Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-19-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
SmallRock

Dojo: Aikido of San Leandro
Poll: Yudansha in your dojo

Hello everyone.

I have a skewed view here in the SF Bay Area. I haven't been outside this area to train in aikido and I know there are other places with a cluster of high ranked teachers, but I was wondering how many yudansha are there as students in other dojos.

Certainly I understand that rank isn't everything. I know of people who have trained in aikido for decades but have not increased in rank either because they aren't affiliated or they simply aren't invested in rank. With that in mind though...

Where do you train?
Do you have godans, yondans, sandans, or nidans who are students?

The reverse side also has a reverse side.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:26 PM   #2
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States
Re: Poll: Yudansha in your dojo

I don't know if our "cluster" is the same since Sunnyvale is close to Oakland... Anyway, from our website it seems we have two Nidans listed there. I know we have at least one more Nidan, in November one of our Shodans will have his Nidan test. Website lists five Shodans, bit I'm pretty sure there are more and on November we also have one Shodan test.
All people above are students.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:37 PM   #3
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Three shodan, one nidan, two sandan and one retired, one yondan, Sensei is Godan.
One fifth kyu (me), Two second kyu, five or six unranked. thats the whole dojo.

The thing is, there are more dojos in Northern Cal than probably anywhere else so the yudansha population would naturally be higher...

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 10-19-2004, 06:52 PM   #4
GaiaM
Dojo: Bend Aiki Martial Arts
United_States

Six or seven shodans, two of whom are very close to being nidan, one just because she hasn't tested in forever, one sandan who is about to be promoted to yondan, and our sensei who is yondan soon to be godan, about 10-15 regular other students.
Gaia

Old 10-19-2004, 08:32 PM   #5
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan

About 8 shodans, 7 nidans, 2 sandans who regularly train at our main dojo. The chief instructor is rokudan & the 2IC is yondan.
The sandans are rostered to take 1 or 2 classes per week & 3 of the nidans take the occasional class. At other times they train in class like everyone else.
There is probably a similar number at the smaller dojos around the city, but the nidans & sandans tend to teach more there.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:46 PM   #6
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

We are a small group. Chief instructor is yondan, one nidan and one shodan. Non-affiliated we have another shodan and nidan (he doesn't train with me). Another shodan in the pipeline-about a year.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:42 AM   #7
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Chief Instructor is Go Dan, one Nidan, 4 Shodan, soon to be 5, and a mix of kyu`s (50 or so registered members but over this year we haven`t averaged more than 7 per class!).

Rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 10-20-2004, 03:06 AM   #8
Jim Simons
Dojo: Aikido in the Fan

We've got one sandan, two nidan and five shodan. I always thought of us as a small dojo, but I guess this puts us closer to medium-sized (or perhaps median-sized); I'm in the UK right now training when I can with a lovely club run by two nidan, with one newly-minted shodan and one other yudansha whose rank I don't know.

Last edited by Jim Simons : 10-20-2004 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:15 AM   #9
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Weve got an 8th Dan, 3 San dans, 9 nidans and 28 shodans.

I'm the best looking one if you ever visit us!
Old 10-20-2004, 10:14 AM   #10
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Paula Carrico wrote:
Where do you train?
Southwest Michigan, USA

Quote:
Paula Carrico wrote:
Do you have godans, yondans, sandans, or nidans who are students?

• one rokyudan--chief instructor
  • one yondan
  • two sandan (one is also hachidan in uechi ryu karate)
  • five nidan
  • four shodan
  • five or six nikyu/ikkyu
  • a whole gaggle of people ranked below nikyu

These are the ones who still train. There are many other kyu and dan students from the past who don't train anymore for whatever reason.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 10-20-2004, 12:39 PM   #11
SeiserL

United_States

We, Tenshinkai Aikido, seems to have a high population of Yudansha. I think the high level of instruction keeps us learning. We are ranked through our own International Federation and through the Aikikai.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 10-22-2004, 03:08 PM   #12
SmallRock

Thanks everyone for your reply. I see that there are quite a few people who have replied that have a healthy level of yudansha. I have an impression though that the majority of the dojos out there do not have multiple sandans and such. Maybe I'm wrong.

So my question to those of you who have a high ranking instructor (maybe godan and higher) is, do you take your sempai less seriously as 'experts' because you have a very high ranked sensei at hand? Are you a witness to other students doing this?

Another teacher that I have trained under is a nidan and I feel like the feedback that he gave me was invaluable, yet the number he had in his title might be misleading as he has been training for twenty years.

Do you feel that your sempai ~always~ have some level of beneficial feedback?

Thanks again for the replies.

Paula

Old 10-22-2004, 03:46 PM   #13
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Paula Carrico wrote:
do you take your sempai less seriously as 'experts' because you have a very high ranked sensei at hand?
No.

Quote:
Paula Carrico wrote:
Are you a witness to other students doing this?
Yes.

Quote:
Paula Carrico wrote:
I would say no because of the use of the word "always". Replace it with usually and I'd switch it to yes

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 10-22-2004, 05:18 PM   #14
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States

Quote:
Paula Carrico wrote:
So my question to those of you who have a high ranking instructor (maybe godan and higher)
I think I'm eligible with teachers of 5th and 7th dans.

Quote:
Paula Carrico wrote:
do you take your sempai less seriously as 'experts' because you have a very high ranked sensei at hand?
No.

Quote:
Paula Carrico wrote:
Are you a witness to other students doing this?
I don't think so. At least such opinion is never expressed.

Quote:
Paula Carrico wrote:
Feedback may be not beneficial if:
1. What is taught is b/s
1.1. Person does not know what he is talking about (includes showing off, masking incompetence, etc.)
1.2. Person intentionally lies
2. You are not able to understand the lesson
2.1. Because of your level of development in the art
2.2. Because of your distrust in the teaching person

Since we are talking about sempai who is yudansha, the probability of 1.1 is pretty low. 1.2. does not make much sence unless there is something personal between you, or the person does not understand the non-competitiveness of the art. Both 2.1 and 2.2 are possible. In case of 2.1 I would try to concentrate and ask for additional explanations. In the case 2.2, the problem is not the person teaching, but the person being taught...

So my answer would be "Yes" with the exceptions discussed in 1.2.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:16 PM   #15
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Hi Paula,

I know this might seem simplistic and not a real answer to your question, but I always try to keep the attitude that everyone can give me beneficial feedback, especially the non-verbal kind. I often fail to do this, but I try to keep this intention when I practice. Also, I have gotten a lot of beneficial feedback when my sempai indicate something that is clearly different than what my shihan teaches. I have thoroughly learned the lesson that it is easy to keep practicing without any progress for many years.

Also, as for your 20 year practicing nidan teacher, is he in an active student/teacher relationship with someone more experienced? My feeling is that rank is a form of communication btwn teacher and student. My opinion is that for someone to have practiced for 20 years and be a nidan means that either the teacher thinks his/her student is totally lost and has given up on him or the nidan is not in an active relationship with a teacher and thus is not really nidan.

Charles Hill
Old 10-22-2004, 07:48 PM   #16
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Charles i have to take exception to that. Sometimes the person just really doesn't care about the rank. My sensei's first student at this dojo only recently tested for nidan after 20 years. Two of her kohai have already made sandan, but they also attend many seminars, have trained at hombu, and had just more interest in testing then Robin did.
However she is still the senior student in the dojo and sensei's favorite uke. I assure they have a healthy,active teacher/student. relationship.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 10-23-2004, 01:03 AM   #17
SmallRock

Hey Charles
Thanks so much for the reply. It's late and though I think you have given me much to chew on...in the moment I feel moved to address the 20 year nidan issue. Truly I can't speak for him and his reasons. I feel moved to relate that he isn't affiliated and therefore hasn't had the occasion to 'move up'. He does train as well under a very good teacher (not just my opinion but respected by other fine teachers), but I don't know if she's affiliated. I do respect his path however and have benefited from his guidance.

For my part, I've practiced for a few years but have had to preempt advance on and off for various reasons. I try to set my ego aside when I see that previous dohai, even kohai are playing with the big kids now. I wanna play too. So sometimes I have attachment to my own rank, but I also see that as a material thing. Really that I get to train at all is a gift. I am spoiled by the fact that I have so many very cool dojos to choose from here in the Bay Area.

I'll cover the rest of your reply (thanks BTW for setting aside the time for a couple paragraphs : ) ) when I have a longer moment and my head isn't sleeepy.

Paula

Old 10-23-2004, 05:20 AM   #18
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Hi Jo and Paula,

I see that I didn`t make myself clear. I don`t mean that someone who has trained 20 years and is still nidan is not a nidan in terms of skill. I mean that they don`t have a strict teacher/student relationship with someone who uses the dan system as it was intended. Likely, such a person is much higher in skill. Thus, it is not fair to anyone to compare that person who has trained in a normal progression and is a "real" nidan. For example, someone might research a topic and become the world`s foremost expert in it. Another person might study the same topic for a few years at a university and get a Phd. in it. The first person might be way more knowledgable, but still can`t be called, "doctor." And of course, most people would rather study with the first guy.

I feel that a dan rank, on its own, has no meaning and no value. When I hear that someone is xx dan, I want to know who gave that rank.

Sorry about the confusion.
Charles Hill
Old 10-24-2004, 07:56 AM   #19
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai

Hello, I recently gave up my dojo (long running threads about the difficulties of keeping it going) and now happily practice at my old dojo. The teacher is a yondan shidoin, and we have several shodan, three nidans, a sandan fukushidoin, and recently had a godan from Japan join into the fray. Many ikkyu and nikyu students, and bunches of students with less than two years practice. Good group!

By the way, I am one of those folks who tend to think that years of consistent practice is just as important than actual rank (for obvious reasons), and that rank is also indicative of ones relationship with ones teacher and the organization to which one belongs. FYI I have been practicing now for over 20 years and am a sandan, but I also made the choice to switch styles of aikido 12 years ago, which started me back and square one on the rank scale. I believe you will find that with many folks who have trained a long time.

Cheers
Old 10-24-2004, 10:16 AM   #20
Jerry Miller

United_States

We have one sandan, one nidan and at least seven shodan. I am not sure of the number of shodan after the last seminar. I try to keep an open mind with all of the sempai.

Jerry Miller
Old 10-26-2004, 10:41 AM   #21
Kevin Masters
Dojo: Woodstock Aikido
United_States

I'm in Woodstock, NY.

We have about 3 shodan, 3 or 4 nidan, several sandan, a couple of yondan, I think at least one godan, and Sensei is a seichidan.
Oftentimes the mudansha are outnumbered by the yudansha.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:59 AM   #22
tenshinaikidoka

Dojo: Aikido Of Benton County Richland, Wa.
United_States

We have two Shodan and Two Nidan in our Dojo at this time.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:31 PM   #23
crbateman

Quote:
Of course. All have their own experiences and perspectives. When two men (or women) meet, each has something to teach the other, and each something to learn from the other.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:14 PM   #24
Joezer M.

I live in Bandung, Indonesia... there are 2 sandans, 3-4 nidans, and several shodans...
In my dojo there are currently... um... 2 shodans... On rare occasions, one of the sandans comes along... or shodans from other dojos.
I remember a couple of years back when training with yudansha was a big event and the dojo would be full...

Regards,
Joezer

I AM in shape... Round is a shape...
Old 11-01-2004, 05:39 AM   #25
Berney Fulcher
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

Age of the school would have a lot to do with this too I would think. We are a fairly new school, the teachers are Sandan and Nidan, and except for the occasional visiting shodan or upper Kyu belt, all the students are 5th Kyu. With that kind of distribution just about anyone who offers tips gets the benefit of having their opinion considered.