Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-26-2001, 08:01 AM   #1
arvin m.
Where do we keep our eyes?

hi all!!!
When executing technique, where does one keep his eyes? For example in iriminage, do u keep looking ahead, or at the ground in front your uke as u lead him or what?

Also, I would like to clarify something. How does one not get "drawn" into his or her opponents eyes? Someone previously mentioned on the forum about the traingle from shoulder up, but wouldnt it be a wee bit strange if, say, in a real confrontation, as u try to defuse the situation with verbal aiki, u arent really looking at the guy but somewhere else? Isnt it natural for us to look someone in the eyes? Or maybe its just an amateur blue belt speaking...take care guys keep training!
Old 07-26-2001, 08:36 AM   #2
akiy

Re: Where do we keep our eyes?

Hi Arvin,

Please be sure to fill out the "Last Name" field in your User Profile as it is a forum rule to have your last name there.
Quote:
Originally posted by arvin m.
When executing technique, where does one keep his eyes? For example in iriminage, do u keep looking ahead, or at the ground in front your uke as u lead him or what?

It depends, of course, on the situation, but I usually try to keep a "soft focus" that's centered on the person's torso around the neck area.
Quote:
Also, I would like to clarify something. How does one not get "drawn" into his or her opponents eyes? Someone previously mentioned on the forum about the traingle from shoulder up, but wouldnt it be a wee bit strange if, say, in a real confrontation, as u try to defuse the situation with verbal aiki, u arent really looking at the guy but somewhere else? Isnt it natural for us to look someone in the eyes?
It's not "natural" for a lot of people, especially shy folks, who find looking into someone's eyes very direct. I don't think a verbal conflict is really the same as a physical one in terms of martial strategy so I think it's fine to look into someone's eyes if you're going to only be talking with them. If the situation shifts to the physical, then I would hopefully be able to shift to it, too.

A tip to those who find looking into someone's eyes too direct, especially in situations like a job interview (in which eye contact is a "good thing") -- look between the other person's eyes or about an inch above that spot (the "third eye") as it's pretty much impossible to tell. Of course, getting used to looking into someone's eyes for this kind of purpose is good, too.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-26-2001, 08:37 AM   #3
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

During Iriminage, the part of the technique where you are leading Uke around in a circular motion, I will "scan" the room. Meaning, I don't look at the floor in front of Uke, and I don't just look straight ahead, but rather I will look around the room to see if another attack is eminent. It also helps when establishing a safe spot to plop Uke onto his backside, especially if mat space is limited (like at seminars). Shihan Toyoda always said that it's important to be aware of your surroundings, by performing Iriminage in this fashion I believe that I'm making myself more aware of my surroundings. Have a good day!

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 07-26-2001, 08:38 AM   #4
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Re: Where do we keep our eyes?

Quote:
Originally posted by arvin m.
hi all!!!

There's a little shockwave reaction game at http://bodymindandmodem.com that helps this kindof. The seven samurai(minus three) is the name- basically four samurai in the corner of the screen draw weapons randomly and you must react by pulling the mouse over them. A bit like real life aikido, if you focus on one of them you'll miss the others. If you kind of relax and focus past them you can see them all at once.
You've got to watch uke without watching ONLY uke. See?

andrew
Old 07-26-2001, 11:09 AM   #5
Erik
I don't know if anyone has done any of the weapon kata taught by Sugawara but the one thing I noticed, in my tiny bit of practice, is that they look directly into the eyes. I found it a touch uncomfortable.
Old 07-26-2001, 02:57 PM   #6
Nick
United_States
"Don't look at the opponent's eyes, or your mind will be drawn into his eyes. Don't look at his sword, or you will be slain with his sword. Don't look at him, or your spirit will be distracted. True budo is the cultivation of attraction with which to draw the whole opponent to you."

So says "Da big boss".

Nick
Old 07-26-2001, 04:30 PM   #7
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
ya nick the big boss did say that but where do you look to see the whole body of and uke?? my shizenkai sensi says that I sould look at the center of the belt to see the whole body while my yoshinkinain teacher says look at the eyes. me personally look at teh belt only because i have been in shizenkai for a long time ( lmost 6 years!)

Dallas Adolphsen
Old 07-26-2001, 08:59 PM   #8
TheProdigy
Dojo: Aikido Kokikai Delaware
Well, I only have a very limited amount of experience in this art, but I do agree with what Nick quoted. I would think that looking at their belt is drawing too much focus on the person attacking... I more-less interpret the quote as meaning to be aware of everything, while not trying to be aware of anything.

-Jase

Jason Hobbs
"As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise you will miss most of your life."