww shucks... and I was really looking forward to that class too.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
David Board
Dojo: Aikido of Reno
United_States

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
I glow... ^_^
And you call yourself a lady.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:08 AM   #11
CarlRylander

He does have some presence. Perhaps it's linked to your ego, too!
Old 11-10-2009, 06:31 AM   #12
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Chem sticks.

You can crack them open, rub them all over yourself, they are non-toxic and you can go back to being normal the next day.

It would be cool to cover yourself in chemstick, cut the lights out and have everyone doing aikido...that would be cool.

Ueshiba would probably dig it too!

Old 11-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #13
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

The "Glow" is a rice,kelp and fish fart..
Old 11-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #14
Mark Peckett
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of Great Britain
United Kingdom

Kennedy glowed for Marilyn and the "advisers" he sent to Vietnam.
Towards the end of his life Gandhi slept with young girls - admittedly to test his resistance to sexual desire.

Terry Dobson describes O'Sensei as both a spiritual man and also a man who could be angry and capricious, but he loved him in spite of that.

People on this earth have all the usual faults and failings of this earth - and our biggest failing is that we're not able to forgive them when they fall off the pedestal.

Of course if we didn't put human beings on pedestals in the first place they wouldn't fall - so if Ueshiba didn't glow perhaps that's a good thing; it means he can't be extinguished.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #15
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Pedestals are for falling off of.....

Ordinary men often accomplish extraordinary things. But in the end they are all still just people like you and I. Sometimes meeting someone in person can break the illusions one creates for themselves that said person is beyond ordinary.
I completely disagree... There are extraordinary people and ordinary people very seldom accomplish much that is extraordinary except when put under exceptional pressures, then who knows...

A man like O-Sensei is not like you and me. This man had huge vision, tremendous personal power, exceptional creativity, and an indomitable will. Everyone who met him was affected by him.

Our tendency these days to knock all of our heroes off their pedestals is an attempt by ordinary people to not feel so bad about their own lack of accomplishment.

Sure, Thomas Jefferson had slaves... product of the times. Did he have a slave as a mistress? Yes, he did. Do we feel good about that? No, we've evolved in our values system. But the idea that these things make Jefferson ordinary, just like the rest of us? Simply not the case. He was and will remain a "great man" who helped change history. Flawed, like all human beings, sure. But still an extraordinary person.

This whole "we're all the same" may be true in some cosmic sense but in our every day reference it simply isn't true. There are people who accomplish great things and people who will come and go leaving no sign that they were ever on this earth. There will be people who pass away leaving everyone they ever came into contact with feeling better than they had been and there are people who seem to leave nothing but wreckage in their wakes.

Mother Teresa probably had some character flaws. That does not in any way negate what she did with her life and the good that she accomplished. Hitler was quite popular with women and babies. Doesn't change the fact that he was a monster.

So deconstructing O-Sensei, while a popular pastime these days, is most often done by people who didn't know him, train with him, live with him. The people who did, in no way felt he was "ordinary" in any sense. The latest flavor of the month idea is that O-Sensei is one of the most famous martial artists of his century due to good marketing. Talk to the folks who knew him and trained with him. Not a one of them thought he was ordinary. He was certainly not ordinary in the sense that he was some how like we are...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #16
MM
United_States

Thanks George, that was a great post.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #17
Shadowfax

United_States

Quote:
A man like O-Sensei is not like you and me.
This man had huge vision, tremendous personal power, exceptional creativity, and an indomitable will. Everyone who met him was affected by him.

Our tendency these days to knock all of our heroes off their pedestals is an attempt by ordinary people to not feel so bad about their own lack of accomplishment.
actually... I'm just kinda tired of climbing off the silly things.

I am far from ordinary.

I am not saying O'sensei was ordinary.

I guess what I am saying that just because someone accomplishes such things is no reason to treat them as if they were better or god like. Ordinary people can glow too.

Last edited by Shadowfax : 11-10-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #18
jason jordan

Dojo: Dallas Aikikai/ Southlake Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post
So he is The Last Dragon?

Or maybe the Shogun of Harlem?
Wait? Who's the master???????? I am!!!!!
Que my theme music (you've got that glow)

lol j/k
Classic Low Budget Film.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #19
David Board
Dojo: Aikido of Reno
United_States

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
I completely disagree... There are extraordinary people and ordinary people very seldom accomplish much that is extraordinary except when put under exceptional pressures, then who knows...

A man like O-Sensei is not like you and me. This man had huge vision, tremendous personal power, exceptional creativity, and an indomitable will. Everyone who met him was affected by him.

While I agree whole heatedly that knocking heroes off pedestals is a task that is not one with much value. The mistake was to put them on a pedestal in the first place. Dais perhaps but not a pedestal. A dais has steps that allow us to join them if we are willing to make the climb. The only way to reach someone on a pedestal is to knock the pedestal over. There is nothing wrong with raising someone above the rest of us as one to admire follow and emulate but if we don't acknowledge their accomplishments as achievable by ourselves than their lives become nothing more than art to admire and not art to achieve. The steps maybe be slippery, they maybe steep and We may never reach the pinnacle but it seems that we should try to make the climb.

If we make our heroes gods than their achievements are beyond us. If we recognize the divinity within every man than everyman has potential.

[Your white belt Shihan pomposity for the day, my apologies.]
Old 11-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #20
Shadowfax

United_States

Quote:
If we make our heroes gods than their achievements are beyond us. If we recognize the divinity within every man than everyman has potential.
You are so much better at saying that than I am.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #21
Franklin Newby

Dojo: Tulsa Aikido Club
United_States

Quote:
David Board wrote: View Post
While I agree whole heatedly that knocking heroes off pedestals is a task that is not one with much value. The mistake was to put them on a pedestal in the first place. Dais perhaps but not a pedestal. A dais has steps that allow us to join them if we are willing to make the climb. The only way to reach someone on a pedestal is to knock the pedestal over. There is nothing wrong with raising someone above the rest of us as one to admire follow and emulate but if we don't acknowledge their accomplishments as achievable by ourselves than their lives become nothing more than art to admire and not art to achieve. The steps maybe be slippery, they maybe steep and We may never reach the pinnacle but it seems that we should try to make the climb.

Fantastic comment!

Old 11-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #22
RED
United_States

Quote:
David Board wrote: View Post
And you call yourself a lady.
never...
Old 11-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #23
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

Maybe we should ask Chuck Norris, " What's up with this? " ..
Old 11-11-2009, 05:49 AM   #24
CarlRylander

I have a kind of glow around me.

When I walk into a room, I light it up and everyone wants to make love to me.

That's because I'm a mega-being.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #25
RED
United_States

Quote:
Carl Rylander wrote: View Post
I have a kind of glow around me.

When I walk into a room, I light it up and everyone wants to make love to me.

That's because I'm a mega-being.
I thought it was just the jondus...