Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Overriding uke's determinism

This point was brought up in the complacent uke thread quite a bit but not as a topic but more as a reason not to do something. Thus I wonder if it's the wrong word being used instead of pain or do those who say this believe that's a rule?

Trust was brought up too to go along with this not overriding of determinism.

I say a dojo is a place of inherent trust but that has nothing to do with overriding ukes determinism and in fact your whole job in Aikido is to do just that.

Aikido is all about overriding determinism and so is harmony may I add.

I would also say that if you can't do that then you will lose the trust of uke.

Is this not the case?

Regards.G.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
kewms
Re: Overriding uke's determinism

Your post makes no sense. There are too many pronouns and not enough nouns. Please clarify.

Katherine
Old 11-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
graham christian
England

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
Your post makes no sense. There are too many pronouns and not enough nouns. Please clarify.

Katherine
I Am saying that Aikido is about overriding ukes determinism.

Regards.G.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
kewms

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post

Regards.G.
Ok. But what does that even mean?

Katherine
Old 11-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:

Regards.G.
By determinism are you refering to the fact that uke invariably ends up on the floor and because of this there is a tendancy for uke to develop a defeatist mentality and so rather deterministically they do anything they can to get themselves on the floor.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

Do we "override" their determinism or blend and redirect it?

Since energy follows our thoughts/focus, and I tend to think in words, the semantics make a difference.

Thoughts?

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
raul rodrigo
Philippines

"Determinism is the general philosophical thesis that states that for everything that happens there are conditions such that, given them, nothing else could happen."
Old 11-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote: View Post
"Determinism is the general philosophical thesis that states that for everything that happens there are conditions such that, given them, nothing else could happen."
...there's the definition of a word...then there's Graham's definition of a word at any particular time.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Gerardo Torres
United_States

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
...there's the definition of a word...then there's Graham's definition of a word at any particular time.
Tsk, tsk, you just don't understand. It's all good.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Determinism contains the notion of a particular chain of events being the only possible outcome. If it is possible to "change" this somehow, it is not strictly deterministic. So are we using the term more loosely to say we're trying to make uke do something a bit other than what he/she wanted? In which case it seems like a rather banal and self-evident proposition. Unless your martial art involves simply being punched out I would imagine the idea is to somewhat alter the course of events... But then again that doesn't sound nearly as deep and mystical as you wave away the bong-fog...

Old 11-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
raul rodrigo
Philippines

I thought it was about overriding uke's intention to stay vertical.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
graham christian
England

Raul and Keith. This seems like a good starting point, clarifying the meaning of the word.

Raul your definition of general philosophical thesis, wow, I don't know that one. Keith yours again of some unchangeable chain of events, wow, I don't know that one either. So before anyone says I'm using an unknown definition, a graham definition, I assure you I am using pure, clear, standard as per dictionary definition. So any misunderstanding isn't from me.

Determine......root meaning (detrminare- latin-to set limits to)

Definition.....a)to make up ones mind very firmly b)to fix or settle beforehand, decide. c) to be the deciding fact in reaching (a certain result)

So it's to do with the above. now add self as in self determined.

So the meaning I am using here is action caused and done by self will. In other words not caused by exterior forces. So a bang making you jump is an other determined action (caused by something else)
Jumping because you want to is a self determined action.

So that clears what I mean by sef determinism I hope.

So my original statement above says to override what uke wants, demands, is doing.

Regards.G.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Hmmm..... been trying to understand this discussion all day but even after examining the meaning of the word determinism I'm having trouble. You see I have been taught that as uke I should be looking to override nage's determinism......

While I am still learning how to make it happen I believe I am supposed to always be looking for the opportunity to reverse the technique therefore, in my mind ,as uke there is no unavoidable, inevitable, outcome. Of course now I am only a 3rd kyu with only two short years of training so perhaps I am still not understanding what the OP is trying to discuss.....?
Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
graham christian
England

Quote:
Ok. But what does that even mean?

Katherine
Katherine. If you have read the above post then you have what I mean by self determinism.

Now the basic concept of the thread called compliant ukes is to do with an uke doing what the nage wants wouldn't you say. Isn't that what compliancy is? It's being other determined rather than self determined.?

So I'm basically saying that uke when he holds or attacks should be self determined. ie: of firm made up mind, resolute. Non compliant.

That's ukes job. Therefore nages job is learning how to overcome that.

That's the simplicity of what I'm saying.

Regards.G.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
graham christian
England

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Hmmm..... been trying to understand this discussion all day but even after examining the meaning of the word determinism I'm having trouble. You see I have been taught that as uke I should be looking to override nage's determinism......

While I am still learning how to make it happen I believe I am supposed to always be looking for the opportunity to reverse the technique therefore, in my mind ,as uke there is no unavoidable, inevitable, outcome. Of course now I am only a 3rd kyu with only two short years of training so perhaps I am still not understanding what the OP is trying to discuss.....?
Hi Cherie. I think you are using the same definition so that's fine.

So you see it's brought up a view, your view, which you feel is different. O.k.

Well let me ask you this. Step one. uke holds nages wrist. What is uke doing self determinedly?

Regards.G.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #16
graham christian
England

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote: View Post
By determinism are you refering to the fact that uke invariably ends up on the floor and because of this there is a tendancy for uke to develop a defeatist mentality and so rather deterministically they do anything they can to get themselves on the floor.
No, I'm saying uke is self determinedly trying to do something to you.

Regards.G.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #17
graham christian
England

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Do we "override" their determinism or blend and redirect it?

Since energy follows our thoughts/focus, and I tend to think in words, the semantics make a difference.

Thoughts?
Hi Lynn. By your question I see you get it and have already questioned how and if it relates to blending.

I look at it this way. As nage it is my job to allow them to keep their self determinism. To allow them to complete their mission. So blending with takes on a slightly different perspective. It's to completely join with what they are doing at which point you are at one with. At that point then for them there is nothing to go against, no opponent, so they change their mind. You, by harmony have caused this to happen and as they let go of their self determinism they thus join with yours.

So in effect you have overridden their self determinism without going against it. As you say by blending.

Now the point of redirecting it. Well, aikido wise, your dterminism was to bring about a harmonious ending so that place is already there and now they follow you or your energy to that place.So once again the redirection is done by them entering into accordance with you.

That's my view. Hope i've put it clearly.

Regards.G.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #18
graham christian
England

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post

Cherie. I'm adding another answer to your post here because I've got to go now before youreply to the last one. So I thought I'D say this;

Your idea that uke is meant to overcome nages determinism is also true. Both are true. That's the game in Aikido.

When you hold the wrist or tsuki then at that point or prior to that point the nage didn't want to be hit did he so you are already overriding his determinism. Then it is for him to harmonize and oveeride yours. Then if he doesn't do it properly and you regain 'balance' you can counter and overcome his.

So there you are, both sides are trying to do it.

Now the first difference here I would say is to remind ourselves what the first action in the cycle is meant to represent. It represents an unasked for determined physical act against you. As uke that's the original role you are playing, the bad guy.

So that shows that uke is in fact doing something you wouldn't like. A hold says what? That question isn't as strange as it may seem for it represents something.

A hold says gotcha! A hold says you can't move. A hold says you're trapped. So uke when holding is meant to represent such things. People don't like feeling got, or that they cant move or feeling trapped.

That's why overcoming these has great psychological benefit as well. The benefits riplle out into life.

Regards.G.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #19
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

FWIW...

Quote:
Determinism. de·ter·min·ism/diˈtərməˌnizəm/ Noun: The doctrine that all events, including human action, are ultimately determined by causes external to the will.
Or to use Webster's

Quote:
de·ter·min·ism noun \di-ˈtər-mə-ˌni-zəm, dē-\

Definition of DETERMINISM

a : a theory or doctrine that acts of the will, occurrences in nature, or social or psychological phenomena are causally determined by preceding events or natural laws
b : a belief in predestination
: the quality or state of being determined
— de·ter·min·ist noun or adjective
— de·ter·min·is·tic adjective
— de·ter·min·is·ti·cal·ly adverb
Definition 2 pretty much encapsulates the notions of definition 1 including the predestination aspect.

I see what you're saying now, but again I think you're making up meanings as you go. That's not exactly conducive to communication...

Old 11-08-2011, 12:04 AM   #20
Anthony Loeppert
Dojo: Aikido of Del Mar
United_States

Quote:
So that clears what I mean by sef determinism I hope.
Regards.G.
You still miss the point that determine or its past tense, determined, isn't the same thing as adding ism at the end which totally changes the meaning. The word you are for some reason avoiding is determination.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #21
kewms

Quote:
So I'm basically saying that uke when he holds or attacks should be self determined. ie: of firm made up mind, resolute. Non compliant.
Resolute and non-compliant are not synonyms. But never mind that. I'm still failing to see the point.

I mean, I read the words, and I think I understand what you're saying. Thank you for that clarification. It just seems to be a somewhat obvious statement.

Katherine
Old 11-08-2011, 12:43 AM   #22
kewms

Quote:
Now the first difference here I would say is to remind ourselves what the first action in the cycle is meant to represent. It represents an unasked for determined physical act against you. As uke that's the original role you are playing, the bad guy.
Maybe. Or maybe nage is the bad guy, and I'm grabbing his wrist because he was about to draw his sword on me. Or hit me. Sometimes good guys need to attack, too.

Katherine
Old 11-08-2011, 01:31 AM   #23
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands

I would not say 'override'.
In my view you try to make aite believe he can achieve his goal, but by the time he is there the context has changed. When aite strikes chudan tsuki, I let him attack and execute kimu subi to maintain proper ma ai. At the moment aite's fist arrives at his initial targeted point of impact I have moved without him being able to do anything about it (he was commited to the attack). So he did strike, I was not hit. Did I really override him? I believe not.
Another approach is act when aite is about to strike: you enter deep (irimi) and block his attacking arm. Aite is committed to strike, but you override his body and prevent the strike. Aite was still very determined, did I override that? I believe not.
In both cases I 'meremly' override his manifestation of his determination...

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 11-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #24
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands

Quote:
Maybe. Or maybe nage is the bad guy, and I'm grabbing his wrist because he was about to draw his sword on me. Or hit me. Sometimes good guys need to attack, too.

Katherine
I am not so sure that taking the initiative in a fight makes you the 'bad' guy....
The bad guy it would seem is the one with bad intentions, but that is OT.
And that is relative too....

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 11-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #25
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Do you consider uke as a wave or as a particle?