Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-23-2004, 03:57 PM   #1
ecollander
United_States
Is previous MA experience a plus?

I studied TKD for about 8 years (but haven't trained/studied seriously since then -- about 5 years). I am considering joining the Dojo where I live to study Aikido and was wondering if my previous MA training will help me or hinder me.
We practiced rolls and tumbling at the Dojang, so I know that will be of tremendous help in Aikido.
But since TKD is a much "harder" style involving offensive strikes with hands and feet, will that hinder my progress in Aikido? (read: will I have far too much to "unlearn" than someone with no previous MA training?)
Thanks.
Eric
Old 09-23-2004, 04:43 PM   #2
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
Re: Is previous MA experience a plus?

I think the bit that will benifit you the most is that you previously stuck with a martial art for 8 years, so you know what kind of dedication it takes to get somewhere. That you are not going to be 8th dan after two weeks.
Everything else you can forget for a while I think

Old 09-23-2004, 04:50 PM   #3
shihonage
United_States

Your ability to see openings should help your understanding of Aikido techniques and the openings they create or remove.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:56 AM   #4
stoker
Dojo: Dallas Judo & Jiu Jitsu
Smile Re: Is previous MA experience a plus?

My 'Judo Brain' kicks in every so often and ruins techniques. Years of grabbing and pulling applied to Aikido have hindered me a wee bit. The 'wee' being the sound of me sailing through the air.

dave stokes
Old 09-24-2004, 10:04 AM   #5
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

It can both help and hinder your aikido at the same time. I've witnessed this with fellow students. We had a guy join about a year and half ago and he could easily learn the moves on a technical side, but he seemed to a serious conflict in understanding what aikido was about on the principle side including training principles and the concept of blending. But his aikido IS very good, and he'll be testing for his 3rd kyu this October, by comparison most in our dojo get to third kyu in two and half to three years of consistent traing.

Also, he came in with a very "bravado" attitude ("I've got a black belt in 'xyz' art and was in the military") that really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Although, he has lost that attitude now, but it was a real big blow to his ego when most folks in out dojo just weren't impressed by it as we have many people in our dojo who were either formerly in the military, are police officers, and/ or former black belts from other arts as well.

But given that, I've seen some really great aikido from folks with former martial arts background and they really do contribute an additional dynamic that you don't get from folks who don't.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 09-24-2004, 04:42 PM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO (coming from CQC/FMA/JKD) past experience is both a plus and a negative. The discipline helps, the movement hinders. Try to keep them separate until they integrate naturally.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-24-2004, 07:22 PM   #7
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

I'd have to agree with Lynn here.

From my experience with students of different backgrounds, including a long time TKD practitioner, the discipline served him well, he was one of my most dedicated students. However, under the pressure of resistance randori he would fall into his previous pattern of fighting, which was TKD stances, distancing and footwork, making life a bit difficult when he needed the ma ai to apply Aikido techniques. As a result he had to block out his programmed TKD reactions to get technigues to work under pressure.

Just some thoughts.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 09-24-2004, 09:08 PM   #8
disabledaccount

I found it very difficult to rid myself of the peace and tranquility fostered in my former art. Adopting Aikido's murderous kill-or-be-killed philosophy took some time and alot of effort, but it was well worth it. I now fear no attacker, for I know that I'm willing to take it much farther than any mugger, sacrificing my very life for the chance to take his.