Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #76
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan
Re: YouTube: Ki in Aikido? (Y. Takeda sensei demo)

By coincidence I sent a column on no-touch aikido to Jun before this thread started and I go into it in some more detail in that. But in the meantime let me make a couple of points about taking the ukemi for no-touch aikido. I know Watanabe Sensei much better than Takeda Sensei. He uses at least two ki techniques that I'm aware of - he could be using others too. They are not difficult concepts. I believe Takeda Sensei is doing something similar but he never did the no-touch aikido to me in the couple of times I took ukemi for his technique in Kamakura.

The first is timing and intention. If you go to open a door and just as you grab the handle the door opens away from you your body movement follows the movement of the opening door as you try to catch the handle. That's kind of how Watanabe Sensei leads your ki. And if the door spirals upwards and away from you suddenly you find yourself on your back.

The second is disturbing your ki - breaking the flow. Just as you are about to open the door if a dog jumps at you from the side you will pull up suddenly and protect yourself from the dog, thoughts of opening the door having become less important. Watanabe Sensei does that with movements and atemi of various kinds - some of them very subtle.

By the way both of these teachers have got very powerful relaxed aikido when they don't do the no-touch stuff. But I think Watanabe Sensei enjoys playing with the energy.

I don't really take the no-touch ukemi. Sometimes I deliberately changed the tempo or the direction of an attack to disturb Watanabe Sensei's technique and he seemed to relish that even. If the attack has got some energy and direction he seems to be able to use it. I have never fallen for him or any other teacher unless I was thrown and he always manages to throw me. And he's such a nice approachable guy too - like a cuddly bear. I don't mind about the other stuff. If that's what he wants to do it's fine with me.

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 06-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #77
phanhngocdi
Dojo: Kansha Dojo
Viet Nam

Thanks for all of your comments.
but no one has answered what is the purpose, reality behind this clip?What did Sensei try to demo?
Old 06-15-2010, 05:10 AM   #78
dps

Quote:
Danh Phi Ngoc wrote: View Post
but no one has answered what is the purpose, reality behind this clip?What did Sensei try to demo?
Maybe this is a way of training the ukes to do ukemi.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:42 AM   #79
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Danh Phi Ngoc wrote: View Post
Haha. I think the opinions expressed about the reality behind this, is that the guy doesn't have magic powers, and what he's doing is an embarrassment to the name aikido; but a few people/one person(?) argued that he was using the power of his mind to make a load of people who had the 'mindset' of earnestly attacking him fall over.
So he tried to demo his mental powers, is the best/only explanation given, I think.

Don't worry about it, dude: there are a few people doing this kind of thing - just focus on doing aikido: it's irrelevant right now - you get ki balls at 12th dan, by which time it'll all make sense.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:21 AM   #80
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

Quote:
I think the opinions expressed about the reality behind this, is that the guy doesn't have magic powers, and what he's doing is an embarrassment to the name aikido
Thanks..

Quote:
Some might take umbrage at my having such a strong opinion - but when one publicly presents something, one is inviting comment, be it praise or critique. Otherwise, do not present.
Very elequently stated, I concur.

Train well,

Mickey

Last edited by mickeygelum : 06-15-2010 at 06:28 AM.