Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-01-2002, 11:01 PM   #1
pointy
Dojo: aikido of park slope
dojo-itis?

every year around this time i get either a cold or the flu, along with many others in our dojo.

this must happen in other schools too, right?
Old 11-02-2002, 12:44 AM   #2
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Yep: I'm suffering through a flu, right now...missing part of a seminar of Anno Sensei
Old 11-02-2002, 03:42 AM   #3
mike lee
24-7

Quote:
every year around this time i get either a cold or the flu, along with many others in our dojo.
My students always get sick — I never get sick, despite the fact that I'm double their age. Maybe it's because I don't have the luxury.

Old 11-02-2002, 10:42 AM   #4
Deb Fisher
Wash your hands before and after training and suggest that others do the same.

On a tangent, my dojo has lots of antibacterial soap, antibacterial gel hanging around, and man, this stuff is a biological nightmare! I totally understand the point - you don't want to get sick because of training and we only recently moved into a place with a handy sink...

But this does not diminish the fact that overuse of antibiotics is a huge problem. It creates antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria, it weakens our immune systems, it kills indiscriminately, ridding our bodies of "good" bacteria along with the bad.

Handwashing works - I never use that antibiotic stuff and I have never gotten sick because of the dojo. Sorry about the rant, back to regularly scheduled programming.

Deb Fisher
Old 11-04-2002, 06:57 AM   #5
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Quote:
Deb Fisher wrote:
Wash your hands before and after training and suggest that others do the same.

On a tangent, my dojo has lots of antibacterial soap, antibacterial gel hanging around, and man, this stuff is a biological nightmare! I totally understand the point - you don't want to get sick because of training and we only recently moved into a place with a handy sink...

But this does not diminish the fact that overuse of antibiotics is a huge problem. It creates antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria, it weakens our immune systems, it kills indiscriminately, ridding our bodies of "good" bacteria along with the bad.

Handwashing works - I never use that antibiotic stuff and I have never gotten sick because of the dojo. Sorry about the rant, back to regularly scheduled programming.
Yep, we are back to the basic form of paranoia.

Using anti-bacterial soaps and gels may seem to have some advantages it also has some major drawbacks worth considering.
[list=1]
[*]For these products to work you really have to use them right, meaning that washing your hands would be transformed into the scrubbing surgeons (sp?) do before any operation.
[*]Anti bacterial soap and anti biotics are, as there name suggests, effective against bacteria. Unfortunately not all pathogenes are bacteria. Especially in the cold/flu epidemics it is virusses that are at work. Virusses are not killed by antibiotics and are due to there size also much harder to wash away.
[*]Modern research evidence seems to imply that living very clean is not as healthy as a lot of people think it is. Clean children seem to have a worse imunesystem and develop more allergies.The old proverb "What doesnt kill you will make you stronger" seems in this respect to hold some truth. Of course being ill isnt nice but being paranoia about diseases and trying to avoid them at all costs might in the long run be counter productive.
[/list=1]

Of course the overuse of antibiotics is a huge problem, as is the improper use. This of course also holds for anti-virals.Still the best way to stay healthy is to do healthy things: Have a good diet, exercise etc. Take care of your body and your imunesystem!!!!!
Oh and dont forget to teach people not to come to the dojo when they are not feeling well. That can do miracles as well.

Last edited by erikmenzel : 11-04-2002 at 07:00 AM.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 11-04-2002, 07:35 AM   #6
mike lee
Talking finger-licking good

I like to pick up a little dirt, spit on my hands and then lick my fingers! I learned this unique form of hygiene from American baseball players.

Seriously. Other tips:

Avoid highly populated, enclosed areas if possible.

Keep head, hands and feet warm when outside.

Keep chest and throat covered when outside.

Take vigourous walks outdoors.

Take multiple vitamins daily.

Drink more orange juice.

Get sufficient rest.

Maintain a positive outlook.

(These are my "secrets." Please don't tell anyone!)
Old 11-04-2002, 09:03 AM   #7
akiy

Yokota sensei at Aikikai Hombu dojo told us to make sure to gargle after every class...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 11-05-2002, 01:46 PM   #8
MattRice
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
my brother's a chemist, he said regular old soap, by it's very nature , is anti-bacterial
Old 11-05-2002, 02:11 PM   #9
akiy

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this recent study on anti-bacterial soaps (stating they didn't get rid of bacteria any better than regular soap):

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2002/10/25...cterial_021025

And, on the (sort of) flip side of things:

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/n...alth-headlines

Hmm.

Of course, a good way to prevent passing on diseases at the dojo is asking people to please not train if they're sick...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!