Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-20-2003, 04:43 PM   #1
Charles Hammond
Coming in from the cold

Hello,

Although I am likely to be only an intermittent poster I thought it polite to introduce myself.

I studied Aikido under Paul Preece Sensei, 4th Dan (himself a student of Ralph Reynolds Sensei), in Wolverhampton from 1982 until 1991. I then moved to London where, despite access to a wealth of talented sensei, I stopped training.

Anyway after a 12 year hiatus I have decided to stop being an armchair Aikidoka and return to the mat.

I am hoping to begin training with David Rubens Sensei in the near future - probably in a beginners class since I am overweight, unfit and have the natural flexibility of a lamp post.

I tried sitting in seiza a couple of days ago and lasted about 30 seconds - my shins were killing me. It always used to be just the knees but know the whole of lower leg seems to have taken against me. Still I am hoping that a little diet and exercise and the familar feel of being smacked into the mat will have me feeling better in no time.

Yours respectfully

Charles Hammond
Old 06-20-2003, 05:06 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Hi, and welcome to aikiweb and back to aikido.

You would be wise to incorporate good warmup and stretching into your routine--before each training session for sure, and on "off days" too if you can-- in order to avoid injuries to your joints.

Warmup should be done BEFORE stretching-- 5 minutes jumping jacks, jogging, exercise bike--anything that gets large muscle groups moving, and raises their temperature so that they are warmer when you start stretching. Stretches should be gone into slowly, without bouncing, and held -- well "experts" vary but 15 seconds seems like a happy medium.

cheers!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-20-2003, 06:32 PM   #3
akiy

Hi Charles,

Welcome to the AikiWeb Forums and thanks for your introduction. I hope you'll keep us up-to-date about your imminent return to aikido!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-22-2003, 12:39 AM   #4
Daniel Blanco
Dojo: Suffolk Aikikai
Good Luck Charles just take it slow and you catch on right away, its like riding a bike you never forget.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:06 PM   #5
Peter Malecek
Dojo: Sei Aikido Dojo (Prague)
Charles,

Welcome back.

Peter

Peter