Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-05-2004, 12:24 PM   #1
Ima

United_States
Hello - and a few questions

Hello,
I am brand new to this forum. I do not currently study Aikido, but hope to gather some information that will send me down the path to joining a local dojo.
There seem to be a great many dedicated people here who I hope will answer a few questions.

I have been looking at 2 forms of physical arts;
Aikido and Tai Chi.
My question is: Am I a candidate for Aikido?

Here are my statistics
I am 40 years old
I have never seriously studied any form of Martial Art, (other than a few weeks here and there at various schools, years ago, college and my job soon put an end to that)

I have done quite a bit of reading on Buddhist, Taoist and Bushido philosophy recently and some reading on Aikido. I am drawn to the non-competitive aspect of it Aikido and its emphasis on the improvement of the self. I have recently focused on combating all of my personal internal battles that have raged for years and have come to realize that I must center my mind, body and spirit, the Aikido idea of "Masakatsu Agatsu" (True victory is victory over oneself) is exactly what I am working on.

How hard is it for a beginner at my age to start Aikido?
I exercise regularly, lift weights lightly 3 times a week and walk a fast three miles on the treadmill 3 times a week.
I don't have the best knees and my joints are not conditioned very well since I have never really trained them for any particular purpose.
I would not say that I am in the best shape of my life but I'm not confined to a wheel chair yet.

I have read some discussions on knee problems here and on various other boards.
How hard is the impact of Aikido on the body?
The low impact of Tai Chi and its benefits to health are what drew me to the idea of Tai Chi, can anyone compare the two?
Is there a fair comparison to make?

Thank you for any replys
Old 05-05-2004, 12:37 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Hello - and a few questions

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the AikiWeb Forums!

As far as your questions, I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses. My take is that the best thing to do for you would be to stop by a few aikido dojo and check them out yourself. Different dojo have different ways of practicing, some of which may work for you and others which may not. The New England area in which you reside has a lot of good aikido dojo, so you're in luck!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-05-2004, 01:01 PM   #3
PeaceHeather
Dojo: hopefully Purdue Aikido Club
United_States

Michael,

If you walk and lift even light weights, you're in better shape than me, and I've just recently started aikido.

A big thing in this art that you will need to learn is how to fall properly, which will mean learning how to roll and also how to lessen the impact of a landing. Other than that, there isn't really much in the way of punching, blocking, or other "sharp" hard motions.

Also, a good instructor will work very hard to make sure that you are able to advance at a pace that matches your abilities and limitations. Aikido has been successfully taught to students who are blind, and students who use wheelchairs. I don't think you'll have too much problem!

Welcome!
Heather, cheerful newbie
Old 05-05-2004, 01:09 PM   #4
Ima

United_States

Jun and Heather
Thank you for the welcome and the responses.
Hearing that there are not any really hard motions helps, and certainly stopping in at each of the potential Dojos is the right way to go about choosing a school that is best for me.

Ima
Old 05-05-2004, 04:23 PM   #5
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

I started aikido when I was 39 (now 40) and not at all athletic. I didn't learn as quickly as the college students in my Intro class, but so far I haven't hit anything that I can't do. I must say, I find it a tremendous thrill to be thrown and be able to roll or breakfall successfully--I just didn't imagine myself as the kind of person who could do that.

I picked up some bruises along the way, and one case of sore knees which required strengthening exercises and avoiding certain moves for a while, but nothing more serious.

One of my favorite training partners is 61; he started when he was 50. He's the dojo's keenest breakfaller, and while we all think he's crazy, he certainly demonstrates that you don't have to be young to do this. (He would say that it does help to be crazy.)

Mary Kaye
Old 05-05-2004, 06:43 PM   #6
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

Oh yeah, there is no "too old" for this.
We've all got war stories...

Jeanne
Old 05-05-2004, 08:13 PM   #7
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

I still like Dave Lowry's statement: (paraphrase) "If you are fit enough to walk into the dojo under your own power, you are fit enough to begin training".

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-06-2004, 08:46 AM   #8
Ima

United_States

Many thanks for the replys.

I believe I have my answer. Now I will move on to the next step of visiting local dojos.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:34 PM   #9
GaiaM
Dojo: Bend Aiki Martial Arts
United_States

If you let me know where in New England you are I might be able to recommend a good dojo. Feel free to send me a message or post here...
My parents are both in their 50s and started Aikido about 6 years ago. They love it!
Gaia