Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
John Furgerson III

Mexico
Ceremony marking the 40th anniversary of O Senseis death

The dojo I practice at here in Mexico City is having a ceremony this Sunday (April 26, 2009) to mark the 40th anniversary of the death of the founder of Aikido.
I know the actual date is April 29, but I guess they figure more people will be able to attend on a Sunday. For those of you who have been in Aikido for a while or may have known a high ranking Sensei, what should I expect from the ceremony? Will they follow some type of Japanese custom?
I forgot to ask so I will this Saturday but I was just wandering. I'm thinking it may be a big ceremony since it's the 40th anniversary. Do most dojos do something every year on April 29?

Thanks all!!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
akiy

Re: Ceremony marking the 40th anniversary of O Senseis death

Hi John,

Morihei Ueshiba sensei passed away on April 26th, 1969.

http://www.aikikai.or.jp/eng/doshu.htm

As for us, we train.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

We often include chanting the norito or simple kotodama syllable chanting as a portion of the day. There are ceremonial demonstrations done by dojo members as a gift to O-Sensei's legacy and memory. Food is also brought to the dojo and laid out in front of the kamiza. After training it is eaten by those present. We also train, of course, and do some reading of his doka. The traditions are more or less formal at different dojo's. We're pretty much in the upper-middle of formality.
Whatever one does, it should be done in joyful gratitude for a life that sprung forth so much for so many.
Have fun! Train Hard!

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 04-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
John Furgerson III

Mexico

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post

Morihei Ueshiba sensei passed away on April 26th, 1969.

-- Jun
April 26?? I just saw on youtube that it was April 29. Oh well. The website for my dojo says something about the ceremony being sad?
Not sure what that entails. I'll find out more on Saturday.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
akiy

Hi John,

I believe that the annual Taisai festival which marks the founder's death occurs on April 29th. His death date, however, is April 26th, 1969.

Hope that helps,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-26-2009, 02:39 AM   #6
Josh Astridge
Dojo: Aikido Hawkes Bay, Tamatea
New Caledonia

Rest in Peace, O'sensei Morihei Ueshiba.

All of the stories and biographies I've read about you have inspired me into learning Aikido, and have changed my perception of many things in life.

I hope to meet you someday,
whether it be in the afterlife or my dreams.

Josh,
Hawke's Bay Aikido, NZ
Old 04-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
jennifer paige smith

United_States

"When you bow deeply to the universe it bows back. When you call out the name of the divine it echoes deep inside of you."

A deep bow, in gratitude and reigi, from me to my aikido grandpa, O-Sensei! Thanks for this beautiful family!

Let me keep doing this in your name :-)

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 04-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
John Furgerson III

Mexico
memorial ceremnony for O Sensei

Sunday, April 26 we had a ceremony for O Sensei. Extra flowers were placed below the picture. In front of them were two candles.To the side of the candles was a box with little plants. The whole class was one person at a time (starting with the sensei's of the dojo) goint o the front of the picture of O Sensei, bowing taking one of the plants and placing it on the silver tray in front of the candles, bowing again then four claps.
At the same time Sensei was reading from a book. She only stopped when the person was getting ready to do the four claps.
Did anyone else have a ceremony like this?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
jennifer paige smith

United_States
Re: memorial ceremnony for O Sensei

Quote:
John Furgerson III wrote: View Post
Did anyone else have a ceremony like this?
Hi John,
Extremely Similar.
I wrote about it in the other thread you started before the Matsuri on the 26th. We followed the outlineof celebration you'll find written there.
I hope you had an enjoyable day training and I also hope your dojo opens it's doors again soon.
Be Well

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 04-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
Rev.K. Barrish

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja
United_States

Spring greetings from Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America,
Yes, this year marked the 40th year since the passing of Ueshiba O’Sensei. The Mitama of O’Sensei and the Mitama of Nidai Doshu Kisshomaru Sensei are enshrined at the Gyoman-Do, the Buddhist Hall of Tsubaki Grand Shrine in Mie, Japan. Ueshiba Moriteru Sensei (current Doshu) made his annual visit to Tsubaki Grand Shrine to pay respects to the mitama of his Father and Grandfather on 2/25/09 near the time of Ohigan). The Mitama of O’Sensei is also enshrined at the North America Branch Shrine, Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America where on the weekend of 4/24-26 the Aiki Taisai was be conducted. This event will included Aiki Keiko, Misogi Shuho (ritual water purification), Chinko Gyoho (Shinto active meditation) and the Ireisai (the Shinto memorial ceremony for repose of the mitama of Kaiso).
The Shinto Memorial Shikishidai (flow of ceremony) is:

Shybatsu/ preliminary purification of food offerings, tamagushi and attendees

Ippai/ one bow to begin the ceremony (if taking place where O’Sensei is not an enshrined Kami then Koushin-no-Gi [ inviting the Mitama to a himorogi- temporary shrine antennae] is done at this time

Kensen/ food offering

Saishi..group recitation of 1) Oharahi-no-Kotoba/ Great Purification Prayer 2) Mitama Shizume-no-Kotoba/ words of soul pacification followed by the Saishi/ prayer of the ceremony

Tamgushi hairei/ the Shinto Priest and representatives of various groups offer the sacred evergreen branch to the Mitama of Kaiso

Tessen/ removal of food offerings

Ippai/ one bow to close the ceremony or if before the himorogi Soushin-no-Gi [seeing off the Kami].

Naorae

If any list members are interested in images of the ceremony please contact TSUBAKI AMERICA SHRINE www.Tsubakishrine.org kannushi@Tsubakishrine.org

Thank you
Koichi Barrish
Tsubaki Grand Shrine
Old 04-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Lawrence Koichi Barrish wrote: View Post
Yes, this year marked the 40th year since the passing of Ueshiba O'Sensei...
The photos are great, Sensei! It looks like it was the usual great training with great people. It would have been nice to be there.
See you soon,
Matthew

Gambarimashyo!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #12
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Lawrence Koichi Barrish wrote: View Post
Yes, this year marked the 40th year since the passing of Ueshiba O'Sensei. The Mitama of O'Sensei and the Mitama of Nidai Doshu Kisshomaru Sensei are enshrined at the Gyoman-Do, the Buddhist Hall of Tsubaki Grand Shrine in Mie, Japan. Ueshiba Moriteru Sensei (current Doshu) made his annual visit to Tsubaki Grand Shrine to pay respects to the mitama of his Father and Grandfather on 2/25/09 near the time of Ohigan). The Mitama of O'Sensei is also enshrined at the North America Branch Shrine, Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America where on the weekend of 4/24-26 the Aiki Taisai was be conducted. This event will included Aiki Keiko, Misogi Shuho (ritual water purification), Chinko Gyoho (Shinto active meditation) and the Ireisai (the Shinto memorial ceremony for repose of the mitama of Kaiso).
The Shinto Memorial Shikishidai (flow of ceremony) is:

Shybatsu/ preliminary purification of food offerings, tamagushi and attendees

Ippai/ one bow to begin the ceremony (if taking place where O'Sensei is not an enshrined Kami then Koushin-no-Gi [ inviting the Mitama to a himorogi- temporary shrine antennae] is done at this time

Kensen/ food offering

Saishi..group recitation of 1) Oharahi-no-Kotoba/ Great Purification Prayer 2) Mitama Shizume-no-Kotoba/ words of soul pacification followed by the Saishi/ prayer of the ceremony

Tamgushi hairei/ the Shinto Priest and representatives of various groups offer the sacred evergreen branch to the Mitama of Kaiso

Tessen/ removal of food offerings

Ippai/ one bow to close the ceremony or if before the himorogi Soushin-no-Gi [seeing off the Kami].

Naorae

If any list members are interested in images of the ceremony please contact TSUBAKI AMERICA SHRINE www.Tsubakishrine.org kannushi@Tsubakishrine.org

Thank you
Koichi Barrish
Tsubaki Grand Shrine
Beautiful!

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 05-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #13
Keithjohngates
Dojo: Perth Traditional Aikido
Australia

Thanks for all the post regarding what you do for O'sensei memorial, Especially Rev.K. Barrish, your articles have provided much inspiration to me.

I was lucky enough to be present for the Tai Sai celebrations in Iwama this year. It was a great event, the memorial Shikishidai (flow of ceremony) seemed to be as Rev Barrish has discribed, being a non Japanese and not completely familar with Shinto protocol it was difficult to follow exactly what was going on. Although the mood of the 1500 people present and the power of the Kototama could be felt by all. The doshu performed a demonstration after the priests had left the Jinga. There are some videos and pictures of the event at http://www.iwamauchideshi2009.blogspot.com they are in an older post so you will have to find them.

After the formal ceremony we had lunch together all 1500 people. Nemoto Sensei my present instuctor had sent the ichiban to secure the spot that was one of O'Sensei favorite lunch spots. Drinking at least one Sake should not be ommitted from the memorial !!
Keith