Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #26
Trish Greene
Dojo: Aikido-Kajukenbo Self Defense Center
United_States
Re: Why Aikido?

My son was interested in a martial arts but I didn't want to put him in to a "tae Kwon Do " factory. I;ve always had an interest as well. We started off with Jujitsufor about 6 mos, then moved from the area. One night when I went to pick him up from Scouts, I couldn't find him. He ended up being next door at the "new dojo" that just opened up. I found him there enthralled with watching Miller Sensei practice. I was blown away by the graceful intention of the moves!
Old 02-06-2006, 01:19 PM   #27
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

I've stuck it out because aikido helped me learn restraint.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:33 PM   #28
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States

I will give my true answer since I already posted my smart ass one. My brother started taking aikido in seattle, after him telling me about it, I decided to try a class, and I loved it, I was hooked, two years later my instructor decided to retire, and I really wasnt a big fan of anyof the other aikido schools around, so 6 years down the road I get there urge to go check out a class, and the instructor was one of the senior students from my old school, I watched a class at first and just had a huge smile on my face from the beginning so I signed up right there and am back into it.....

Dan Hulley
Old 02-06-2006, 02:43 PM   #29
Michael Meister
Dojo: South Hetton
United Kingdom

I stumbled over it, and got stuck... that's it, more or less...
Old 02-06-2006, 03:30 PM   #30
neaikikai
Dojo: New England Aikikai
United_States

I saw the new Steven Seagal movie at that time with my brother, I never seen anything like it, he told me if you like aikido, then go see Mitsunari Kanai Shihan. He was 5 miles from my house. If there wasn't a top notch Sensei, I wouldn't have started. When I learn anything, I like to go to very respected teachers, or I don't have the motivation. So in my case being close to New England Aikikai is the reason.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:54 PM   #31
crbateman

Quote:
Michael DiFronzo wrote:
...he told me if you like aikido, then go see Mitsunari Kanai Shihan.
A very good one, and gone before his time. You were fortunate to have had the opportunity.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:26 AM   #32
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

I like it. I was always interested in japanese culture and history, having friends whose parents worked in japan and brought home a lot of cool stuff and stories. Dabbled with karate (not my thing) and Iaido (not many teachers up here). As a teenager I got very into japanese History and read a lot of books, hagakure, book of 5 rings etc etc. I read Angry White Pyjama's in 2000, on the reccomendation of my dad and I thought it was a good book (im aware of the issues with it folks ) then following a trip to japan I enrolled at a university class, trained for 3 months before joining white rose aikido and loved it. Still do.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #33
justinmaceachern
Dojo: St. george
Canary Islands

I joined because i was interseted as to why these people(uke's) were always beeing flopped around. I mean i kept walking by the school everytime i went by i heard hyte crash boom. slap slap.
I was facinated so i joined, I just havent been the same since. Its quiet a powerfull feeling being apart of some thing like aikido.
I hope O'Sensei is looking down at all of us
Old 02-07-2006, 11:12 AM   #34
koz

Dojo: Kaiso Dobun Kenkyukai
New Zealand

It was the '80s and people were doing all manner of crazy things.

True mastery can be gained
by letting things go their own way.

Lao Tzu - Tao Te Ching, Ch48
Old 02-19-2006, 06:50 AM   #35
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

I would like to thank you all for sharing your thoughts...

Mickey
Old 02-19-2006, 07:47 AM   #36
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States

i watched a class (my first sensei) and then i participated in one. after i felt him "move me" without moving me i was hooked. plus they were all dressed like samurai jedis.

Old 02-19-2006, 08:28 AM   #37
Toothpaste

I looked up information on a wide variety of martial arts on the Internet in an attempt to find a new hobby that would be a benefit to me. I did not want training in a violent or competition-orientated art because I felt that competition would sway me from my personal goals, and that unrequired violence would interfere with the ethics that I live by, so the logical choice was Aikido.

I did some more research and found a dojo near my home and I started training. I was (and probably still am, but to a lesser degree) a fairly shy individual, but Aikido is rapidly helping me with confidence and other attributes of my life. The people at the club, especially the Sensei, were all very nice people and made me feel very welcome.

The Fates really have conspired in my favor. I now, by a complete twist of fate, live opposite my Sensei's home and I catch a lift in his car to each session.

Aikido has had such a positive impact on my life, and in the process of trying to finding a fun hobby, I've opened up the doorway to a whole realm I had no idea existed.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:32 AM   #38
Josh Reyer

Japan

Of all the places near my house, Twin Cities Aikido Center looked the best. It was neither a franchise, nor a fly-by-night operation, nor the Cobra Kai. My sister and I watched a class, received some brochures, and later decided to join. It seemed like a good art, with a good philosophy. The monthly fee of only $20 for students was also inviting.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 02-19-2006, 04:09 PM   #39
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

I value both idealism and practicality equally and feel the best forms of each are inclusive of the other. After reading about various arts I found Aikido fit best with my idealism; after training a little while I felt it was also a practical approach...besides, it was hard for me to avoid training at a mountain shrine set beside a river like Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja...it kind of sets up a fun atmosphere for someone like me who grew up pretending I was a ninja every chance I got. Things have changed quite a bit since then, but it's still very fun to get thrown around!!!

Gambarimashyo!
Old 02-19-2006, 08:10 PM   #40
Robert Broyles

Dojo: International Budo Ryokukai
United_States

The 1st time I saw a Aikido class.The Instructor and another student were on the mat. The student punched towards the instructors abdomen hard and fast. He turned (tenkan) just being missed by an inch, lading the attacker, he turned in kotegaeshi and the uke, feet nearly missing the ceiling. he fell gracefully into a hard fall. I couldn't believe what had just happened. From that day on i have been training religiously. Hey Some people Golf for enjoyment, and good for them. I practice Aikido.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:17 PM   #41
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote:
I am curious as to why most have pursued Aikido...If you would kindly share your thoughts I would be very grateful.
Mickey
The aikido dojo is the only one which fit my time-table within reasonable distance.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:06 AM   #42
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

My first reply was more about why I started. In general why aikido?

It is simply the best!

Dirk
Old 02-21-2006, 01:23 AM   #43
doronin

From my early years I was captivated by the very idea of going with the flow, and making use of its own force to get where I want to be, instead of opposing, fighting with it.

Aikido was the only art I knew that would teach me that.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:04 AM   #44
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Justin MacEachern wrote:
I hope O'Sensei is looking down at all of us
He may well be Justin, and I bet he's not always smiling!

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:16 AM   #45
graham

Dojo: Northampton Ki Aikido Club
United Kingdom

Great question!

From the age of 8 I studied Martial Arts (Judo, Karate, Fencing, Kung-fu), but packed it in around 17. Then, aged 31, I realised a couple of things: the Estate that we had recently moved onto was rougher than it seemed (I part-work in Community Development) - so I wanted my daughter to learn self-defence. Though I now advocated non-violence, I really missed training, especially Hung Kuen. I needed to learn to relax. Finally,part of my work involves violence intervention and prevention (spouse abuse, bullying, etc.).

So, in the light of all that, how could I not study Aikido?! After I looked into things a bit, it turned out that a student of Sensei K. Williams taught about 5 minutes from my house. And now my daughter and I wouldn't leave if you paid us!
Old 06-24-2006, 05:43 AM   #46
kuniggety
Dojo: Okinawa Aikikai
Japan

Honestly, I got into it because it was the only thing around here besides karate that I could find, lol. Don't get me wrong, karate is cool, but I studied it as a kid for a couple of years and just wanted to do something different. When I went and watched my first class, I was in awe. My sensei was making large men (although he's a decent sized guy himself) drop to their knees in agony and fly through the air as easily as he was swatting away a gnat. I was in awe and am now hooked Although, I currently feel like that gnat... lol

<-- retarded - last name is actually Walker
Aikido no n00b desu.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:31 AM   #47
Jonathan Han

Dojo: Aikido Shobukan Dojo
United_States

I think there's a strong aesthetic appeal to Aikido. Unlike most McDojos, Aikido dojos are usually very nicely decorated and feel more like a shrine than a gym. O Sensei looks like an archetype of a martial arts master. Even though other styles offer similar techniques and also promises spiritual growth, Aikido makes one feel like one is practicing a superior sophisticated art. It might be the Japanese sense of style and ritual. The experience is like staying in a four star hotel compared to a cheap motel.

Last edited by Jonathan Han : 06-24-2006 at 09:34 AM. Reason: typo

Old 06-24-2006, 09:36 AM   #48
Tom Johnson
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk

I was looking for a martial art school somewhere near my house, as I realized i was 19 and couldn't defend myself what so ever (I live on the border of the ghetto). I checked out an online database of Martial Art styles with descriptions of each. I was actually drawn to kung-fu originally but the dojo was a little bit of a hike, and the general mood of the class was too competitive for me.

After looking into Aikido, I found out that it is offered through my university (Old Dominion University), so i registered and checked it out, only to go and realize that it was much to strict and boot camp-like for me. I came on this site and ran a dojo search and learned about Aikido of Norfolk, taught by Jim Baker Sensei, and after viewing a class I was hooked! I attend every class i can and don't plan on stopping any time soon.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #49
shadowedge

Dojo: Sensei Aikido Dojo / Marikina Metro Manila
Philippines

I've tried a few different arts before I studied aikido....

I realized that for me to be efficient in the previous arts required that i have to be physically superior (most of the time).
Plus during sparing we'd exert too much energy... it made me think, how will this be useful if i just waste my energy on an opponent i probabbly can't beat?

I came accross Akido years ago, we were taught how to conserve our own "ki" while, guiding/ directing the opponent's. On top of that one big difference it had from the other arts was the search for inner peace... it taught me to deal with my worst enemy >> myself.

and I've been in love with the art since...

________

on top of that >> its really cool!
Old 06-28-2006, 05:36 AM   #50
UnholyFracas
Dojo: Devises Budo
United Kingdom

By Accident. I'd always wanted to try a Martial Art but despite enjoying Karate & Tae Kwon Do I still just gave the sports up without a qualm when the clubs finished.
Then, 6/7 (8?) years ago my Mum took me to a class (she started in her 60s and got 3rd Kyu, she's my hero!) and something clicked. I don't actually remember how I felt on my first lesson but it must have had some affect on me as I'm still here training and will be until I keel over.

We see things not as they are but as we are...

Katsumoto can rescue me anytime.