Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-23-2003, 11:42 AM   #1
A.w.H
Dojo: Seikokan
How to become relaxed?

I was wondering if there are any tips or rituals that would help relax one's mind, (eg. meditation, type of tea, sleep)

I found that somtimes relaxing is very hard to do, and would like to get a few pointers. Thanks guys
Old 06-23-2003, 11:54 AM   #2
taras
United Kingdom
try to watch your breath. just breathe slowly and mentally follow inhalations and exhalations. I find this a very easy technique for relaxation and getting rid of worreing thoughts.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:59 AM   #3
mike lee
get parallel

The sponge exercise as taught in Hatha Yoga is the single best method for relaxation that I've ever learned. If done correctly, it also facilitates proper breathing (from the abdomen) which is critical for complete relaxation and the cultivation of ki in the body.

I think that the best way to learn this technique is to have a qualified yoga teacher take you through the process. It's quite simple, but it should be done correctly for maximum effectiveness.

(Also — lay off the coffee and/or other caffinated drinks and stimulants.)
Old 06-23-2003, 12:46 PM   #4
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Andrew,

In what kind of situations do you want to be more relaxed?

Charles
Old 06-23-2003, 04:36 PM   #5
Scott Sweetland

I have found that visualizing my first Aikido instructor doing rolls on a mat instantly relaxes me for some reason. Sometimes it helps to visualize the white gi and blue hakama forming a slowly spinning yin yang symbol.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:58 PM   #6
A.w.H
Charles:

I find my self relaxed in the dojo most of the time, but i guess what i am trying to say is,"how become more relaked and calm outside the dojo, in every day life."

Im not sure what it is, but somtimes i find my self uncomfortable. Obvously there isn't some magic pill we can take for our problems, but thats why im asking for some insight so hopefully i can work my self up to that point. Thanks again
Old 06-23-2003, 09:01 PM   #7
A.w.H
In the previous coment i didnt mean to work my way up and discover a magic bean in some lab, i ment mentaly or gradulay become beter with working with it, sory about any misunderstanding
Old 06-23-2003, 09:54 PM   #8
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Andrew,

How about the next time you feel that way to try to just sit with the feeling for awhile? It could be a great opportunity for you to learn something about yourself. I would suggest not to be so quick to get rid of the feeling.

You may not believe this but I had an Aikido friend who could consciously decide not to sweat. He would sweat or not based on what he decided. Often he would decide not to sweat as it messed up his clothes and ran into his eyes. When I heard about this, I told him that he was crazy. I told him that we are supposed to sweat, that it cools off an overheated body.

I moved away and years later I ran into him and he told me that he had thought a lot about what I said and had decided to always sweat. I just wished that I had that degree of control over my body.

The point is, that even though we may have some skill to change ourselves, I think we should be careful in using it. We may miss something more important than just being uncomfortable.

Charles
Old 06-23-2003, 10:16 PM   #9
SeiserL

United_States
Without sounding too philosophical, IMHO the best way to relax the body is to relax the mind. The best way to relax the mind is to visualize the skill as if you already had it and step inside the picture, i.e. rolling like a relaxed ball or moving as if you were doing the waza as a solo exercise. Focus on your relaxed, deep, rhythmic breathing. It just take practice.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 06-25-2003, 07:01 PM   #10
thomasgroendal

Dojo: Hoshu Portland Dojo
United_States
A couple of tricks.

Stick the tip or your tongue against the roof of your mouth and the back of your teeth. Close the teeth just enough to hold a piece of paper, but not to cut it, or mar it.

pull the chin back, and head level. Make your ears over your shoulders over your hips, in a vertical line to the earth.

That is half of good zazen, good posture, and the mouth stuff is particularly good at shutting the chatter that bothers us, and gets us riled up in our braincases.

The mouth posture also isolates the face. Try making goofy faces with this mouth, then open it and try it again. Iai people often do this so that unnecessary expressions do not escape onto the surface of their bodies.

Another thing is imagine melting a half inch into the mat before welcoming the attack. That is an antidote to your feelings and your center rising through the roof as you "sally forth" to "rise up to the challenge"

Another thing, to prevent strength from entering your shoulders and cutting off energy from your center, is to completely remove the power from your shoulders. Lift your full arms as far as they can go without the shoulders rising. They should feel very heavy. I can only raise my arms up to my chest, before they lock. From there I have to use my shoulder muscles to rise higher. If you can move with these *lumber arms* you can be VERY powerful. Of course, this is far from anything new, or a super ninja trick, just a way to visualize "not using strength".

good luck

Life is choice.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:58 PM   #11
C. Emerson
Dojo: Emerson's Martial Arts
But a book on meditation, and start to practice. It is easier with a teacher, although it can be done by yourself, it's just very difficult. To stay disciplined on a regular schedule is tough. I struggle with it all the time. I'm good for a while, then something will come up, break my pattern, schedule and it throws my meditation into a spin. Just keep going!!!!!