Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-15-2005, 06:39 PM   #1
LouieLouie
Dojo: Aïkido Mochizuki - Lévis, Qc, Canada
Canada
Ki Symbol 500th kyu says "hello"

Hi everyone,

Yeah I know. You just took a look at my username and couldn't resist singing to yourself

"Louie, louie, louie, louie...."

(I think that was from Hot Chocolate).

I get a lot of that. Doesn't mind at all

Anyhow, I'm new both to this forum and to aïkido : never visited a dojo before, never got flipped over, but will soon be. This is why I'm qualifying myself as being 500th kyu.

Starting next monday, I'm taking my first lesson at the Aïkikaï from Laval University in Québec City, Canada.

I took the decision to take aïkido lessons last July, so you can say that I've been waiting for this moment for quite a while.

Before reading on aïkido, I often said to myself (I talk to myself a lot ) that I would sign up for any martial art where there would be no competition. I'm 40 and there is no way I'm going to fight with some 20 something who recently saw Karate Kid and is eager to beat the hell out of me.

No seriously, when I was young, I took kung fu lessons and really enjoyed it. That was until the teacher thought that I was ready to fight. I did, but that turned a joyful experience into a nightmare. What I liked though about those kung fu lessons, was when before each class, the master picked someone in the room and threw some Confucius sentence (don't know exactly) at him so he can tell everyone present what his thoughts were about this.

What I remember from that experience, is that this master not only taught how to fight, but also how to think. That impressed me and still impresses me some 30 years later.

So I recently went on a search for some sport. Turning 40, I had to "move" again. I read about Tae kwon do, Karate, Kung Fu, Jujustu, Judo, etc. And then, I came across a text on O' Sensei Ueshiba. I was stunned. It was as if I had finally found what I was searching for a long, long time. The text was talking about a "non-violent martial art". What !? A "non-violent martial art" ?

I've always admired Ghandi, so you can bet that this text caught my eye. I couldn't even believe my own eyes that a martial art of that kind existed. A martial art where efforts must be put both the mindset and the more physical aspect. "Aïkido, I read, is more than a martial art. It's a way of living."

And there were no competition.

So I eagerly went on a search for a Dojo. After reading on the myriads of aïkido styles (that gave me a headache!), I chose to follow the Aïkikaï style. Luckily, not very, very far from where I live, there was a dojo. The rest of the problem was to wait for the summer to end so I could sign up for a beginners class

So here I am, waiting and looking forward for my first class next Monday. I have my dogi. I'm prepared. Since a week or two, there is this phrase I read in an Aîkido book that's goes over and over in my mind (a bit like that Louie Louis song). It's in French, but it says something like:

"The aïkidoka is the one who, through his techniques, and with sufficient vigilance, allows himself to open the door and let the tiger get out of the cage."

Thanks all for letting me introduce myself.

"Louie, louie, louie, louie...."
Old 09-15-2005, 07:44 PM   #2
Camille Lore
Dojo: Lehigh Fukasakai
United_States
Re: 500th kyu says "hello"

Welcome! I'm confident that you will find what you are looking for in aikido. You have certainly found an art that wil engage your mind and heart.
Enjoy....
Old 09-15-2005, 08:58 PM   #3
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

welcome. If you can keep 'SHOSHIN' , the Beginner's Mind, you can learn to roll and tumble like a kid. Best of luck to you
Old 09-16-2005, 06:52 AM   #4
akiy

Hi Louis,

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-16-2005, 08:45 AM   #5
wmreed

Dojo: Columbus Aikikai
United_States

Welcome Louis!

William M. Reed
Columbus, OH USA
wmreed@columbus.rr.com
"I'm not the author William Reed -- yet."
Old 09-17-2005, 12:00 AM   #6
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Nice intro Louis, im sure you'll love aikido!

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:55 AM   #7
soorkeu atrooshi
Dojo: satomi
Iraq

Very nice introduction Louis and welcome aboard.
Soor!
Old 09-17-2005, 06:27 AM   #8
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

Ah, Louie, Louie-san,

...you don't gotta go now.......I am alittle older and it was The Kingsmen...

...or, Louie, Louie, Louie, Louie...Louie, Louie, Louie, Lou-iiiiii, you ain't gotta cry....Stories, your choice...

..My pleasure to make your acquaintance....enjoy the journey, it is eye opening....

Mickey
Old 09-17-2005, 06:08 PM   #9
LouieLouie
Dojo: Aïkido Mochizuki - Lévis, Qc, Canada
Canada

Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote:

...or, Louie, Louie, Louie, Louie...Louie, Louie, Louie, Lou-iiiiii, you ain't gotta cry....Stories, your choice...

Mickey
Yep Mickey, that's the one I had in mind. But, you reminded me also 'bout the "Louie, Lou "I", oh no, " sang by the Kingsmen.

Anyhow, thank you all for the warm welcome.

Louie.