Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-30-2003, 10:45 PM   #1
akiy

Any Problems?

Hi folks,

I just wanted to poll the people here to see if anyone is having any problems accessing the Forums.

I'm especially interested in people who are browsing with a Japanese operating system. For these people, can you still view the postings in the Japanese language forum?

Is anyone seeing the main page of the Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums) "stuck" on a past date without any of the threads being updated?

I've received a piece of communication with one person who is having problems accessing the Forums since the server downtime earlier this month. I just wanted to see if anyone else was having any of the above kind of problems.

Thanks!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-30-2003, 11:06 PM   #2
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Hi Jun,

The kanji is coming across as junk for me. I have the Japanese language plugins and can view the characters on other sites.

... /sm
Old 01-31-2003, 12:44 AM   #3
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
Is anyone seeing the main page of the Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums) "stuck" on a past date without any of the threads being updated?
Sometimes, but I can always fix it by logging in. It usually only happens after I've actually shut my computer down. I think I've got it set to delete all cookies at shutdown, which is probably why.

Although now that you mentioned it and I just looked it was stuck on the wrong time and there were no "login" boxes at the bottom of the page like there usually are.

Thanks for taking the time.

Bronson

p.s. Ditto on the kanji coming through as gobbledeegook thing.

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-31-2003, 01:31 AM   #4
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Once in awhile, I can't get in at all...

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:16 AM   #5
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Dear Jun,

I have a western operating system.

Before the serverupgrade my webbrowser (opera) recognized the japanese characters automaticaly. Now I have to specificly tell the browser to use shift-JIS or he wont display it.

I tried IE 5.5, and that displays the japanese characters corectly but the browser freezes up 3 out of 4 times in the Japanese language section.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 01-31-2003, 10:35 AM   #6
akiy

Hi everyone,

Thanks for people's feedback so far. It helps.

Quick test. Can people see the familiar kanji characters on the following page without needing to twiddle with your browser settings, or does it still show non-recognizable gobbledeegook?

http://www.aikiweb.com/tmp/aikido.html

Thanks,

-- Jun

Old 01-31-2003, 01:21 PM   #7
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
looks good to me...

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 02-03-2003, 01:45 AM   #8
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
Can people see the familiar kanji characters
Yup

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 02-03-2003, 12:49 PM   #9
Doug Mathieu
Dojo: Aikido Bozankan
Hi

Just today as I used the navigate buttons on IE when I click back it goes to an older home page rather than the current one.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:51 PM   #10
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:
Quick test. Can people see the familiar kanji characters on the following page without needing to twiddle with your browser settings, or does it still show non-recognizable gobbledeegook?

I can read them fine, but for some reason the 'ki' is twice as big as the other two kanji. I'm running Opera 6.03 under Linux.

It looks just fine in Konqueror and Mozilla.

Sean

x
Old 02-03-2003, 07:18 PM   #11
Brad McMillan
Dojo: New England Aikikai
Using Windows XP and IE 6.0 it looks fine.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:48 PM   #12
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Quote:
Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for people's feedback so far. It helps.

Thanks,

-- Jun
Looks good here ...
Old 02-10-2003, 03:45 PM   #13
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Problem responding to posts

Hello, Jun. I am experienceing problems posting responses to the forums.

I type a response, but I keep getting "no website found" error messages. I also notice the new pages slow in loading.

I'd think it was on my end, but I've tried it from two separate locations, now.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:44 PM   #14
akiy

Hi Neil,

I've been playing around with a couple of different routers on the system for the past few days. Please let me know if you encounter any further "no website found" or somesuch errors...

Thanks,

-- Jun

Old 02-12-2003, 07:07 AM   #15
suebailey
England
hi ive had no probs every thing good in sunderland/ england on my end.

r u having probs akiy?

with out the heart there can be no understanding between body and mind and if u have never linked ur self to true emptiness you will never comprehend the full dimension of aikido.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:30 AM   #16
Erik Young
Dojo: Wilmington Kokikai Dojo
I had terrible problems two days ago (Monday 2/10/03). Sometimes the page would loard fine...about half the time I'd get page not found errors...hit the refresh button a few times and then the page would load. THings have been fine Yesterday adn today though.

Peace,

Erik

HAve you heard the one about the agnostic dyslexic? He wasn't sure if he believed in the existence of Dog.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:32 AM   #17
akiy

Hi Sue, Erik, everyone else,

Thanks for your feedback! The router I was using over the weekend and on Monday or so was, indeed, a bit flaky. I went and swapped it out with the one I was using at home and it seems things are working well so far. Please let me know if anyone encounters glitches and/or such...

I just realized early this morning before I went to bed that the Japanese forum wasn't working. That's been fixed. The Japanese forum should now automatically set your browser to its Japanese-SJIS encoding. I believe it'll make it easier for those people with Japanese enabled browsers to browse and post to that forum. Please be sure to check it out and let me know if you encounter any problems there.

Thanks, everyone.

-- Jun

Old 02-12-2003, 01:07 PM   #18
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
No more problems on this end, Jun. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2003, 08:12 PM   #19
DCP

Dojo: Inaka Dojo
When going into recent posts from the main page and then hitting the "back" button to return to the mainpage, I go back to a dated mainpage. If I hit "refresh," I go to the current mainpage. Not sure if you need to know about this, just thought I'd let you know . . .

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
Old 02-12-2003, 08:27 PM   #20
akiy

Hi Daniel,

By "dated," do you mean one that's a couple of weeks old?

If you could try clearing out your cache in your browser (including all "offline" content) and let me know if that helped, I'd appreciate it. I don't know what kind of browser you have, but in Mozilla (which I use), it's the button labeled "Clear Disk Cache" in the Advanced/Cache section of the Preferences. In IE, it looks like it's in the Internet Options (under Tools) and the button is "Delete Files".

Doing this should get rid of any copies of the pages that your browser may have on your hard drive. Rebooting after doing this might also help as well...

-- Jun

Old 02-15-2003, 03:26 PM   #21
Jonathan Lewis
Hi Jun,

Here's an odd one...

Every once in while a forum page will show up in my browser as source code. That is, I see it just as it would look in notepad, starting with the first comment tag and ending with the closing html tag.

The strange thing is, when I look at the actual source code, it shows up exactly as what I see in the browser, and I don't see any coding errors in it. There is no reason for it not to read correctly as far as I can tell.

After I refresh, it always reads correctly (so far).

This does not happen with any other websites. This has happened on two seperate computers, One running IE 5.x on Windows NT, the other runing IE 6.0.2 on Windows 98 SE. I doubt that this is even worth looking into since it is rare, but it's a curiosity.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:24 PM   #22
akiy

Hi Jonathan,

How totally odd! Has anyone else seen the problem Jonathan is describing?

Thanks for the report.

-- Jun

Old 02-15-2003, 05:58 PM   #23
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Hello Jun,

Since it was I who had the original problems with Japanese after the crash, I post this for the benefit of other users of Japanese.

I subscribe to 4 or 5 different web forums and each one has different capabilities. I am moderator of the IAF site, and know that this site cannot handle Japanese at all. It is not yet set up to do so. Neither is the Aikido Journal, for someone like myself, with Japanese language OS and software. E-budo is set up to handle Japanese and the language settings on my own computer are always set to Japanese.

I access all these sites via MS Explorer, as I once did with AikiWeb. However, on all four of my computers the start pages of AikiWeb (home and forums) are stuck at a certain date and always appear, even after logging out, clearing cookies, restarting etc. And Japanese appears as gobbledy-gook.

My solution is simple: I no longer use Explorer with AikiWeb. Nestscape 7 is fine, which is what I am using now. 日本語を入れても良い。

Probably there is a complex lack of synch. between the version of Explorer I use and the OS, which is Mac OS X (10.2.4), in Japanese. I am waiting for Apple to produce a Japanese version of its own browser, which I will then use.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury
Old 02-17-2003, 05:05 PM   #24
Jonathan Lewis
Mystery probably solved.

Hi Jun,

It seems that my problem is an IE problem. It's happened a few more times, and still only on this site, but I have a probable explanation for it now.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think it only happens when I use the browser's back button. I use the back button much more on this site than any other, so it's more likley to happen here than anyplace else.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:08 PM   #25
akiy

Hi Jonathan,

Sounds like you need to "upgrade" to Mozilla (which is my browser of choice)...

-- Jun