Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Krystal Locke
United_States
Name that uke, round two....

The uke who has less hair takes some interesting falls....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PQCQV1krY&feature=plcp
Old 11-29-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
Richard Stevens
United_States
Re: Name that uke, round two....

I love watching Isoyama demos.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

I watched this with a judo buddy who just cackled at how bad Isoyama's KATA GURUMA is.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Carl Thompson

Japan

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote: View Post
I watched this with a judo buddy who just cackled at how bad Isoyama's KATA GURUMA is.
Could you elaborate?

Regards

Carl
Old 11-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
James Sawers

Dojo: Oak Park Aikikai, IL
United_States

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote: View Post
Well, in the style of aikido I practice, if we are referring to the same technique, we would not call that kataguruma. That looks more like a body slam, though I'm sure, there is a more elegant Japanese name for it.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
James Sawers wrote: View Post
Well, in the style of aikido I practice, if we are referring to the same technique, we would not call that kataguruma. That looks more like a body slam, though I'm sure, there is a more elegant Japanese name for it.
Dear James,
Isoyama Sensei is doing both Kata[Shoulder]Guruma [Wheel] and and a body slam from a shoulder height postion.In Kata guruma the body of uke should travel in an arc like circular motion,In this demo clearly Isoyama Sensei dumps his uke on occasion onto the tatami.Cheers.Joe.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
James Sawers

United_States

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear James,
Isoyama Sensei is doing both Kata[Shoulder]Guruma [Wheel] and and a body slam from a shoulder height postion.In Kata guruma the body of uke should travel in an arc like circular motion,In this demo clearly Isoyama Sensei dumps his uke on occasion onto the tatami.Cheers.Joe.
Thanks, Joe, but I still don't see the technique I am used to, though, of course, I'll take your expertise as a given.

The kataguruma I am used to involves taking uke from behind, grasping his collar, bending nages knees, then coming up (sometimes with an assist to uke with the other, free hand) and rolling uke over nage's shoulders. I hope this explanation makes sense? When it was done to me, I rolled over nage's shoulders and landed, light as a feather, on my feet. A truly joyful experience - not a slam in sight.

Jim.....
Old 11-30-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
The kataguruma I am used to involves taking uke from behind, grasping his collar, bending nages knees, then coming up (sometimes with an assist to uke with the other, free hand) and rolling uke over nage's shoulders.
Your description reminds me of ganseki otoshi?

This is instructional to what is called kata guruma in my context.

Last edited by Carsten Möllering : 11-30-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Thanks, Joe, but I still don't see the technique I am used to, though, of course, I'll take your expertise as a given.

The kataguruma I am used to involves taking uke from behind, grasping his collar, bending nages knees, then coming up (sometimes with an assist to uke with the other, free hand) and rolling uke over nage's shoulders. I hope this explanation makes sense? When it was done to me, I rolled over nage's shoulders and landed, light as a feather, on my feet. A truly joyful experience - not a slam in sight.

Jim.....
Dear James,
Without seeing the mover you are describiong I cannot ascertain exactly what it is,If you as Tori are goingg behind uke, grasping his/her collar from the rear , loweriong you postuure and bringing uke over the top of you shoulders,this appears to be a movement described in one of Saito
Sensei 5 vol. set of books.Cannot recall vol/pafe no, but I think it is a variation of irimi nage.If i get a chance[very busy right now]-getting ready for attendance at a course our area, I will check it iut.
If you want to see Kata Guruma, try and locate Wolfgang Hoffmann[ Senseia German judoka] on You Tube].I believe he was pretty good at this waza.Oldfootage of Hoffman Sensei may be available. Cheers, Joe
Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
Hi Carsten,
My reply to James was I knew the waza but forgot the name.Ganseki otoshi /Rice bale drop? not irimi nage, is the waza in Saito Sensei book. By the way my index finger on keyboard is acting like the a dsiembodied digit akin to the Beast with 5 Fingers[Peter Lorre movie madness] or the Hands of Orloff.My typing is naff[rubbish] Cheers, Joe.
-
Old 11-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
James Sawers

United_States

Yes, ganseki otoshi looks like what I mean. In the book, The Heart of Aikido, by O'Sensei, there is a photo, in the photo section of the book, of kataguruma, that looks like the start of what Carsten's video is calling ganseki otoshi. Different names, I guess.....

Last edited by James Sawers : 11-30-2012 at 03:39 PM.