Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-27-2001, 07:54 AM   #1
arvin m.
relaxing

Hi everyone!I recently attempted morote-dori techniques and found it exceedingly difficult to execute even kokyunage when my uke grabbed on really really tight...even when my sister grabbed me tight i couldnt move!!! Same thingg happened for gyaku-hanmi catches...eeks this is quite scary...oh did i mention my ryotedori tenchinage- uke ctaches me, i tell him hold tight, and i cant move. And then i run to my sensei who effortlessly smacks me into the tatami...hard...he smiles and says the harder i catch the harder i fall...guys how do i relax soo much? I try to think of my hand as a towel and stuff, even moving with my one point and stuff but it doesnt work regularly...any tips?
Old 08-27-2001, 08:29 AM   #2
Steve Speicher
Dojo: Aikido of Central Ohio
Quote:
...guys how do i relax soo much?
Well, I'm sure everyone has there own ways of relaxing. One of the most important things in aikido is breathing. Breathing evenly, slowly, and deeply, and from your one-point, will relax you. One of the reasons this works is when you breath from your one-point, then you are breathing with your diaphragm.(sp?) As the diaphragm raises and lowers it massages the Vegas nerve. When the Vegas nerve is stimulated it causes a parasympathetic response in the nervous system (in other words, RELAXATION).

Another technique that can be employed is a psychological one. Have your sensei or someone lead you through a series of relaxation exercises. As you feel the sensations of relaxation, repeat the word 'Relax' to yourself in your mind, and associate it with the corresponding feelings and sensations. If done properly, you can set up a response system that works by invoking your trigger word, 'Relax!'

By merely repeating this word to yourself 'Relax', your body will automatically respond by relaxing. Just make sure you don't fall asleep on the mat!!!!

-----------------------------
Steve Speicher
May I ask what is meant by the strong, moving power (hao jan chih chi)? "It
is difficult to describe," Mencius replied. -- Mencius IIA2

403-256 BCE
Old 08-27-2001, 10:30 AM   #3
Kenn
Dojo: looking for a new one
United_States
Re: relaxing

Quote:
Originally posted by arvin m.
Hi everyone!I recently attempted morote-dori techniques and found it exceedingly difficult to execute even kokyunage when my uke grabbed on really really tight...even when my sister grabbed me tight i couldnt move!!! Same thingg happened for gyaku-hanmi catches...eeks this is quite scary...oh did i mention my ryotedori tenchinage- uke ctaches me, i tell him hold tight, and i cant move. And then i run to my sensei who effortlessly smacks me into the tatami...hard...he smiles and says the harder i catch the harder i fall...guys how do i relax soo much? I try to think of my hand as a towel and stuff, even moving with my one point and stuff but it doesnt work regularly...any tips?
I'd say smoke a big fat doobie right before class......

lol, in all seriousness, I try to get to class a few minutes early so that I can stretch and also, to mediadate a bit before class. Let all the days worries slide away before I start class.

Kenn

Kenn

Remember, the only way to be happy always, is to be happy always, without reason.
Old 08-27-2001, 10:44 AM   #4
Erik
Re: Re: relaxing

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenn
I'd say smoke a big fat doobie right before class......

lol, in all seriousness, I try to get to class a few minutes early so that I can stretch and also, to mediadate a bit before class. Let all the days worries slide away before I start class.

Kenn
You laugh but I bet you probably have no idea how common this used to be. I know sensei who considered this part of their standard warmup and some who racked up a lot of frequent flying mileage sans airplanes. In other words, if they'd only been smoking pot. Most have moved on, but some still do it at times.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:12 PM   #5
mj
Re: Re: Re: relaxing

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik

You laugh but I bet you probably have no idea how common this used to be
.......!!!
......!!
.....!

Old 08-27-2001, 09:23 PM   #6
Mares
I understand what you mean, however I believe there maybe an issue with your uke's. I'm not sure what rank you are but if you are in the higher kyu ranks then perhaps you do need to seek a solution to the problem. However if you are a lower kyu rank then perhaps your uke's should only be providing enough resistance to let you push through with the correct shape and form. I don't believe they should be blocking you off, otherwise you'll never learn the correct form and shape.

If you are a higher kyu rank then your uke's should be gripping on for dear life, and here are my humble suggestions to solve your problems.

One method is to close your eyes and think "happy" thoughts, in the meantime you must do the entire technique from start to finish in one movement without stopping. If you stop in the middle of your technique it gives the uke a chance to rebalance and become strong again. Also whilst this is happening you must be breathing out through out the entire technique. So, close your eyes breathe out and do the technique without stopping.

The other method is to try and become the complete opposite. That is do teh technique completely relaxed. This means you should be limp, so if you smack your muscles they should wobble around. To help this along, in particular with morote dori kokyu ho you can flap your hands up and down (from the wrist) as you move through the technique (like you are waving to someone).

But most importantly it is important to know the difference between Ki-ing up and tensing up. You cannot possibly do any techniques if u are as stiff as a board. You should also remember that techniques should be non confrontational so if you do encounter resistence then perhaps the answer lies in using a different angle or using more kokyu.

Well I hope my humble suggestions help, and I haven't taken up too much of your time by crapping on for too long. Good luck with your Aikido
Old 08-28-2001, 05:29 AM   #7
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I think there is sometimes a misunderstanding about relaxing.

Telling someone to relax is often a waste of time. People tense up for a reason. Whenever someone is grabbed hard (uke or nage) they will automatically tense up that area as a natural response to resist movement.

When someone grabs you they are doing it for a reason (i.e. to pin, strike or throw you). The only way to 'relax' is to blend completely with their movement. i.e. if they are pushing your arm down, go down with it (keeping your back straight), and then when they have reached their point of over extension, rise up again and do kokyu nage.

If you just focus on the bit that is being grabbed you tend to get hit by other areas. If they are grabbing you with two hands and just holding you this is just plain stupid as you can strike them with the other hand (best not to hit friends that hard - just poke them in the floating ribs or the nerve underneath the ear - gently!).

Ian
Old 08-28-2001, 05:39 AM   #8
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
P.S. I used to have this aid to 'blending' which was to imagine that an uke's ki was being directed out of the arms which they were using, in the direction they were using them - all I had to do was direct my ki extension in the same direction.

However this still tends to focus you on one part of uke's body. Instead I now visualise a large spinning ball between by outstretched arms. The ball is completly incompressible, and if something strikes it, due to the spinning, the ball rolls around the outside so the energy is dissapated at a tangent to the ball.

This enables you to change easily between different techniques in response to ukes different (and combined) attacks. It also keeps you moving off centre, and ensures that your posture and extension are always correct.

An interesting note is that (in the footage of Ueshiba I have seen) Ueshiba never disturbs someones centre, he tends to spin someone around their own centre, or sometimes leads their centre around in a circle. Also, very noticeable as he got older was this concept applied to kokyu-nage where uke is not thrown back the way they came (which is often common practise), but actually caries on in the direction they were moving and falls over - thus the feeling of not being thrown.

Ian
Old 08-29-2001, 09:17 AM   #9
mariko nakamura
Dojo: Dobunkan Japan
Dear Arvin,
I'm not sure of the exact waza you were trying but I think that relaxing is important, yes. But... Maybe the problem could be your form. Morote dori waza is very important to stay away from the direct resistance, right? You wont be able to lift your arm(although),, Eventually this resistence thing wont matter much anyways. My guess is your still trying to do the waza from your arms. It takes a long time to learn how to use your whole body and maked all the timing correct with it. Tell your ukes to lay off and let you get the motions right. If this is still your first or second year, they should be giving you minimul resistence.
Mick

Mick